GA Headsets

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Gear Jerker
Rank 4
Rank 4

GA Headsets

Post by Gear Jerker »

I searched and didn't find - I apologize if this is redundant.
I have used the David Clark H10-13.4 for the past few years, and they have served me just fine up until lately, although after wearing them all day my ears do get a little sore. I'm considering upgrading to a higher end product, IE Lightspeed Zulu, Bose, etc. So far the Lightspeed Sierra strikes me as the right combination of price/value, but I'm interested to hear some opinions on (pardon the corny catchphrase) what is the best 'bang for the buck'?
---------- ADS -----------

Look, it's f***in Patrick Swayze and Reveen!
Go Juice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: GA Headsets

Post by Go Juice »

It's your ears, don't be a cheap ass!! I have the zulu and love them. Not a fan of the bose but some ppl seem to love em.

You can always buy different headset and try the ones you like the most. But you only get one set of ears!!!!

A device is yet to be invented that will measure my indifference to this remark.
D_Thissen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by D_Thissen »

Like I tell my students, do your home work and don't cheap out. You only have one set of ears. I personally love my clarity aloft headet, but each person is different.

FL_CH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL_CH »

One more vote for Clarity Aloft. ANR noise reduction levels, very lightweight, and only about $550. Doesn't work for everyone though, as some people can't stand having something in their year canal.

"Then from 1000 ft AGL until the final capture altitude, the A/C accelerates backwards up along the altitude profile with idle thrust"
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Telex Stratus 50D. Amazingly quiet, and not just when the batteries are working. Really comfortable for all head sizes.

http://www.telex.com/us/aviation/produc ... 0?fam[]=53

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

Telex Stratus 50D
Ditto, I'm onto my second pair of 50D's. First pair lasted 10 years of abuse. Need to get around to sending that first pair back for repair.

Very comfortable and very quiet even in a really noisy cockpit.

Peter

ANalli
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ANalli »

We've started using the new Sennheiser S1 after having previously worn Zulu's and Bose. LOVE the S1. They've worked diligently to bring their expertise in professional audio to aviation.

Anthony

The Aviators - Airing in Canada on Travel+Escape, across the US on PBS, overseas on Discovery, and online on iTunes.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

cgzro wrote:
Telex Stratus 50D
Ditto, I'm onto my second pair of 50D's. First pair lasted 10 years of abuse. Need to get around to sending that first pair back for repair.

Peter
Call Telex before you ship it, they will often give you free shipping both ways for factory repairs.

tonyhunt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tonyhunt »

ahramin wrote:
cgzro wrote:
Telex Stratus 50D

Peter
Call Telex before you ship it, they will often give you free shipping both ways for factory repairs.
If you can do simple repairs and know what parts you need, call Telex and they might send you the parts - no charge. They sent me new parts and some new ear pads this Spring, no charge, my Telex 50D's were 6 years old.

Agreed, they are the best ANR headsets for a noisy or open cockpit environment, and still work reasonably well even when the batteries die.

Tony Hunt
RFC - CYRO
erics2b
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by erics2b »

I also love the Telex 50Ds, but for long flights, the Bose A20 is much more comfortable, having so little clamping force. This does however mean absolutely poor passive noise reduction, so if your batteries die, killing the ANR, you have to press the headset against your ears hard if you want to make out any transmissions (in a noisy cockpit).

akoch
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by akoch »

erics2b wrote:I also love the Telex 50Ds, but for long flights, the Bose A20 is much more comfortable, having so little clamping force. This does however mean absolutely poor passive noise reduction, so if your batteries die, killing the ANR, you have to press the headset against your ears hard if you want to make out any transmissions (in a noisy cockpit).
I think I found a solutions for this that I tried and it works - keeping three extra sets of AA batteries in the cockpit, in each pocket...

Re: Sennheiser S1 - I really hoped for those to be an upgrade to the A20. No, it did not work out that way.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

just wondering what you guys consider a "noisy cockpit" when you speak of the telex stratus 50?

erics2b
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by erics2b »

goleafsgo wrote:just wondering what you guys consider a "noisy cockpit" when you speak of the telex stratus 50?
Pitts.

Gear Jerker
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Gear Jerker »

Thanks for the input everyone! Where do you recommend as a place to go try out various headsets? I'm in Victoria; I'm thinking either Seattle (can't remember which store but I remember there being a supply shop somewhere) or Aviation World at CYVR.

Look, it's f***in Patrick Swayze and Reveen!
metal
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by metal »

I'd suggest Aviation World. They've got most of the best sellers there and in a convenient location.

Yan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Yan »

I hate to hijack the thread but I have the Bose A20 for sale if anyone is interested.

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=77524

Return to “General Comments”