Banner Towing

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

lanceair
Rank 1
Rank 1

Banner Towing

Post by lanceair »

Hello all,
I am the CFI of a small flight school in a relatively rural area and received a phone call from a local radio station enquiring about us towing a banner with their radio station name on it. I said that we weren't in a financial position to buy all the stuff required but would look into the possibilities of using one of our cessna 172s to tow a banner if they were to purchase all of the gear. Being lazy, i thought i would start here and if i dont get too many negative opinions thrown my way, will probably call a professional banner towing company and try to glean info from them. I suppose a call to my friendly TC representative will also be required. Just off the top of my head a few questions come up...
1) Does our flight school need an operational certificate amendment to do this or permission from TC in other ways?
2) Does a pilot need special 'certified' training to do banner towing? I have a reasonable clue that this is not something you jump into the plane and just do.
3) Depending on banner size of course, would a cessna 172 have the power to do this without damaging the engine from over heat etc.?
4) Do banner towing companies usually go lower than 1000 agl over built up areas or do they get special permission from TC to go lower?
The more i think about this the more i think this is not such a simple thing to do. I guess nothing is simple in aviation.

Perhaps some of you have done this type of flying. I would appreciate your responses especially.
Thanks in advance,
Lanceair
---------- ADS -----------

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Banner Towing

Post by Shiny Side Up »

You should PM shitdisturber about banner towing. He loves it. :D

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

I used to banner tow in Southern California, the easiest answer for you is pass this gentlemen on to an actual banner towing company.

Setting up the logistics to tow isn't worth the hassle for just one or two tow's.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
lanceair
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lanceair »

I knew something as simple as towing a banner behind an aircraft wouldn't be simple. Haha. So am i right that all those questions I asked in my original post will lead me down a dark and complicated path of TC and massive headaches?

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Just hire a banner towing company and tack on a little fee. Win!

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

Shiny Side Up wrote:You should PM shitdisturber about banner towing. He loves it. :D
No wonder nobody likes you.

tractor driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tractor driver »

Hey Lanceair,
I was once in your exact position, and went through all the hoops ( we thought), of getting the OC (702 aerial work), the o.k. from the local TC inspector, bought all the "approved" equipment, letters, etc., had an amo do the installation, etc., etc., then had tc come back on us, telling us that "field approvals" were not allowed any more, we would now need engineering drawings and approvals as the american manufacturer did not hold an stc that would be valid for us, and in general have to re-invent the wheel as far as banner towing went. If it's worth that to your company, and whatever else has come up in the years since we did it, taking the advice of some of the other posters by getting a hold of someone who is already doing it is sound advice. Other than that, I'd pass the buisness on.
The training isn't too bad, and the banner sizes are matched to the capability of the aircraft. Radio station Logos fly pretty well, banner characters were limited to about 15 - 20 characters for the 172's depending upon capablility as I recall. ie. "HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY" just makes it.
Hope that helps.
g

lanceair
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lanceair »

Somehow all of that work doesn't sound like time well spent. It's funny how something relatively simple in concept gets so weighed down in bureaucracy with change in OC, aircraft specs, insurance, etc. etc. I appreciate your comments which have reduced my work load in an area not likely to bear any real revenue, just headaches.

Cheers!
Lanceair

burninggoats
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by burninggoats »

shitdisturber wrote:
Shiny Side Up wrote:You should PM shitdisturber about banner towing. He loves it. :D
I thought it was hilarious :lol:

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

burninggoats wrote:
shitdisturber wrote:
I thought it was hilarious :lol:
I hope it doesn't make me a bully but I thought the response was funnier.

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

shitdisturber wrote:
Either way, that wasn't a denial of your love for banner towing. :D

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

Shiny Side Up wrote:
shitdisturber wrote:
Either way, that wasn't a denial of your love for banner towing. :D
I should have made you fly the damned things but one of my principles of leadership is to never make a flunky do something you don't want to do yourself! :butthead:

structurespilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by structurespilot »

I currently tow for a company out of Alberta. We use a C150 with a STC'd 180hp engine. I've personally towed up to 35 letters at airports around 4500 AGL, no problem. Banners up to 30 ft X 90 Ft too. Its not for everyone thats for sure. Most of the flight is conducted at about 10 KTS above stall. It's like balancing a spinning basketball on you finger.
We have a commercial OPS cert. just for towing banners, and it involves annual training etc.
We could also do the job for you if its not to far, or recommend a competator, as we sometimes give work to each other, instead of ferrying a C150 large distances.

The letters are meant to read at 1000' agl, so thats not a problem. If you go much lower less people can read them.

PM me for more info if you like.

Return to “General Comments”