Duty Time

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Idriveplane
Rank 6
Rank 6

Duty Time

Post by Idriveplane »

In an Air taxi operation. Say you hypothetically flew 121 hrs in 30 days with 3 days off in between. is that legal? Trying to read the cars but thats like working out a rubix cube
---------- ADS -----------

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Duty Time

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Assuming you don't have the ops spec that allows the increase in flight duty times which gives you 150 hours in 30 days, you can only fly 120 hours in your 30 days. The only other way around it would be to have 5 consecutive days off in the middle, which can then be used to reset your 30, 42 and 90 day totals, but that can only be done I think 3 times per year.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
185_guy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by 185_guy »

Check your COM, chapter 3 maybe, where the air operator certificate is. There will probably be a few pages there of ops specs. # 92, 93, 94 deal with extending flight times, duty times and the increases in time free from duty. If you have them, you are fine.

Besides, anything is legal till you get caught, right?!!!!!!!

DH Driver
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DH Driver »

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

700.15 (1) Subject to subsection (2), no air operator shall assign a flight crew member for flight time, and no flight crew member shall accept such an assignment, if the flight crew member's total flight time in all flights conducted by the flight crew member will, as a result, exceed

(a) 1,200 hours in any 365 consecutive days;

(b) 300 hours in any 90 consecutive days;

(c) 120 hours in any 30 consecutive days or, in the case of a flight crew member on call, 100 hours in any 30 consecutive days;

(d) where the flight is conducted under Subpart 4 or 5 using an aircraft other than a helicopter, 40 hours in any 7 consecutive days;

(e) where the flight is conducted under Subpart 2 or 3, or is conducted using a helicopter, 60 hours in any 7 consecutive days; or

(f) where the flight crew member conducts single-pilot IFR flights, 8 hours in any 24 consecutive hours.

(2) An air operator may assign a flight crew member for flight time, and a flight crew member may accept such an assignment, where the flight crew member's flight time will, as a result, exceed the flight time referred to in subsection (1) if

(a) the increase in flight time is authorized in the air operator's air operator certificate; and

(b) the air operator and the flight crew member comply with the Commercial Air Service Standards.
CAR 700.15 is your basic flight duty times. 700.15 (2) is for increases...(a) says you must have the ops spec, (b) links you to the standard that you posted which shows the increased limits, for example 150 hours in 30 days.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
cmadude
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cmadude »

One other item that a lot of new pilots forget is that for example:

120 hours in 30 days doesn't mean 30 calendar days like from April 1st to April 30th. Means 30 days from March 9th to April 8th, then March 10 to April 9 and so on.

Need a program or make an excel program to keep track.

In this case, from April 1st to April 30, you could have 95 hours, but from the March 9 to April 8 could be 150 and so on.

Seen that happen in the early days of the company I worked with after I developed a program to track and 95 per cent of the pilots over did the hours monthly as well as the 90 day requirement.

A very good program on the market is from fltduty.ca and is Transport approved.

Return to “General Comments”