Does anybody know much about West Wind Aviation???

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

adster1989
Rank 1
Rank 1

Does anybody know much about West Wind Aviation???

Post by adster1989 »

Hey people. Applied to West Wind Aviation out in Saskatoon. I got called to see if i would be interested in and interview and sim eval. I'm just wondering if anyone knows much about their operation???
---------- ADS -----------

Air Monkey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Does anybody know much about West Wind Aviation???

Post by Air Monkey »

Good company from what my buddies who are employed there tell me. One of Canadas top fifty best managed companies too.

Lloyd Christmas
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Lloyd Christmas »

Like any company, they're not perfect, but they always try to improve. My time there was great, nothing bad to say, this was of course pre-union, but the people were of good character all around. I consider myself lucky to have worked for a company like them so early in my career, I definetely learned a lot about how a good operator should be while working with them. I know they weren't the highest paying company, but I had comfort knowing I was working with a great operator that the lesser pay was worth it, and since I left I know everyone has gotten some raises, so hopefully the pay issue is a little better??

Conclusion, You'd be lucky to work for them.

Lloyd

Sir, You can't go in there!
It's OK.....I'm a limo driver!
rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

Lloyd Christmas wrote:Like any company, they're not perfect, but they always try to improve. My time there was great, nothing bad to say, this was of course pre-union, but the people were of good character all around. I consider myself lucky to have worked for a company like them so early in my career, I definetely learned a lot about how a good operator should be while working with them. I know they weren't the highest paying company, but I had comfort knowing I was working with a great operator that the lesser pay was worth it, and since I left I know everyone has gotten some raises, so hopefully the pay issue is a little better??

Conclusion, You'd be lucky to work for them.

Lloyd

Are you kidding me?? Lucky to work for West Wind? Shall we go back a few years to those pilots who were dismissed for using the word union? Their jobs were reinstated for a reason. WRONGFUL DISMISSAL!

What on gods green earth would possess you to actually think anyone would be lucky to work for a company that pays its pilots peanuts? What a joke.

peeelot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by peeelot »

Do you enjoy eating mac and cheese everynight. Wal mart kind not the real stuff. But hey you will fly a lot.

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

adster1989 wrote:Hey people. Applied to West Wind Aviation out in Saskatoon. I got called to see if i would be interested in and interview and sim eval. I'm just wondering if anyone knows much about their operation???
No offense but wouldn't it have been better to research them before you applied?

JWflightcrew
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JWflightcrew »

West Wind Aviation is a Great place to work. The West Wind Team and Employees have had a great past year and are focused on a bright future, with future expansion and continuing to be an aviation leader in the Prairie Provinces. If you have questions regarding the positions you have applied for or are considering, I am sure the HR team would be able to answer them for you.

JW
cyeg66
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cyeg66 »

adster1989 wrote:Hey people. Applied to West Wind Aviation out in Saskatoon. I got called to see if i would be interested in and interview and sim eval. I'm just wondering if anyone knows much about their operation???
I think they fly small planes on a small route schedule, in and out of small towns... I think others mentioned the big pay scale... :smt040

Turn right/left heading XXX, vectors for the hell of it.
Lloyd Christmas
Rank 2
Rank 2

Rooster,

You need to relax fella, I was simply giving some first hand insight into an operation that I was once apart of, and personally know a thing or two about the operation. Unlike you, I don't spout off mindless drivel every chance I get....and yes I went back to see what kind of informative posts you have supplied this website with, and yes, my thoughts were confirmed, you provide nothing of substance for anyone to read.

We all now about the union deal that occured a while ago, and the wrongful dismissals and re-instatements, etc. I'm not here to comment on that because it has already been beaten to death and I want to stay on topic. All I can do is provide accurate information from MY experience with them, and that is what I did. You don't have to agree with it, but that also doesn't make you right. I'm guessing you've never worked for them but state all the gossip you've heard as fact? Am I right?

