google satilite images

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: lilfssister, North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, I WAS Birddog

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

google satilite images

Post by ScudRunner »

Cool Map link, google maps you can zoom in on almost anywhere

Try Vancouver check out the Indy Car track set up by BC place and YVR

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=jfk&ll=40 ... &t=k&hl=en
---------- ADS -----------

TTail
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TTail »

Very neat. Click the main Google Maps logo to go back to the main page and click the satellite button near the top right.

MDA
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MDA »

That's way to freaky, I found my car in the parking lot!

Now I just have to ask my buddy who's car was that was in his driveway while he was at work :twisted:

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Thats preety sweet!!!
I zoomed in on on Point Pleasent Park in Halifax, and followed the Bedford highway to Sackville, then to middle Sackville, to my old house on Sprinfield Lake.
...making me miss Halifax!!!

Thanks . for giving me the ability to check out some of my old stompin grounds.

Cheers.

Last edited by KAG on Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.

TTail
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TTail »

Fun isn't it!

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

it is actually. Im presently looking at my dads place then ill be tracking down my house in YYC.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.

Lowjack
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lowjack »

I was looking at Calgary on this, and they've got most of the city in good resolution, but the northwest appears to have only older farther out images.

But I think the pictures were taken back when Calgary hosted the G8. If you look at the airport you can see the Japanese 747's, one at the still under construction terminal, and the other parked over by the purolator building.

Corporate Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Corporate Pilot »

I found this one last week while looking for a Chicago area address.

The image captured a JET IN FLIGHT! It's probably impossible to determine the altitude of the Jet.

It's probably taking off from MDW (Midway) which is about 6m NE from this position; zoom out, you'll see it. As I reflect on the layout of MDW, it certainly seems like an efficient in-city airport.

SkyKing
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SkyKing »

Google just aquired KeyHole, that is where they have aquired the technology from.

Keyhole has a free 7-day trial of there commercial product, it is worth downloading. Very Neat.

http://www.keyhole.com

SkyKing

TTail
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TTail »

Corporate Pilot wrote:I found this one last week while looking for a Chicago area address.

The image captured a JET IN FLIGHT! It's probably impossible to determine the altitude of the Jet.

It's probably taking off from MDW (Midway) which is about 6m NE from this position; zoom out, you'll see it. As I reflect on the layout of MDW, it certainly seems like an efficient in-city airport.
Now that's neat. Yes MDW is quite a busy airport with plenty of Southwest aircraft filling the tarmac.

Maverick
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Maverick »

Here's a neat little program to view pretty much all of the US aerial photography....
http://jdmcox.com/
Lots of Positioning and GIS utlilities are here...if you have a hand held GPS, you can do alot of neat things with it...esp 3d Maps...
http://www.digitalgrove.net/3DMaps.htm
Lots of free spaitial info data avail from Geodetic Survey of Canada..
http://www.geod.nrcan.gc.ca/index_e/index_e.html

Just to give you an idea of what you can make....this is a route around the outskirts of Calgary...more specifically...
UofC - Kan Loop
24th Ave NW
Crowchild Tr S
Glenmore Tr
Macleod Tr S
all the way to....22X to Deerfoot Tr N
Country Hills Blvd.
Nose Hill Dr.
Crowchild Tr S
32nd Ave N
UofC - Kan Loop

Yea..I'm a big geek. :?

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

corporate pilot
Is it just me or does it look like that 727 is just parked in the guys backyard :lol:

Try'd to find some of the big burn patches from last summers fires in the yukon but there not that up to date.

Anyone been able to find Area 51 didnt have anyluck. :toimonster:

grimey
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by grimey »

Corporate Pilot wrote: It's probably impossible to determine the altitude of the Jet.
You could do it fairly easily if you can find the shadow. I couldn't, though.

no sig because apparently quoting people in context is offensive to them.

Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 152 »

. wrote:Anyone been able to find Area 51 didnt have anyluck. :toimonster:
Here it is:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=groom+lak ... &t=k&hl=en

Hmm, I wonder why they don't have the hi-res imagery.
I found it here: http://www.shreddies.org/gmaps/index.php
There are some cool locations on that site.

