CATSA Working to Rule?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: CATSA Working to Rule?

Post by justwork »

I don't get it. Wouldn't "work to rule" actually speed things up? Or is incompetence in their contract?
---------- ADS -----------

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

Why don't we just get rid of CATSA?

Problem solved. :D

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Security screening is a joke. I have flown out of Toronto with ammunition in my coat pocket, (accidently, I was unaware until I got to Calgary). As recently as a week ago, a friend of mine carried a pocket knife on a flight and security didnt catch it. So what is it these clowns are doing?

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

Redneck_pilot86 wrote:So what is it these clowns are doing?
Providing the traveling public with the illusion of security. Didn't a guy get a couple pistols on an AC flight a few weeks back, all the while he was telling security and AC employees that he had them?

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

istp wrote:Why don't we just get rid of CATSA?

Problem solved. :D
This is what they say on their website.

"CATSA was created in 2002 as a Crown corporation governed by a Board of Directors with expertise in aviation, transportation, security and intelligence.....Operating at arms length under the regulatory body of Transport Canada, CATSA reports to The Parliament of Canada through the Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities."

Now how easy is getting rid of government again?? :wink:

The essence of the problem is that our Gov't 'created' this agency as a way of sucking more money from it's people, by collecting billions of dollars on security taxes, purchasing thousands of new scanning equipment and essentially creating jobs to cover it all up. Just like this US Homeland Security branch of their Gov't. They are designed for one purpose only. To capitalize on stupid public fears for their safety.....Great idea, gotta hand it to them.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Flying commercially is like a trip to the dentist. It's expensive, painful and time-consuming. You're sure as heck not going to enjoy it, and you're going to do everything you can to avoid it.

hbk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hbk »

I don't like having my flights leave late, and I couldn't imagine having to wait in line for 3 hours. We're all complaining about this but do they not deserve better working conditions? They are working for a private company and I'm sure making terrible money living in a city with a much higher cost of living than the rest of the country. I don't know the details of their situation but I'm sure they would be voted back to work by our government if they were to strike. Our collective bargaining rights are being eroded in this country, if you don't want them to have the right to work action then why should we as pilots deserve the right.

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

Or how about we base their wages on the amount of terrorists they detect- not tubes of toothpaste.

That would be a cheap alternative to collective bargaining. :P

Cap'n P8
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cap'n P8 »

Is it just Toronto, or country wide? I have to fly commercial tomorrow out of YUL to head to Oklahoma City. Won't be taking anything other than a small handbag. Is two hours prior going to cut it? I might be able to scoot through the crew line with my red pass (but we dont wear uniforms).

"Hell, I'll fly up your ass if the money's right!"
Orlando Jones - Say It Isn't So
Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Proper thing. They were warned.

However the government (minister in charge of CATSA) is also getting what it deserves in contracting with the lowest bidder.
Just a thought, but with all the military folks coming home from the middle east, perhaps we would be better served by using them in place of 'Guarda' personnel. I hazard to guess that they might even be the most effective security screeners around.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/article ... on-airport

Return to “General Comments”