Does anyone live in the Beamsville/Grimsby area?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

I WAS Birddog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Does anyone live in the Beamsville/Grimsby area?

Post by I WAS Birddog »

Hess!! :lol: yeah...it's r3tard3d there on weekend nights and I'll go there sober to watch the crowd. However the patio lunch crowd is a different story.

There's a good vibe & energy on Locke South . I compare Locke South to the Yorkville of Hamilton. Waterdown is alright, but the name in itself invokes a 'blegh' about it. Watered-down is the image that pops into my head. :wink:

If most people are like myself and just hate driving any where when at home, Aberdeen & Locke South is staggering distance from shops, boutiques, awesome original restaurants, a modern gym, a chocolate factory/store, an original toy store beauty salons and spas, pubs, liquor and beer store, Yoga, a Starbucks a REAL meat butcher, an amazing cheese factory/store, ice-cream parlour, original pet supply store, women's shoe store, women's clothing stores, estheticians, cafe's, beautiful parks...doggy parks...an 18 hole golf course, a ski hill, private tennis courts, public tennis courts, indoor soccer facility, the GO Train, "Goodness Me" grocery store, beautiful churches for religious people and the "West Town" for Athiests like myself ;-) Also, Copps Coliseum & Hamilton's famous Farmers Market are just 10 minutes walk...

The homes in this area are Victorian, and also there are upscale mansions just around the corner. INCLUDING amazing people along your walks in the area and all know each other by their first name. ALL this just 100' from where I lay my head.

This street is the best kept secret in southern Ontario...
---------- ADS -----------

Before you plot your revenge on someone, make sure to dig two graveyard plots.
http://twitter.com/@iwasbirddog
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

But it's in Hamilton right? yeah I know the hammer isn't all that bad, but I had to poke fun all the same. We'll be looking into all these areas over the next while. priority #1 is to sell current house and thats taking a lot longer then anticipated.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
warbirdpilot7
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by warbirdpilot7 »

KAG wrote:But it's in Hamilton right? yeah I know the hammer isn't all that bad, but I had to poke fun all the same. We'll be looking into all these areas over the next while. priority #1 is to sell current house and thats taking a lot longer then anticipated.
When you have spent alot of time in Hamilton(growing up) hearing people poking fun at the city gets routine. In fact, so much so, its like breathing. I dont think about it, it just happens :wink: One thing I will say that driving west to east on Main st. through the heart of Hamilton, takes no time. All the stop lights are synchronized......Try doing that in London, Kitchener or Cambridge.

You have got some real good feedback, so I wish you all the best in selling and finding that "dream" place in this area.

I WAS Birddog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by I WAS Birddog »

I love the fact that Hamilton gets looked down upon because it keeps the Toronto yuppies away and the property taxes low. In fact those aren't steel mills when driving over the Skyway Bridge...they're pretencious yuppie deterants. Out of the many steel mills that once operated here, only one remains open AND at less than 50% production of what it used to be. Which means the fish in the Hamilton Harbour are 'almost' edible again ;-)

Good luck in your sale/search of your old/new home KAG

mattedfred
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mattedfred »

We moved from Winnipeg to Waterdown in 1998. We were renting an apartment in Waterdown and I was based at YYZ. We loved it there.

We are currently living in Cambridge and don't know why anyone would want to raise a family outside the Waterloo Region. They seem to have everything a family could ever need.

Great tax base and great programs as a result.

I also don't know why anyone would rather drive the 400 or the 403/QEW/407 instead of the 401.

Northern Skies
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Northern Skies »

I can add to the info about Ancaster. I fly in the bush but live here in the off-season. If I were buying a house in this area, I would be looking at something near the south side of garner road, toward the west side of Ancaster. Basically anywhere between this and the grand river is where i would be looking. Have a look around book/shaver/fiddler's green/garner and move outwarsds from there. Garner road is the border for the "greenbelt", and thus does not have hyperinflated property values because developers cannot tread there. On the south side of garner, land is something like $6000 per acre, and on the north side it is $600,000 per acre. If you are toward the west side of town near duff's corners, the main roads leading to the "village" of ancaster, hamilton mountain, and dundas all converge in one area. So does the 403, it passes right through there. This makes it easy to go wherever you want. Schools are right along the north side of garner, everyday shopping is 3 mins away at wilson and fiddler's green or at duff's corners, and big-city big-box shopping is 10 mins away at meadowlands.

Of course, this suits my tastes and not necessarily those of others. You will not be looking at brand new cookie-cutter homes with small lots. Instead, you would be looking at a somewhat older home on anywhere from 1/2 to 100 acres. Your neighbours would be on similar lots, or you may be surrounded by farms. You would probably have a shop or some other outbuilding on your lot as well. You don't need to take your kids to the park, because your backyard is better. This sounds ideal to me because I would not be happy living in the crowded part of a city. Out there, you have all the room you need but are no farther away from anything than someone in suburbia would be.

As far as the 407 is concerned, isn't it the most expensive toll highway in the world? I understand that it may work for you if you can afford to trade money for time at the rate they charge. But that rate is not for me, and I refuse to drive on it. I can see that many others feel the same way, since it's empty most of the time. Just another one of ontario's grand f*ckups. :)

Best of luck to you!

Northern Skies
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Northern Skies »

I WAS Birddog wrote:Locke South is staggering distance from shops, boutiques, awesome original restaurants, a modern gym, a chocolate factory/store, an original toy store beauty salons and spas, pubs, liquor and beer store, Yoga, a Starbucks a REAL meat butcher, an amazing cheese factory/store, ice-cream parlour, original pet supply store, women's shoe store, women's clothing stores, estheticians, cafe's, beautiful parks...doggy parks...an 18 hole golf course, a ski hill, private tennis courts, public tennis courts, indoor soccer facility, the GO Train, "Goodness Me" grocery store, beautiful churches for religious people and the "West Town" for Athiests like myself ;-) Also, Copps Coliseum & Hamilton's famous Farmers Market are just 10 minutes walk...
Hey, you forgot the best store on locke.
That would be Al Simmons Gun Shop. :D

I WAS Birddog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by I WAS Birddog »

Northern Skies wrote: Hey, you forgot the best store on locke.
That would be Al Simmons Gun Shop. :D
:lol: Hamilton wouldn't be complete without a family friendly little neighbor gun shop.
(other Yuppie deterrent)

Return to “General Comments”