Here's Edwards AFB with the huge compass rose in the dry lake bed. You can also see two SR-71 Blackbirds that are on one of the aprons (look roughly WSW of the compass rose).

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=CA+93524& ... &t=k&hl=en

Well, better go before they come looking, hehe j/k. :axe:

Wadd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wadd »

grimey wrote:
Corporate Pilot wrote: It's probably impossible to determine the altitude of the Jet.
You could do it fairly easily if you can find the shadow. I couldn't, though.

you're on crack. fairly easy? not only would you need to find the shadow, you'd then need to know exactly where the sun was when the picture was taken in relation to the earth... ie time of day, day of the year then yes, i suppose if you were able to easily find that out, and easily find out the exact latitude and longitude of that plane (which yes, would be a little easier then finding the position of the sun) then yes, i suppose you could get a pretty good estimate of the altitude. oh, and just to make it a little bit easier for you... the picture probably wasn't taken from directly over the aircraft (perpendicular to that location) so you'd then have to take that into account as well.

Punch it Chewy!

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

you're on crack. fairly easy? not only ....
Okay, so I couldn't do it in flight, while listening to my MP3 player, having lunch and kabbitzing with the pax in back, but, me and my astro compass, we're pretty good!! :wink:

Beaver Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Beaver Driver »

I'm not saying I would know how to do it, but I do watch allot of CSI.

If you took the length of the shodow cast by something of known hieght, and then somehow managed to find the shadow of the jet, then compared the two you would get the jets altitude.

Another way would be to compare the size of a known object to the size of the jet then you could figure out how much closer the jet is to the camera than the other object. The differenct of the two would be altitude.

But the easiest way would be to find out the date and time that the photo was taken (someone must know), then get the radar records from the FAA and see what the transponder was saying at the time.

Now all that having been said, I don't really care how high the jet is, but that is one cool site!!!!!!!

Flying a twin only doubles your chance of having an engine failure

Wadd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wadd »

Beaver Driver wrote: Now all that having been said, I don't really care how high the jet is, but that is one cool site!!!!!!!
i'll second that

Punch it Chewy!

Corporate Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Corporate Pilot »

Beaver Driver wrote:Another way would be to compare the size of a known object to the size of the jet then you could figure out how much closer the jet is to the camera than the other object. The differenct of the two would be altitude.
That wouldn't work either unless you knew the characteristics of the optics of the camera. I'm sure you've seen a telephoto lens used at a baseball game, shot from behind the pitcher. And of course you've noticed that the batter, catcher and umpire are all taller and wider than the pitcher, who is closer to the camera.

I'd go with the shadow approach, assuming you could actually find it!! ;)

The shadows on the trees below and the plane itself show that it is relatively early in the morning ... the sun is coming from ESE and a fairly low angle. The shadows of the trees seem to be much longer than the tree would be high.

BUT ... I bet the area where you would find the aircraft shadow would be some large distance away and probably in a location covered by a different photo sequence altogether.

Maverick
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Maverick »

You'd also need to know information about the physical orientation if the camera. In this case, the image was probably taken from the ikronos or quickbird satellite which have a spatial resolution of about 1 metre....http://www.spaceimaging.com/products/ikonos/..in which case the image was probably taken with something other than an optical camera.

If there were two pictures of the aircraft, and you knew some other outside characteristics, you could calculate the elevation and the horziontal position of the satellite. Although, its quite an involved process, and there are many, many variables to consider. Read more about it...here http://www.geomatics.ucalgary.ca/%7Ehab ... rials.html

Leerboy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Leerboy »

Boneyard outside of Davis Monthan AFB.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Tucson&ll ... &t=k&hl=en

eep...2 Green
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by eep...2 Green »

thats frikin amazing

DA900
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by DA900 »

Leerboy any guess on how many planes are parked out there?

Rectum, damn near killed 'em

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

Uh oh.

Here comes the RAW POWER of hazatude's house... :roll:

(I can't wait. :D )

-istp

Northern Skies
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Northern Skies »

This is incredible! I have been finding all of the planes and strips I flew to last summer. Even found the old float base, and both aircraft are at the dock!

Cheers!

Return to “General Comments”