My flying blog.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: My flying blog.

Post by Beefitarian »

'97 Tercel wrote: Detached retina? Brutal! what happened?
I don't know if dropping an iPad on it was a factor but quite sometime later my eye felt funny, then there was some sparkles, then I had a grey fuzzy spot. Went to an optometrist and he acted like I had just been hit by a car.

I asked if I should cancel my flight for the next day. He said, "Yes, 100%. You shouldn't even move your head."

The next day they did surgery. I was not sure I was going to be able to do that. It's general anaesthetic. I guess I'm a different man now. After the anesthesiologist inserted the first needle into my eye which I could see, I thought, "Huh, let's do this."
---------- ADS -----------

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Flying high again.

Post by Beefitarian »

I put another 1.4 dual in my log signing it as Self like I always do.

It was a really good flight. We went touring around the Turnervalley area. My left steep turns were decent my right ones much more comedic. Forced approach due to pretend loss of power was pretty good. I hate doing those partially because I pick some field farther than the instructor and then they think I changed my mind and flew past the one they think I picked.

Appears I'm a ham fisted bugger that needs to stop treating 172s like a high performance dirt bike. Who knew? Anyone who did never communicated it very well back in the 20th century.

I need to talk on the radio a bit more effectively but that will come with practice.

Take off was good. Landing was terrible. He asked for a touch down at the thousand foot marks. Excellent idea except, I'm a bit rusty so after I missed I proceeded to balloon and then landed pretty hard.

Sucks and I am disappointed in myself but I was able to move on in life, lesson learned we hope.
trey kule wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:15 pm Are you rescheduled?
Yes I am.

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

I need to talk on the radio a bit more effectively but that will come with practice.
Worry less about this. ;)

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I'm not worried but I also can't just tour around missing calls in Class C. They don't like that. And fair enough it's pretty high density there these days.

Inbound for landing I read back an altitude restriction wrong. She said, "Not below 5500., I said, "Not below 5000."
It was ok because we all noticed and it was corrected right away but I like being more precise and that could quickly become a really big problem. When someone is supposed to be going under me.

You have a good point. I do need to stay calm and I am, but the reason I wrote, "more effectively." is because I want to balance communicating well with less chatter or static like the ever popular, "Any conflicting traffic please advise." Which I think roughly translates to, "Oh man, I'm frightened by the thought that there are too many planes out here. Where are they? Someone confort me, I need a hug."

Last week I was flying with my buddy from an uncontrolled airport and had what I have finally come to agree can be a luxury, we stayed on one frequency the whole time and there was even a plane that was Nordo.

Yesterday we contacted ground, inner tower, outer tower, Calgary terminal and then finally switched to 126.7. All that plus we needed to use the ATIS. I was following another plane working a bit to maintain my altitude and show a guy that is deciding if I will be allowed to bugger off on my own I can do it all safely.

I know it seems like I'm being a whiner, maybe a bit, but all that radio stuff and using a transponder is just normal there and in a way I am writing these as notes to help remind myself, I really need to keep flying much more often to make a few things easy again.

Back to yesterday, once we got to our fifth frequency 126.7 and there were other planes where we were doing upper air work, I gave a call out to report where we were and what we were going to be doing around where we were. I refused to say "Any conflicting traffic please advise." The best part was, we got proof you don't need to say that. Someone near us called to say they were going to be flying back to Springbank just east of our position, no conflict. So I quickly thanked and assured him we would stay west and out of his way. It was a marvel of co-operation and effective use of a radio to help situational awareness. I quite enjoyed that part.

I'm not saying that uncontrolled is always simple because we needed to be vigilant looking for planes instead of the controllers wrangling everyone.

A few pilots out there just don't seem to care about what is going on outside their plane. You might not even believe this but we were back tracking on a runway and another plane pulled on at an intersection ahead of us to back track the same runway. I'm guessing that guy might not be able to operate in Class C so that's why they fly outside of it.

Anyways, I need to call a guy about going for lunch and throwing some darts. Have a great week everyone!

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Having wrote all that, on the radio, less is better. "Outer tower, GABC, inbound for landing, at xxxx' with information X."

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Beef, as long as you don't hear the dreaded; "Is that a DUAL flight...?" your doing fine on the radio.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Yeah that sounds like they are less than satisfied with something. I think I heard someone having a conversation kind of like that a few years ago which included, "Ok good, I just wanted to make sure there was an instructor onboard."

Way back I did get called to the tower at Red Deer on my first solo cross country. I somehow ended up transmitting on the wrong frequency. The flight service guy said he just wanted to make sure it was a student making an honest mistake and not some farmer that just didn't care.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Beefitarian wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:33 am Having wrote all that, on the radio, less is better. "Outer tower, GABC, inbound for landing, at xxxx' with information X."
Pretty good 👍; but how about “XXX tower, GABC, 2500 at YYY, landing, with X RAY”

Good to see you back flying :D

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Thank you. I'm pretty pleased I can see again and even more so to finally get back to flying in a couple of planes for 2019, hopefully I can continue this time.

That one example started off kind of specific. I should have wrote "Springbank outer tower..." I replaced 6000' and information delta with X-rays to indicate variables that might be different next time.

Take care, I hope all is well with you and yours.

Return to “General Comments”