Questions for YYZ Tower?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

cossack
Rank 4
Rank 4

Questions for YYZ Tower?

Post by cossack »

Over in the ATS questions forum I've started a thread for questions about YYZ Tower. So rather than hijack other threads ask all your YYZ Tower specific questions there.

Cheers

DC
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Questions for YYZ Tower?

Post by Bede »

OK, I'll start. I've been flying regularily out of YYZ for the past 5 years. When I started, YYZ was a gong show, but considering the traffic flow, it runs pretty darn good now. (Kudo's to ATC when the Wx is bad). When I started going into YYC 5 years ago, it ran pretty good; now it is the worst airport in the system. Yes I know, the runways are intersecting, corporate traffic, yada, yada, yada. However, there are airports with less space, more traffic, moving traffic a lot more efficiently. Something has to be done about YYC spacing between landers and departing traffic. Is it really necessary for a plane to hold short when a lander is 5 final? Flow when it's CAVOK? I better stop.

Sorry to hijack.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

The YYZ ATC guys probably followed their spouses to YYC 4 years ago.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

"Rog" was really working it good today in YYZ. My beef is the useless ground control. We had to deice and left T1 gate 135 I think and had to taxi all the way down to where the old 'East Beach' was by taxiway DT then go all the way back to the deice pad. Took 18 mins to get off the frigging apron. You're usually airborne in Atlanta before that and they move way more aircraft than Toronto. So no beefs with the ATC but the ground has gotta get their #%#* together and don't ever switch frequencies on your own, (like most other airports do) because they will freak out on you!

Let’s Go Brandon
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Everyone here in the Toronto TCA knows the "Guy who says Rog"! He's a legend. Like . Norris.
Even landing traffic holds short when Rog says so. :)

cossack
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cossack »

Bede wrote:OK, I'll start. I've been flying regularily out of YYZ for the past 5 years. When I started, YYZ was a gong show, but considering the traffic flow, it runs pretty darn good now. (Kudo's to ATC when the Wx is bad). When I started going into YYC 5 years ago, it ran pretty good; now it is the worst airport in the system. Yes I know, the runways are intersecting, corporate traffic, yada, yada, yada. However, there are airports with less space, more traffic, moving traffic a lot more efficiently. Something has to be done about YYC spacing between landers and departing traffic. Is it really necessary for a plane to hold short when a lander is 5 final? Flow when it's CAVOK? I better stop.

Sorry to hijack.
The thread for questions is over in ATS. This thread was just to point you there. Pilots! Can't follow instructions. :roll: :wink: :lol:

cossack
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re:

Post by cossack »

Beefitarian wrote:The YYZ ATC guys probably followed their spouses to YYC 4 years ago.
Just for the record, no YYZ Tower types have gone to YYC. :wink:

cossack
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cossack »

Inverted2 wrote:"Rog" was really working it good today in YYZ. My beef is the useless ground control. We had to deice and left T1 gate 135 I think and had to taxi all the way down to where the old 'East Beach' was by taxiway DT then go all the way back to the deice pad. Took 18 mins to get off the frigging apron. You're usually airborne in Atlanta before that and they move way more aircraft than Toronto. So no beefs with the ATC but the ground has gotta get their #%#* together and don't ever switch frequencies on your own, (like most other airports do) because they will freak out on you!
"Rog" doesn't work tower and if he did, he would have to do it the way the rest of us do.

You taxied that way because that's the flow to deicing when on the 15s. Can you think of a better way to get there that doesn't involve crossing 15L?

You have "no beefs with ATC" but criticize "ground" which is ATC. :? Do much deicing and/or snow removal in Atlanta?

Why should you be allowed to switch frequencies on your own? There are places where its allowed at YYZ (at the ends of 05, 06L and 23. There's a sign telling you to change and what the frequency is. We still give the change by voice because the majority of pilots don't read the sign and tower ends up looking for them. Anywhere else on the airport, do not ever change frequencies on your own. The guy you go to, will have no electronic flight data on you and will not move you. Especially do not change after landing on 06R/24L until across the inner and told to change.

Thanks

DC

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

cossack wrote:
Beefitarian wrote:The YYZ ATC guys probably followed their spouses to YYC 4 years ago.
It was just a theory on Bede's role reversal complaint.

I'd be upset that I'm not allowed to fly into YYC with a 172 for $20 anymore but I don't fly enough to make it an issue.

cossack
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re:

Post by cossack »

Beefitarian wrote:
cossack wrote:
It was just a theory on Bede's role reversal complaint.

I'd be upset that I'm not allowed to fly into YYC with a 172 for $20 anymore but I don't fly enough to make it an issue.
No worries. I bet you couldn't fly into YYZ for $20 either. :lol:

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Can you fly them into YYZ?

I read here there was a 12 000 lb lower limit at YYC.

PunkStarStudios
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PunkStarStudios »

I think the last landing fee bill I saw was for $86.... but I'm positive I've seen their rates posted in a PDF on the GTAA website somewhre.

gustind
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by gustind »

I called to get a slot from the GTAA once just for pretend. Any aircraft below whatever weight gets the same fee. I think the landing fee is around $120 for a C172.

