European Coastal Airlines

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

bee tee
Rank 3
Rank 3

European Coastal Airlines

Post by bee tee »

European Coastal Airlines was supposed to operate a Grumman Goose in Croatia. This aircraft was a Canadian aircraft (regs: C-FVFU previously operated by Flying Tankers). They even had Canadian pilots who were going to fly for them.

Anybody have info on the company or what the whole concept was? Was this their only aircraft? Was it owned and operated by Canadians?

I don't even know whether they ever flew or not and I'm just curious.
---------- ADS -----------

arsenal
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by arsenal »

I beleive it was a retired Luftansa pilot that bought vfu and he might have had a few more geese. I searched awhile ago and I think there are some pics of the plance in a hanger in croatia. I think it was doing either scheds or charters out of dubrovnik (sp?). Last time I looked though it was still registered in Canada with the base as Moncton...

Don't know much more than that, I had the chance to fly that plane once and I don't think you'd find a nicer goose out there.

bee tee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bee tee »

Here's a URL of a webpage that has some pics of the Goose in question.
Looks nice!
http://airmens.net/goose.htm

It seems ECA did not have any support in Croatia in opening a float operation. I think its a good concept as the country has over 1,000 islands.

medby
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by medby »

Last edited by medby on Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
hawker driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: European Coastal Airlines

Post by hawker driver »

Anyone working for them on this site?
I have some questions now that they are finally flying.

http://www.ec-air.eu/en/

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

The Twin Otters are in service, and the Goose should be in service later this summer, a couple of unexpected details to manage, and they are being managed appropriately. I was inspecting the Goose in March, and expect to be so again in July, to finish the work. Quite an operation, well thought out, with lots of excellent infrastructure in place. The many water destination cities are beautiful!

hawker driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by hawker driver »

I see that they have Canadians and Americans working there, any info on pay and if a European JAA license is required and are they accepting Canadian and US licenses?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I expect that an EASA license will be required for any pilot of an EASA registered plane. Though I cannot speak for ECA's operation directly, I can say that the 182 I fly in EASAland which is presently C reg, will be hands off for me once it is changed to EASA reg, unless I get an EASA license. I've checked every angle, getting an EASA license is much too much effort for me to bother. That said, for someone seeking employment, perhaps it's worth it, mine is only a private flying interest.

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by longjon »

Hows the maintenance at that new start up. EASA -6 guys are sometimes hard to find. I heard the technical manager has no -6 experience and had hired his ex service buds with no English read or write or -6 time. So if you go technical be prepared to wait a LONG time for repairs. #3d hand info do please correct me if I'm wrong. First AirSealines, then Turkey, sure hope this doesn't follow suite.

geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by geodoc »

Head scratcher for how you can make a -6 on amphibs pay considering it's reduced useful load. Also they are apparently still obliged to fuel at an airport, hence the amphibs.

hawker driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by hawker driver »

It looks like they are done.
Just had their AOC pulled after a news story was published with photos of poor maintenance and corroded control cables plus homemade parts.

Google Translate gives you an idea.

http://www.index.hr/vijesti/clanak/foto ... 12419.aspx

http://www.croatiaweek.com/seaplanes-st ... n-croatia/

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by longjon »

Looks like they brought Zimex maintenance guys in to get the machines serviceable. They don't come cheap.

Saxub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Saxub »

Only one of the four (?) twotters are running. The rest are still being worked through.

And as for licensing from my understanding if you have an ICAO ATPL with a -6 rating you can get a two year validation to allow you to work there and get your EASA conversion done.

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by longjon »

So this is and I quote" Quite the operation and well thought out" as posted previously has had its ops cert CX and has to bring in expensive outside help to bring it back in to operation, How well thought out was it to not hire experienced maintenance. Salt water ops in a warm environment, you had better have experienced guys.

Last edited by longjon on Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

There sure is a lot of negative sentiment on here for this operation, I wonder why? Why not simply support a fellow aviation operation? ECA has skilled and knowledgeable aviation professionals, providing an innovative service, using Canadian made aircraft, and employing a number of Canadians, why not find a kind word before knocking them here?

Amphibious aircraft do have weight penalties, but they're pretty well a necessity when your operation flies between places with no water available for takeoff and landing (in Italy), to other places with water, but no runway (Croatian island harbours) - that's the service they offer!

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

It does sound like sour grapes from certain people that they weren't paid to consult.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by longjon »

We all know they use -6 and have CDN pilots and fly to nice places and went through a lot of time to set this ops up, no questions there. I'm just stating that they did not get the maintenance side right. From the picture of the rudder cable it looks like steel. Why would you fit that in a warm salt environment when stainless is the norm ? Read the comments on their site. All delays, why is this? As a pilot would you like to be flying these machines for a living?

Last edited by longjon on Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Tell us.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by longjon »

hire experienced guys and pay them, jeez what do you want to know.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I want to know what your point is. You're saying they didn't hire experienced maintenance people? What do you base that statement on? 3rd hand gossip, is that right?

Return to “General Comments”