Southwest Pilot + Stuck Mike + Pilot Rant = Suspension

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CSk3RampBOY
Rank 2
Rank 2

Southwest Pilot + Stuck Mike + Pilot Rant = Suspension

Post by CSk3RampBOY »

---------- ADS -----------

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Southwest Pilot + Stuck Mike + Pilot Rant = Suspension

Post by Rockie »

Pretty funny. But there isn't a single pilot out there who hasn't said something in the assumed privacy of a flightdeck that would get him suspended if the mike was hot.

System Message
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by System Message »

I am not an airline pilot, but does a stuck mike usually result in a suspension, and if so is the whole crew affected?

If we can put oil in the engine while we're flying then we have absolutely no problem at all.
Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

It's an offense to swear on the air, but I'm thinking the airline is more concerned about the damage to their reputation. I doubt that anyone on that aircraft other than the offending pilot faces discipline.

System Message
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by System Message »

I never thought about the swearing since they beeped it out. I agree Southwest will have trouble attracting passengers if the public knows what the cabin crew is like.

If we can put oil in the engine while we're flying then we have absolutely no problem at all.
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I figure with hidden cameras, whistle blowers, wikileaks, and all the rest... pretty soon you wont be able to trust anybody with anything.

Sometimes it's just best not knowing.... but this was pretty funny.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

Ha! That completely just made my day! But it's true....I'm certainly guilty of saying a few things that would get me suspended too.....

undashflyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by undashflyer »

Yeah, hmmmm, well it is one thing to bitch and moan about ones six day bag drag with a sh#@ty crew. It happens, most of us gripe about it, and then we drink.

The problem here is that he spewing some pretty hate filled stuff. If he dislikes working with certain groups of people so much, be it the "gannies and the fags" or some ground agent, maybe he should reconsider his choice to have joined an airline with flight attendants.

Now, I have a sense of humour (though I can't come up with good jokes like those great folks with WestJet-itude!) and can laugh at a lot of off-color things. This however was offensive, what if his cojo was a "fag" OR a "granny"?! What if he was working with someone that has a "fag" family member, has a "granny", or even just knows a girl "that was probably doable"? I think many would and should be offended.

Maybe I'm being sensitive because I'm a flight attendant and whilst not a "granny" or a girl that is "probably doable" I am a "fag". Within my "community" (whatev) we rarely call ourselves that and if said, it is meant to hurt - especially if said to someone who has just stolen my boyfriend.

This really isn't about being grumpy about your crappy work sked, getting a crappy crew or moaning about that grey day when you got called into work. This guy brought some hate to work with him and that just doesn't fly in the workplace. And it's not funny. No wonder nobody wanted to go to the bar with him! :roll: Those flight attendants, and likely his f/o, were all sneaking off to 'Chili's' without him: "We're meeting next door for some wings at 1930; but don't tell Captain D-Bag".

Sincerely,

A coworker that just happens to like guys (But I'm butch not flaming) :smt055

Let me just say we are done with the carry-on baggage discussion.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

You're right undashflyer, and I don't think you will find many people here defending what he was saying. What was funny was getting caught with his pants down saying it.

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

uddashflyer,

Gotta agree that if they where bashing management, complaining about crew sched calling them in or whining about having to go to Newark for the 18th time in a row, even if it was profanity laced, this would have been a slight embarrassment to the company. A little egg on the face. This rant was most certainly hateful and made that guy look like a complete ass and perhaps should be grounds for some pretty serious disciplinary action.

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
V1RotateV2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by V1RotateV2 »

Rockie wrote: What was funny was getting caught with his pants down saying it.
For different reasons, many, many times I was in descent thinking "Please, let this not be the day they need to pull the CVR".
A stuck mike is a more public way of getting humiliated, both for pilots and for ATC, but that CVR surely has a few secrets and indiscretions that, luckily, get erased every 30 minutes to 2 hours.

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

For different reasons, many, many times I was in descent thinking "Please, let this not be the day they need to pull the CVR"
I think we all think that, as we begin descent...

I have to agree with a few points he makes, notably Newark. I could be on cloud 9, but that place just sucks the motivation right out of you.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

undash I think you're right about the rest of the crew ditching him and people like that don't deserve attention, they're typically only looking to spread negative energy. Some of them want to offend and that's half of why they talk like that. Then when you're offended they feel empowered.

For me by far the best part was the controller telling him he's transmitting and he completely ignores it and keeps on complaining.
Rex Kramer: [talking to Steve McCroskey] Our only hope is to build this man up. We gotta give him all the confidence we can.
[to Striker]
Rex Kramer: Striker, have you ever flown a multi-engine plane before?
Ted Striker: No, never.
Rex Kramer: [to McCroskey, with the microphone still on] Shit! This is a God damn waste of time! There's no way he can land this plane!

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Striker wrote:(off air) It's a good thing he doesn't know how much I hate his guts!
Elaine wrote:(on air) It's a good thing you don't know how much he hates your guts!
:lol:

undashflyer, again I don't approve of what he said either, just the hilarious circumstances in which he got burned. Sounds like that guy is a real winner and probably one most F/Os couldn't stand. I am glad I fly single pilot sometimes.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Where's that pic of the sticker that says "CVR - Shut up for the last 15 minutes".

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Shadowfax
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Shadowfax »

I've heard worse..... :shock:

Why and how would this have been caught? Is this because lots of folk monitor ATC freqs now a days or do you think someone ratted them out?

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Sounds like the recording from the tower as it continues after the guy finally figures out he's the one with the hot mike.

Everything transmitted and recieved from ATC is recorded for evidence that you indeed told them you "could land and stop before the intersection" you crossed when you landed etc. How it got released to the internet is another question.

C-FABH
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re:

Post by C-FABH »

Beefitarian wrote:How it got released to the internet is another question.
Between aviation buffs, radio enthusiasts, websites such as LiveATC.net and Radioreference.com, there's plenty of opportunities for people to have caught and recorded it. Unless you're dealing with an encrypted frequency (and I'm talking Provoice, AES/DES, voice inversion, rolling code, etc) consider your conversations 100% available to public domain.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I didn't listen to the tape, but for some reason the discussion reminds me of a flight I did where Maintenance asked us to do a test on the CVR and then pull the cb so they could send it in for re cert. If you've done it it goes something like "...this is the co pilot and I am speaking into the boom microphone..." etc.

Anyway we got so pre occupied with the CVR test that we were late on the descent checks and hadn't checked the ATIS until late. The descent we'd briefed had to be thrown out the window because the wind had switched 180 degrees and the ceiling and vis went for poop. I was PF and had the front course up, but the other guy still had the back course up. We didn't realise it till procedure turn when I turned one way and he thought I should have turned the other. His calls were all off the map and confused the hell out of me and made no sense to me based on the approach I was seeing. In the end we got into a huge argument complete with swearing, some name calling, several transfers of control, and some serious embarrassment on both our parts.

On the ground we lied to maint and told them we'd been too busy to do the CVR test and did it on the next flight (after holding down the erase button for a good long while). But in the end the lesson was that even though you know the conversation is being recorded you still have no guarantees. Also would have been a great time for a go around...20/20 hind sight.

CFR
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CFR »

Sulako wrote:It's an offense to swear on the air ...
No longer true, in Canada anyway!

Return to “General Comments”