Daniel Gustin
I WAS Birddog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by I WAS Birddog »

cossack wrote: There's a sign telling you to change and what the frequency is. We still give the change by voice because the majority of pilots don't read the sign and tower ends up looking for them.
HEY!!!! FYI...not ALL pilots don't read the signs...I'm usually head down texting while taxiing :P

(of course....I jest) :roll:

Last edited by I WAS Birddog on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Before you plot your revenge on someone, make sure to dig two graveyard plots.
http://twitter.com/@iwasbirddog
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

cossack wrote:
Inverted2 wrote:"Rog" was really working it good today in YYZ. My beef is the useless ground control. We had to deice and left T1 gate 135 I think and had to taxi all the way down to where the old 'East Beach' was by taxiway DT then go all the way back to the deice pad. Took 18 mins to get off the frigging apron. You're usually airborne in Atlanta before that and they move way more aircraft than Toronto. So no beefs with the ATC but the ground has gotta get their #%#* together and don't ever switch frequencies on your own, (like most other airports do) because they will freak out on you!
"Rog" doesn't work tower and if he did, he would have to do it the way the rest of us do. I didn't say Rog worked tower. Re-read, and find where I said he worked tower. He was workign arrivals when I came in this am and departures after lunch

You taxied that way because that's the flow to deicing when on the 15s. Can you think of a better way to get there that doesn't involve crossing 15L? Yes. It is called not taxiing 5000' one way and then going backwards on a parallel taxiway when there was no traffic to warrant it. Could have turned for taxiway D at DQ

You have "no beefs with ATC" but criticize "ground" which is ATC. :? Do much deicing and/or snow removal in Atlanta?

Why should you be allowed to switch frequencies on your own? There are places where its allowed at YYZ (at the ends of 05, 06L and 23. There's a sign telling you to change and what the frequency is. We still give the change by voice because the majority of pilots don't read the sign and tower ends up looking for them. Anywhere else on the airport, do not ever change frequencies on your own. The guy you go to, will have no electronic flight data on you and will not move you. Especially do not change after landing on 06R/24L until across the inner and told to change. You guys just won't let the frequency change thing go after all these years. Do you get paid by the word? It seems to work fine everywhere else:lol:

Thanks

DC

Let’s Go Brandon
joe to go
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by joe to go »

There have been a few times that I followed the instructions on the signs to "contact tower". I did so and the tower guy told me to go back to ground, so I did, only to have him tell me to contact tower. Go figure!

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Cossack,

I was trying to compliment YYZ ATC and rant about YYC in the same post.

cossack
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cossack »

Inverted2 wrote:
cossack wrote:
"Rog" doesn't work tower and if he did, he would have to do it the way the rest of us do. I didn't say Rog worked tower. Re-read, and find where I said he worked tower. He was workign arrivals when I came in this am and departures after lunch

You taxied that way because that's the flow to deicing when on the 15s. Can you think of a better way to get there that doesn't involve crossing 15L? Yes. It is called not taxiing 5000' one way and then going backwards on a parallel taxiway when there was no traffic to warrant it. Could have turned for taxiway D at DQ

Why should you be allowed to switch frequencies on your own? There are places where its allowed at YYZ (at the ends of 05, 06L and 23. There's a sign telling you to change and what the frequency is. We still give the change by voice because the majority of pilots don't read the sign and tower ends up looking for them. Anywhere else on the airport, do not ever change frequencies on your own. The guy you go to, will have no electronic flight data on you and will not move you. Especially do not change after landing on 06R/24L until across the inner and told to change. You guys just won't let the frequency change thing go after all these years. Do you get paid by the word? It seems to work fine everywhere else:lol:

Thanks

DC
Inverted2
I know you know Rog doesn't work Tower. Note I sad "if" he worked tower. How do you know he was doing a great job? Just because you think he sounds cool? Give me a break. :roll: He's not Nick Falzone you know. :wink:

You taxied through the ramp to DT because that is the way you go. If there was no line on C beyond DQ, Apron could have sent you out there. If the line goes beyond DQ, then you go to DT. If you don't get out DQ then the line up backs up through the ramp which is not supposed to happen.

joe to go
That shouldn't happen, but ground probably meant to give you the voice transfer, didn't, you call tower at the sign, he doesn't have the data...etc. Ground and tower sit next to each other, so its not hard to lean over and ask for the FDE (electronic strip).

Bede
The compliment was noted. Don't be so hard on YYC eh? :wink:

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

gustind wrote:I called to get a slot from the GTAA once just for pretend. Any aircraft below whatever weight gets the same fee. I think the landing fee is around $120 for a C172.
That's crazy talk. I want a back rub and fancy meal thrown in for that much.

gustind
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re:

Post by gustind »

Beefitarian wrote:
gustind wrote:I called to get a slot from the GTAA once just for pretend. Any aircraft below whatever weight gets the same fee. I think the landing fee is around $120 for a C172.
That's crazy talk. I want a back rub and fancy meal thrown in for that much.
Interestingly enough I called in August of 09 I think. She didn't just say oh its $120, she explained that there is a $17 Central De-ice Facility fee, landing fee, ramp fee etc,.

Daniel Gustin

Return to “General Comments”