CYTZ to CNC3 route?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

CYTZ to CNC3 route?

Post by Broken Slinky »

What route does ATC usually vector you to stay clear of CYYZ traffic when travelling from CYTZ to CNC3? Do they usually send you around to the East or West? Straight over top would be fun. Do they tend to use any of the waypoints around the area? Figured I'd ask before I get up to CYTZ and I get the uncomfortable pauses and mental images of an ATC'r face palming. :)
---------- ADS -----------

AOW
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: CYTZ to CNC3 route?

Post by AOW »

It has been a few years since I've done it, but ATC used to send us out along the shorline to Trafalgar Rd, then north on Trafalgar until about Gerogetown. I have also done the trip to the north, keeping clear of the TCA by passing overhead YZD, then over 400/7. From there pick up Rutherford Rd (south of Wonderland), and it points you almost straight at NC3. You've gotta be at less than 1700 ASL the whole time, in order to be clear of the class C, which is not the most ideal altitude over a built up area in a single-engine piston; so I much preferred calling up terminal and getting a few hundred more feet, as well as a few different forced landing areas. Considering urban sprawl, the options are likely much fewer now than they were 10+ years ago when I did this semi-regularly!

Good luck and enjoy the trip! Don't be afraid of talking to centre! A lot of GA pilots seem to want to avoid speaking to a busy controller, because they are afraid they won't say the right thing! Use your head, follow the procedures, but remember that professional pilots screw up clearances and miss calls all the time! Learn from your mistakes, but don't be afraid to make them in the first place.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

For a VFR flight you pick the route: YTZ tower will ask if you want to go north/east to start with, or along the shoreline. Choose whatever you want.

Along the shoreline you'll typically be told to maintain 2000' and contact Terminal, then Satellites West will provide a radar service until somewhere west of Ford then you may be told to go direct; or maybe given a heading in between.

If you want to go east of Pearson, YTZ tower will ask if you want to go via Downsview (not higher than 1700) or via Buttonville (typically no higher than 2000). If going via Buttonville you'll get handed off to Buttonville Tower who will ask you to report leaving their control zone to the west and you can finish the flight at either 1700 or 2000, depending on where you are.

Other than a short stretch west of YTZ along the shoreline at 2000, in neither case will you typically spend any time in the TCA class C airspace. As much as you request and accept instructions from toronto Terminal those instructions will in any case keep you below the TCA.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Depending what runways are active and how much traffic there is, you can ask for a YYZ flyover. I've done it late at night a few times.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

Thanks Gents! Definitely not afraid to talk to Centre and really don't want to traverse Toronto at 1700'. I'll probably request a venture a bit further east or west so I can get higher and have a few more seconds to panic in the event of...

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Don't expect much higher than 2000 feet. I think 2500 is the best I've managed in the TCA.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
Chris M
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Chris M »

Flying between YZD and YTZ in a single sucks. If you have an engine failure anywhere on that leg it's basically aim at the nearest park and hit a tree, otherwise it'll be a house, building, or people. One you're north of Downsview things are better - some green space along the 407, the Maple rail yards (you'll wreck the plane but hopefully not hurt anyone), Wonderland parking lot or the construction zone north of it, and then lots of fields.

Return to “General Comments”