PT6-28 Question

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Go Juice
Rank 4
Rank 4

PT6-28 Question

Post by Go Juice »

Hey there.

Quick question about PT6-28 engine startup. Some seems to put the prop lever FULL FWD as mentionned in the POH and some other ppl like to start them on feather. On a Be10, why would ppl start them at feather against what the poh says? any advantages, oil temps, pressure ect .?

peace!
---------- ADS -----------

A device is yet to be invented that will measure my indifference to this remark.
Brantford Beech Boy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: PT6-28 Question

Post by Brantford Beech Boy »

nope. should always follow the AFM.

BBB

"Almost anywhere, almost anytime...worldwide(ish)"
tca
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tca »

Prop lever position should have no effect on start parameters. The props won't start unfeathering until there is oil pressure, which won't be high enough until after the engine is self sustaining. On early serial numbers, where the oil pressure gauge is AC powered, the props unfeathering is the best way to determine that you have oil pressure without turning the inverter on.

At my company, we usually start with the props in the max RPM/fine pitch setting, and only start in feather if we are doing a gpu start, which makes life easier for the ground crew who has to unplug the gpu!

402_pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 402_pilot »

At my company we do this because some of our A100s have DC oil press gauges, while others are AC. Since we dont have our inverters on during engine startup, on the AC oil gauges, we start full-fine and as the prop comes out of feather, we put it back to feather. This confirms positive oil pressure. On the DC gauges we leave it feathered for start.

Alex

Go Juice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Go Juice »

So why is it that companies create SOP's that don't respect what is in the POH?

The oil pressure check with the prop unfeathering is a good point but why not start it in full fwd regardless of the type of oil pressure gage you got?

As for the GPU start, why not start it Full FWD like the POH states and then put it in feather after it's started?

I have no experience on turbine, just trying to learn a few things..

thanks

A device is yet to be invented that will measure my indifference to this remark.
402_pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 402_pilot »

In our operation we do many gravel strips so our SOP says to keep it feathered as long as possible to avoid picking up gravel and damaging the props.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

That is a Borek-ism.

The reason is that when you start the engines in full fine, the FCU is at the idle stop, but at feather, the FCU is at the min flow stop. At a small company the difference is negligible, but when you have hundreds of engines doing thousands of starts a year the fuel savings is measurable... at least that's the Penekitt-ism as it was told to me. :wink:

Could be a lower prop damage thing as well having to do with gravel and standing water. If you start in fine sometimes you have to be real quick going into ground fine to keep from picking up stuff off the ground. In Fx, no problem until you are ready to start moving.

But then someone will say that can cook the side cockpit windows by directing hot exhaust at them... there's arguments both ways, the right one is the one that keeps the peace...

torquey401
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by torquey401 »

when you start the engines in full fine, the FCU is at the idle stop, but at feather, the FCU is at the min flow stop
HUH? :shock: Please explain that one!

Les Habitants
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Les Habitants »

Go Juice wrote:So why is it that companies create SOP's that don't respect what is in the POH?

The oil pressure check with the prop unfeathering is a good point but why not start it in full fwd regardless of the type of oil pressure gage you got?

As for the GPU start, why not start it Full FWD like the POH states and then put it in feather after it's started?

I have no experience on turbine, just trying to learn a few things..

thanks
Because some companies operate airplanes outside of how the designer intended for them to be used. I can promise you Ed Swearingen did not think his Metros would be used on gravel strips when he designed the Metro 2 (landing lights out of the belly behind the nose gear...to name one thing), yet companies like Carson Air, SkyCare, and Perimeter fly them into gravel strips every day.

When an SOP has been developed against manufacturers recommendations, ask your CP. Mention the reference in the POH, and see what his response is. If he says the SOP was made whilst unaware of POH recommendations, than do what the POH says (and have a second thought about who you are working for). If he says he's aware of the SOP but this is what the company does, it's probably because through their experience, they have found the advantages of doing one thing one way (like starting in full feather) outweigh the advantages of doing what the POH says. This is something that would have been throughly thought through, whilst in consultation with maintenance/the manufacturer.

I am NOT suggesting we disregard the POH, but SOPS ARE there for a reason.

SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by SAR_YQQ »

We used to start our fleet of BE90's in feather for quite some time - less chance of the aircraft running away from the student if he didn't set the brakes - also less prop blast for the very busy ramp here.
We changed our SOPs to reflect the POH after it was pointed out to us by a mechanic that we were ruining our engine nacelles by starting in feather. All the hot gases would be trapped within the cowling near the exhaust stacks causing expansion within to occur - effectively popping rivets and damaging the fit. Once we changed back to following the POH, we noticed less wear and tear on the engine cowlings.

Meatloaf
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Meatloaf »

Co-Joe, The prop lever is not connected in any way, shape or form to the FCU. Being in high rpm or feather has zero effect on the N1.

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by longjon »

co jo, just what I was going to say, regarding the prop lever vs power lever comment -- next time the maintenance guys have the cowls off go watch the power lever stops and have someone move the prop lever, what do yo usee

sure hope the rest of the Borek pilots are a bit more PT6 savey than the guy who wrote that

StudentPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by StudentPilot »

Going off topic a little since I don't fly a Beech or behind a -28...

I seem to recall the Twin Otter (-27 engines) says to start in feather (correct me if I'm wrong). From this thread and what I've heard previously, Beech's say to start in full forward. I think Caravans say to start full forward. My plane says start feathered above 10°C or full forward if below 10°C (another -27).

Are the differences in starting procedures WRT prop position due to nacelle/cowling design, engine location, a minor difference between models, or something else? I've asked several people before and never gotten a good answer...mostly do what the POH says. I'm curious why the POH's say what they do, and why it seems to vary amongst small PT6s.

ODA
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ODA »

Apparently quite a few people need a PT6 lesson. I’ll let co-joe explain the difference between idle and min flow.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

from my recollection the min flow valve is bypassing the fcu, and come into play when there is a break in the p3 line releasing pressure on the pneumatic bellows.

afa the prop below -10 start in fx so you don't blow the prop seals, u can even have somebody hold the prop

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

Les Habitants wrote:
Because some companies operate airplanes outside of how the designer intended for them to be used. I can promise you Ed Swearingen did not think his Metros would be used on gravel strips when he designed the Metro 2 (landing lights out of the belly behind the nose gear...to name one thing), yet companies like Carson Air, SkyCare, and Perimeter fly them into gravel strips every day.

so where does Carson Air fly Metros into gravel strips everyday? :smt017

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Starting your pt6 over gravel you want to start in fine. Assuming you swept under the props you will kick up a lot less crap then starting the engines feathered. After the engine is stable place the power lever over the gate and into beta to really fine tune the blade angle to further reduce wear and tear on the props. This is all for naught if you don't sweep well the area behind and ahead of your props.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Hammer »

AFM/POH's for these type of aircraft are generally +30-40 years old (when 2 crew was the captain + an F/A at the hotel) with the only changes being made when the FAA waves a very big stick (rare).

You have to use your judgement in many areas ie Electrical smoke/fire- nearly every AFM of this vintage states -once you have extinguished the smoke/fire, attempt to isolate which system caused the smoke/fire, often by pulling all the the cb's and pushing them in one at a time to isolate the circuit.

The knowledge gained from Air Canada in cinncinati, Swiss Air in Peggy's cove, and likely UPS in Dubai have/will pretty much shown that in my opinion unless I am going to die without it, I am not trouble shooting the problem circuit in nearly any circumstance. ie I can pump down gear and land flapless and use a vacuum instrument or peanut gyro, fly nordo, if I have to OR pick the bare minimum systems to get me on the ground. If I am in VMC conditions I will not be entering IMC unless absolutely necessary and I will be landing "AS SOON AS POSSIBLE not "AS SOON AS PRACTICAL"

meflypretty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by meflypretty »

torquey401 wrote:
when you start the engines in full fine, the FCU is at the idle stop, but at feather, the FCU is at the min flow stop
HUH? :shock: Please explain that one!
Stick to your guns co-joe. I think I'm with you. It's been awhile since I've looked at it, but I remember something about Py air being dumped at the Nf governor when sitting in feather, which would put you at the min flow stop.

even paranoids have real enemies
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

no the only connection from the PCU is via an fuel topping governor dumping P3 affecting the pneumatic bellows. The FTG cuts in at 106% of selected prop rpm.

Last edited by rigpiggy on Tue May 24, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Comments”