OOPS.MUNCHED ANOTHER ONE.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

OOPS.MUNCHED ANOTHER ONE.

Post by oldtimer »

Doing some training this morning and heard a TC airplane, Kingair I think, declaring an emergency. Climbing out of YXX, lost oil pressure and had to cage one. Landed YVR ok.
---------- ADS -----------

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Good to hear everybody is OK.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

oh yea it sounded like it was not that big a deal. The weather was not a factor and they did a visual. No sound of panic in the voices. Just an oil pressure problem.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

Precautionary shutdown below 60psi?

ndb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ndb »

Reminds me of the time, a couple years ago, a Transport King Air
whacked the props (a near-gear up) at a small airport near Ottawa.

Rather than immediately landing at the small airport, if I recall correctly the Transport Canada Inspectors chose to fly with the bent propellers and unknown damage over heavily-populated Ottawa and land at CYOW.

Then there was the time a Transport 182 had a prop strike at another small airport. Instead of doing the engine teardown like the rest of us would be required to do, a Transport helicopter fly in another prop that they quickly bolted on and flew off in, again over a populated area with unknown damage to the engine.

Now for a real trip down memory lane ... is anybody here old enough to remember the DOT Inspector that was sent down to Boeing to evaluate the 747? Must be 35 years ago now. Was an ex-RMC type with a funny name ... starts with a W? Anyways, this guy did millions of dollars of damage to a Quantas 747 during his "evaluation" flight for Canadian certification.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Here in the rain forest TC had a Beaver on amphibs, they finally got rid of it after they landed in the water "twice" with the gear down...........

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

Cat Driver, you will have to tell me if this is possible. Transport had a DC-3 in Edmonton a few years back. Early 80's. Taxiing out in YMM, the gear collapsed. Apparently the hydraulic accumulator was loosing pressure so they would select gear up in flight to recharge and select gear down on the ground, again to recharge the accumulator. As they taxxied into position on the runway, the gear collapsed. Somebody got it out of sequence. My buddy who was relating this story was behind in a "Ho. He said "Well - the gear works - now try the flaps". Ha Ha Ha.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

And speaking of Fort McMurray, a ragtag operator leased and eventually purchased a Kingair 100 from the company I worked for (now defunct). The Fort McMurray company was sold to an enterprising operator who was trying to put things right but TC was not cutting them any slack. Two mechanics who worked for my now defunct company were lured up with money, etc because of their pristine reputation. TC were apparently being TC when they had an incident so inspectors from the head shed in Winnipeg were up there with their Kingair 90. Our intreped mechanics went up to TC's Kingair, declared the airplane had an outstanding and visible snag, so they grounded the airplane. The pilots were ready to ferry the airplane, with passengers, to Edmonton to get it fixed when our guys quoted chapter and verse and required they bring a mechanic up and fix the airplane before they flew it. Now that takes balls. The instigator now works for TC.

KMAC
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KMAC »

Now that's a classic ...

MurtsAir
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MurtsAir »

Well speaking of TC, I was at a golf course the other day and this guy walked by with a TC jacket on, so naturaly I kept my distance. He musta been investigating unlicenced Flying projectiles at this particular course becasue he immediatly walked up to the door of the driving range and proceded to pull then push the door but allas it did not budge, then in true classic transport form stood back to properly asses and fine the malfunctioning door, when a kid walked up and slid the door open with ease for him. I just sat back and had a good laugh with my buddies. True story :D

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Oldtimer:

About the DC3 hydraulic pressure thing, its been a lot of years since I flew them but ocasionally you will get one that loses hyd. pressure...moving the flap handle will change the pressure easier than raising the gear........

As you probably know to raise the gear you first have to release the guard on the gear down latch handle and unlatch the gear spades before you can select gear up...

But it has been done.

I notice that you are not exactly in awe of some of the talent that works at TC?

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Right before I did a PPC with TC a couple of years ago in YMM, I was sitting in the Shell studying, fairly nervous. A guy introduced himself to me and after a short conversation said something to the effect of, if these guys ever try to pull the superiority B_S on you remember this:

Then he shows me some pictures of a TC twin otter that had a brake failure on the taxi. Apparently in the confusion the crew forgot they had reverse thrust and couldn't stop from rear ending another plane and chewing it's tail off with one of their engines. :D

My nerves gone completely, the PPC went quite well. :D

FA28 guy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FA28 guy »

Anybody remember the Queen Air that lost a wing the maintainence staff lied about doing the AD. How about the Twin Otter the crashed near Hamilton. I will not get into the deatial but TC lost 4 good inspectors in the 2 examples. Lets not forget that no matter how bad or good they treat us the get the same results after a crash. ( cann't bring myself to say die)

Return to “General Comments”