And to answer a few of your questions.....NO, I'm not kidding you, Yes, I was lucky to work for West Wind, try re-reading my post, I thought I made that loud and clear. Also, the pay is relative. You need to figure out that money doesn't bring happiness. I took a nice raise going to West Wind (shitty instructor pay prior), and yes, while still slightly below average, I found it acceptable because of all the other good things I thought the company brought to the table, and overall, there were many more good things to say than bad.

Now I digress, the original poster wanted to know a few thing about WW, and hopefully I helped them out a bit, that's all I was trying to do, I'm not interested in a pissing match with you.

Lloyd

jkellner1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jkellner1 »

Nicely said Mr. Christmas!

triffles
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by triffles »

Mr. Christmas did you know the Chief Pilot recently retired?
He was very respected for his wealth of knowledge and service to the industry in Saskatchewan.

He will be missed at Westwind. Although I live in Alberta, I miss him already when I pass thru YXE.

throttlejockey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by throttlejockey »

triffles wrote:
He will be missed at Westwind. Although I live in Alberta, I miss him already when I pass thru YXE.
You either don't know him that well, or don't pass through YXE often. He hasn't hung up his headset yet.

2namelt
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 2namelt »

Westwind has 3 chief pilots... perhaps you two are thinking of different people.

Lloyd Christmas
Rank 2
Rank 2

triffles wrote:Mr. Christmas did you know the Chief Pilot recently retired?
He was very respected for his wealth of knowledge and service to the industry in Saskatchewan.

Yes, I know the CP you speak of, and he's a great guy, I miss his daily jokes often:) He's been in aviation a lot of years, and has a wealth of knowledge to pass on to us younger folk.

Lloyd

jay.yxe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jay.yxe »

West Wind Aviation is a leader in our industry.
I have been with WW for 5 years. I started on the ground and now fly two aircraft in the 703/704 group. I have also flown in the 705 group.
Here is what I can tell you:
The people
-excellent people both in the office and in the flight deck. (Of course your going to always hear about the few negatives but believe me there are far more positives)
The aircraft
-well maintained with a good variety in the fleet. (401's, 402, 414, King Air's, 1900's, Jetstream's, ATR's, citation jet) We have upgraded avionics in the majority of our aircraft which allow us to meet our customer requirements in the most challenging weather.
The opportunity
- we have doubled in size since I joined WW 5 years ago and we have forecast growth ahead. WW has been around since 1983
Safety
- When it comes to safety WW supports the pilot group 100% in the decisions we make as crew.
Schedule
I personally have no comparison as WW is the only company I have flown for. It is a good balance in my opinion whether your single or have a family. From talking to other pilots in similar positions WW seems to have a relatively attractive schedule. (usually 5days on/ 2 off OR 9 days on/ 5off)
Our typical week
- we fly monday to friday up to Northern Sask to complete crew changes for the Uranium mines ( ATR, King Air, 1900).
- we fly scheduled service to Northern Sask communities 6 days a week (1900)
- we fly scheduled service to between YXE & YQR 5 days a week ( Jetstream)
- we fly charter service anywhere in North America ( mostly SK, AB) ( citation, 1900, King Air, 402)
- we have a courier contract based out of YXE & YQR ( 401's/402)
Lifestyle
- most of our pilot group is based in YXE and while the cost of living is not that different than most major cities the pace of life is easy-going
- commute to the airport is at most 20 min if you live within the city but usually less
- on call days our from 6am-6pm
- the flight crews are able to be home for the night 95% of the time

hope that helps
BTW we have 2 Chief Pilots ( 1 for 703/704 & 1 for 705)

Jay

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Very interesting, Jay, but I noticed your very thorough examination totally ignores the pay - you do get paid, right?

"Also, the pay is relative. You need to figure out that money doesn't bring happiness." Hoo boy, I'm still wiping my eyes - that's funny!

