Buying a US registered plane

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Orville W.
Rank 0
Rank 0

Buying a US registered plane

Post by Orville W. »

Hello there,

I just got my PPL and I would like to buy a C172 or something similar. I'm not to interested in a partnership, and it seems the US has many more options. It would be used mainly for time building and for training towards my CPL.

I would appreciate if someone could put me in contact with someone who specializes in imports. I've heard some pretty big horror stories, so I want to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into. Also, I would really like to talk face to face with whoever is going to do the import. I'm living just outside of Renfrew Ontario, but routinely travel into Arnprior and Ottawa.

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Orville W. on Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louis
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Buying a US registered plane

Post by Louis »

There's already a few threads on here about this, may I suggest giving the search engine a shot.

If you don't mind, telling us where you are located would help giving you relevant local contacts.

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=35338
viewtopic.php?t=30208
viewtopic.php?t=28774
viewtopic.php?t=23625
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=58914
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=55449
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=41990
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=47931

Orville W.
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Orville W. »

Just outside Renfrew Ontario. I routinely travel to Arnprior and Ottawa.

Northern Skies
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Northern Skies »

One common issue I can think of off the top of my head is that the FAA issues field approvals for modifications which are not recognized by transport canada. Apparently this bites a lot of prospective buyers.

culver10
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by culver10 »

I import planes for my customers all the time. I just imported a beautiful 182F and I’m working on a really nice 210 and also a Scout. You hear all sorts of horror stories on forums like this, but if you pick the right aircraft, it is quite easy if you use the right Minister’s Delegate for Maintenance. The safe way is to send your AME to inspect the aircraft down there and look for any problems. On a simple aircraft like a fixed gear Cessna I can do a large part of the import inspection down there in a day. If the aircraft is suitable I then fly it home with my current FAA license and then import if into Canada. If you would like more detailed information, please PM me.

Return to “General Comments”