Supplemental Income

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

cptn2016
Rank 3
Rank 3

Supplemental Income

Post by cptn2016 »

So apparently pilots don't make much money when they're starting out...

This got me thinking, well, there's gotta be some creative ways to make some money on the side while you build towards something that will eventually be a rewarding and decently-paying career.

Anybody have any experiences or ideas?

Someone I worked with a few years ago mentioned he did freelance technical writing...all you would need is an internet connection (I guess not exactly a given in some of our more remote communities). It wasn't much work but apparently it paid very well (his words, although he didn't specify an exact figure).

Or someone that's musically inclined, I wonder if it'd be possible to teach some guitar or piano on the side...

Or am I ignoring the harsh reality of 14 hr days where all you want to do when you get home is grab a bite and collapse into bed, and do it all over again 5 hrs later?
---------- ADS -----------

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Supplemental Income

Post by fish4life »

this has been discussed before, A) not all starting flying jobs require supplemental income
B) if you do want to get a job that has tips involved

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I'm going to be blunt here. Don't take a job you can't afford to work. It will only take up valuable time you could use to find a better paying job.

Northern Skies
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Northern Skies »

All of my entry level jobs required a constant time commitment. I was always at work. Employment on the side was not possible.

However, you can put almost any skill to work much more easily than flying if you can afford a small commitment. I cannot speak for all flying jobs, so there may be some out there that give you some spare time. A job like dumping skydivers may give you some time off in the middle of the week. One opportunity I had was teaching rock-climbing. Others I can think of off the top of my head are joining the reserves or teaching in the cadet instructor cadre, writing, coaching, temp work through an agency, and etc. Further development of skills lead to more opportunities. I know a guy who flies full-time, but is also a freelance engineer.

coreydotcom
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coreydotcom »

might sound outlandish to many but buy an apartment building. when it's paid off it'll be your retirement money (the rent from the other tenants) and maybe you can even live in it for "free".

im not talking 100 units. 4 or more would be okay. You can get a 5 unit in some places for as low as $209K that don't need much more investment. you'll need to be able to come up with 25% down though... :roll:

SII
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SII »

move north start sleeping with a nurse or a teacher. either the health region or the board of education will pay for your housing. her salarie will cover food for both of you, that leaves your wage for booze and smokes.

Most importantly, do not get a northren girl pregnant. that can get real expensive.

Winning
warbirdpilot7
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by warbirdpilot7 »

coreydotcom wrote:might sound outlandish to many but buy an apartment building. when it's paid off it'll be your retirement money (the rent from the other tenants) and maybe you can even live in it for "free".

im not talking 100 units. 4 or more would be okay. You can get a 5 unit in some places for as low as $209K that don't need much more investment. you'll need to be able to come up with 25% down though... :roll:
Possilbe........If you buy a cheap building, is is almost always going to be in a rough part of town(If it is in a major city). I think you can make a conclusion as to the type of people you will be renting to..

In a small town, it maybe different..

coreydotcom
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by coreydotcom »

warbirdpilot7 wrote:Possilbe........If you buy a cheap building, is is almost always going to be in a rough part of town(If it is in a major city). I think you can make a conclusion as to the type of people you will be renting to..

In a small town, it maybe different..

I was thinking small town :D

I have one, it's great, it's in a smallish town, and the tenants are...umm... special. but they pay (mostly)!

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bizjets101 »

Seems to have gone un-noticed by the mainstream - but Health Canada has begun to had out cultivation licenses. So far over 300 issued, and another 1100 for personal cultivation.

In Toronto - there are 16,000 members of compassion clubs that go thru 500 pounds of weed a week. That's 1.2 million dollars of LEGAL marijuana being sold every week in Toronto.

Any citizen, without a drug conviction over the last ten years, can be a designated grower for up to 1.5 persons with a permit. Compassion clubs can hook potential growers with license holders - all 100 percent legal.

Compassion clubs currently pay $2000 per pound. In case your wondering, a small operation with 8 lights - brings 16 pounds every 60 days, or $32,000 every 60 days.

Province of BC recently released a study they had done - that showed the cost of setting up your average grow in BC cost 20k and the average income - $650,000 per year.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/marihuan ... ex-eng.php This is from your Federal Government . . .

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

It would be hysterically funny to submit your resume to a major airline, which mentions in passing that in your spare time you grow marijuana. Sort of a "Cheech and Chong" fly Boeings moment.

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bizjets101 »

I don't smoke weed, however I'd take it over cigarettes any day.

It would be an interesting law suit if they turned you down for something that is
totally legit and 100 percent legal.

Best part is if you get robbed, your to call the police - and with the police report
Health Canada will allow you to replenish your weed.

Yes, officer I do have a license!!

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/marihuan ... te-eng.php

Return to “General Comments”