US Renter's Insurance

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

GIMD
Rank 1
Rank 1

US Renter's Insurance

Post by GIMD »

I have a TC and FAA private license and live in Canada. I want to rent an airplane in the US and need to buy renter's/non-owned insurance. So far, COPA had told me that their insurance is only good for canadian-registered planes and the US companies (AVEMCO, AOPA) have said that I must live in the US to qualify for their insurance policies.

Anybody have and advice/suggestions?

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

And you would need "renters' insurance" to what? Cover the deductable? Because that's pretty much all it'll do. I'd check with the renter himself. You can probably get on their policy. Nothing an insurance company likes more than money for nothing...sound like a song.....and are you a member of AOPA? I've talked to them and they told me they'd insure any member....as long as the pilot has the qualifications. They'd be worth another call. But like all insurance.....to collect...ya gotta have had a bad day....and MOST renters don't carry coverage.

GIMD
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GIMD »

In the US, many of FBO's have insurance for themselves only - it does not cover the renter. Thus, if you get in an accident, the FBO could sue you for damage to the plane. Also, anybody on the ground who was injured or had property damage could sue the FBO and the renter. Many FBOs require renters to purchase insurance for themselves.
Overall, its probably the safest thing to do to protect yourself.

Crispy3M
Rank 1
Rank 1

Insurance

Post by Crispy3M »

I know... Studid isn't it?

Try FA Peabody Insurance Company in Houlton Me. USA.

They deal with a company called AIG.

I ran into the same problem myself but was able to get insurance as I had access to a US address.

Crispy3M

Return to “General Comments”