Guelph Air Show

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flyingdan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Guelph Air Show

Post by flyingdan »

Hi Folks,

Just wondering if any one had heard / knew anything about an air show in Guelph this year. I was at the Waterloo Air Show this past weekend and was told that I should check it out but I haven't been able to find anything about it online.

Any info is greatly appreciated!
---------- ADS -----------

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Guelph Air Show

Post by lownslow »

Sorry to say, but Guelph doesn't host any air shows I'm aware of.

There is, however, an informal get together in September. The third weekend, I think. If you drop in you can expect to see a bunch of vintage airplanes being shown off (lots of Tiger Moths) and a generally friendly atmosphere among the pilots and visitors. Don't expect to see anyone putting on a show in front of a crowd because that's not what it's about.

LnS.

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fleet16b »

On the third weekend in Sept, we (The Tigerboys) hold our annual open house.
It is a two day event that attracts lots of vintage aircraft owners and has been held here for years
Usually about 30-40 aircraft each day.
This is a very "grass roots" affair. No admission , no ropes around a/c. Lots of freedom to look at the aircraft get up close to see them fly etc. Food is available or just bring a blanket and hold your own lttle picnic with the kids. For the young children, there are at least 5 airplane pedal cars for them to play pilot with.
Rides in the vintage aircraft are also available at over half the price charged at most Museum ( a real bargin)
You can also tour the restoration shops and see some pretty interesting projects , artifacts etc.

...isn't he the best pilot you've ever seen?....Yeah he is ....except when I'm shaving.........
dcabrown
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dcabrown »

Just wondering if there are any special procedures for heading to Guelph this weekend. Anyone directing traffic? Or just call up NC4 traffic and communicate intentions? What time does it begin?

Thanks.

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fleet16b »

No special procedures as there is no one monitoring the Unicom freq. 123.00
Most of us all monitor and use the freq. but there are always a few that don't use or even have radios.
Just keep your head up we as give rides pretty much all day both days.
This makes for some busy air at times
Depending on the runway ., we have a set route for passenger flights that all pilots giving rides get briefed on.It is an area away from the airport so it really is not hard coming in
For the most part we use the grass on the back runway 23 - 05 for the antique traffic
Also please note there is no fuel on the field yet but a new card swipe has been ordered

Hope to see lots of people there. It is one of the last truly "grass roots " shows in south central ontario. So if you like no admission ( donation only -amount is your choice), no ropes, good burgers and spicey chilli, getting up close to and riding in antique airplanes then it is the place to be this weekend :D
We even have 5 pedal push biplanes for the little kids that want to play pilot. :smt040

...isn't he the best pilot you've ever seen?....Yeah he is ....except when I'm shaving.........
dcabrown
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dcabrown »

Thanks to the Tiger Boys and all the volunteers that put on the open house this weekend. I stopped by for a few hours and had great time! The ride in the Fleet Finch which was a blast and I'll definitely be back next year.

I was just wondering if any other the photographers (the folks on the hill or others) have websites? Or is there any way to get access/purchase professional or other high quality photos from the day?

Thanks!

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Eric Dumigan was there and it looks like he spent some time on the hill. Here's his page on the fly-in: http://airic.ca/html/2011tigerboys.html

LnS.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Fleet16b, is that the nose of your 195 in the 4th picture down in Eric's photo's?

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fleet16b »

No not my 195.
It is owned by a friend named Kurtis who flies with our group.

Return to “General Comments”