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Money doesn't buy happiness, but it does buy essential things like shelter, food, beer. Used to be that YXE had cheap cost of living going for it. Not so much anymore. I suppose you can still say 'at least it's not Regina'. :roll:

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
AM Radio
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AM Radio »

I find it hilarious when people who haven't worked here at West Wind seem to know all about our operation. If our Company is so bad then why do people who have gone to Airline jobs return here after the grass stops looking so green. If our company is so bad to work for then why did the employees who were excused, fight for their jobs back. (BTW the union had nothing to do with that.) If this was such a bad place to be don't you think that TC would pull the plug on us or at least lean on us, instead they actually ask for our help in interpreting their own rules. Jay has hit the nail on the head, we are never pushed to do anything illegal, or unsafe. We can always ask for clarification on any subject from management and get an answer. You could advance from a ramp/groomer position all the way to 705 training Captain. And yes it has happened just that way. Starting pay may not be all that spectacular but the pay scale advancement is rapid for the first 2 yrs. Remember as a new FO you don't really bring alot to the table as far as experience goes. If you have some experience then usually you would be introduced to the payscale based on your experience level. We definately aren't the highest paid but we certainly aren't the least paid. I eat KD cause I like it! We also have a benefit package as well as matched RRSP contributions, and we have a profit sharing program. I've met FO's for a US Regional carrier flying some complex machines (Jets) making less than our KingAir FO's Your definition of happiness is different from my definition of happiness, so for me money doesn't buy happiness. It may be essential to live on but i don't chase airplanes or money. Having a decent lifestyle is more important to me than having the banks steal my money. My advice to newbies is to enjoy the ride. Sometimes the ride may not lead you to where you will always be happy. You don't get into this industry for the money, if you do your headed for a big dissapointment.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

GARA? No, not really. But its hilarious and gives me much pleasure to read this stuff. Sooner or later you will all discover that there is more to life than noodling around the sky in tiny clapped out airplanes. I admit its fun for a few years but eating KD coz you like it? Good one. Malnutrition will make it harder for you to keep your medical, which as far as I can tell, most of us have a tenuous hold on anyway. The money sucks, you get to come home 'most' nights and you can afford a small apartment in a small city. But you haven't got any furniture that you will take with you because you might need to move cities again and it won't fit in your car anyway.

Did I get that part right?

Let me know when that isn't enough for you anymore, when you get tired of watching the owners go home in their new car, take their annual vacations and raise their kids in a nice school. When you can't afford a house, let alone kids, your old beater Dodge won't start and you can't afford the snow tires for it anyway.

The good thing is you like who you are working with and you feel like you've got the world by the balls. Good for you. That's enough for a while. However.

While you're drinking the "money can't buy happiness" stuff, give a thought to the contribution you are making to the demise of our industry, the devaluing of yours and all of our labour and the fact that you are selling the only product you have to sell, for much less than your skills are worth, or worse, at a loss.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
Tubthumper
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Tubthumper »

Did I get that part right?
No, XSdrivel, you didn't.
But its hilarious and gives me much pleasure to read this stuff.
Then quit complaining, find something else to do.... after all there must be something.
Let me know when that isn't enough for you anymore....
Why would you care? You couldn't do anything about it anyway.
...when you get tired of watching the owners go home in their new car, take their annual vacations and raise their kids in a nice school. When you can't afford a house, let alone kids, your old beater Dodge won't start and you can't afford the snow tires for it anyway.
I don't care what they drive home in, and I haven't seen them in a new vehicle for years anyway. I can afford to raise my kids in a great school (and yes, I pay for it right out of my pocket, not some other taxpayers' pocket). I can afford a house, and I drive better than a Dodge which does start in winter, without even plugging it in.
:rolleyes:

While you're drinking the "money can't buy happiness" stuff, give a thought to the contribution you are making to the demise of our industry, the devaluing of yours and all of our labour and the fact that you are selling the only product you have to sell, for much less than your skills are worth, or worse, at a loss.
I know Jay far better than you do, he doesn't fit any of this description.

XS, with over 4700+ posts, maybe you should find a hobby or something. I'm sure you'll better at it.

:rolleyes:

Return to “General Comments”