PCAS: Zaon XRX

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

dazednconfused
Rank 2
Rank 2

PCAS: Zaon XRX

Post by dazednconfused »

Wondering if anyone has one and what they think of it.

Are there any similar competing products out there? (minus the smaller mrx version).
---------- ADS -----------

dcabrown
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: PCAS: Zaon XRX

Post by dcabrown »

I finally got one just recently after months (possibly over a year) of going back and forth looking for info on its usefulness. Heres what I can tell you so far.

Cons:
Price - it hurts. $1400 or so.
False sense of security - it is up to the pilot to remember that primary collision avoidance is their responsibility, and by no means does having this device mean the quality of their traffic scan can be allowed to diminish. This was actually my biggest fear. The paradox is that for *some* people, purchasing this unit would make them a less safe pilot. Why? they sub-consciously think it is a substitute for basic see and avoid. It is not. When I set it up each flight, I basically try and forget as much as possible it is there and functioning properly. It will NOT pick up all transponder equipped traffic 100% of the time. On approach to Burlington the other day (which can get quite busy) it picked up a Bonanza 3nm away, but was late in detecting a C150 in the circuit which I knew was there from their radio calls. I was about 1nm away by the time the unit picked it up, well after I had made visual contact.
Think of the unit as a bonus set of eyes, that like humans, will miss stuff at times.
Distraction - wires, plus another screen to look at means your attention can get directed away from where it needs to be - outside!!

Pros:
- It consistently picks up transponder equipped traffic well beyond visual range, and serves to get your attention outside (presuming you're not fixated on the screen, which has a radar-like display that shows the relative position of aircraft within range.) It works as advertised. I can't comment on the functional or physical durability of the unit as I've had it only a month or so. It sits on top of the panel and travels in a plastic, foam lined case for protection.
- Shows relative position. I have seen both the MRX and XRX in use and the XRX is superior no doubt (albeit almost $800 more). The MRX gives you relative altitude and distance, but thats all. Whereas the more expensive XRX has a pictoral display which also directs you which way to look.

I spent a lot of time searching for similar products and was unable to find any. From what I remember, in the U.S., their aviation infrastructure allows for a few additional competing products but I dismissed the details of them as they were not applicable to me (I suspect the same for you?)

All in all I would recommend the unit. Remember that expression "set it and forget it" from that "As seen on TV" oven? Use the unit like that.

dazednconfused
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dazednconfused »

Thank you for the very informative reply. Appreciate you taking the time to write all that.

I'm seeing some used xrx units for $600-$800 usd. So far, all of the reviews have been positive, but mention the key item you brought up - it's not replacement for see and avoid. My concern is that it is very difficult to sometimes seea another GA aircraft, especially to the side of you in a highwing plane. Since i'm trying to save money to do my CPL (i dont know how ppl can afford training nowadays), I'm going to hunt for a used unit and try it out. All in all, I dont think it can hurt having a unit like this in busy uncontrolled airspace.

dcabrown
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dcabrown »

The XRX is ideal for the GTA. It freeloads off transponder responses from radar and other TIS equipped aircraft. Given the strong presence of both in the Toronto area, the unit is particularly effective, but definitely note my above example of my approach to Burlington where radio calls and looking outside was the key to maintaining safe separation.

There was a mid-air collision in the Brampton area years ago, that has weighed on my mind for some time. In it, the TSB concluded that the accident (2 aircraft, a 182 going from Burlington to cottage country and a 152 doing training around the Brampton area, converging at about a 45 degree angle at same altitude) was due to... "limitations of the see and avoid principal".... and the very restrictive airspace around certain parts of the GTA (especially Brampton area) which confines aircraft to below 2000 ft but above 1600-1800 as the ground elevation is 600-800 in most areas. From what I remember the implementation of the VFR routes now published in the Toronto VTA were a recommendation as result of that incident.

RFlyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RFlyer »

dcabrown wrote:I finally got one just recently after months (possibly over a year) of going back and forth looking for info on its usefulness. Heres what I can tell you so far.

Cons:
On approach to Burlington the other day (which can get quite busy) it picked up a Bonanza 3nm away, but was late in detecting a C150 in the circuit which I knew was there from their radio calls. I was about 1nm away by the time the unit picked it up, well after I had made visual contact.

Pros:
- It consistently picks up transponder equipped traffic well beyond visual range, and serves to get your attention outside (presuming you're not fixated on the screen, which has a radar-like display that shows the relative position of aircraft within range.)
Hey, can you clarify that a bit? Under Cons, although you didn't say it did not pick up that C-150, it did come in late. In Pros you say it consistently picks up transponder-equipped traffic. So do you mean that it works well but not necessarily promptly?

I think there was another thread on this subject about a year or two ago and one of the major cons someone identified was the distraction caused by all the warnings in busy airspace. What's that been like for you - I gather you are in a busy airspace. Here in the lower mainland can also be considered busy.

I've been thinking about getting one of these too.

Cheers

RF

dcabrown
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dcabrown »

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

What I meant to communicate is that it does a very good job at detecting traffic and yes, it does so "promptly" but it may not work 100% of the time.
There may be the odd occasions where for whatever reason, the traffic is late to appear or, or may not appear at all. The manual clearly states that this may occur and from my brief experience it has. Perhaps that C150 I was referring to above had their transponder off and then turned it on. But the point I want to make in any case is that you should not expect 100% detection of all traffic all the time. That said, it's great for picking up stuff beyond visual range and gets your eyes looking in the right area. Also, on those hot, hazy days when visibility is crap, it's again, very useful.

I'm based out of Toronto Island which gets extremely busy. I turn the unit off completely once I'm within the Toronto Island control zone as the multiple warnings it would generate would be a nuisance and City Tower generally provides traffic information for both outbound and inbound traffic.

Deltawidget
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Deltawidget »

Works very well, but as mentioned above, not a substitute for see and avoid. Gets your attention when there is traffic in the area.

It seems to not be very accurate in areas where there is a lot of circuit traffic. Perhaps the concentration confuses the unit?

Biggest con by far is the price.

Return to “General Comments”