Pilot locked in bathroom causes terror scare

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Pilot locked in bathroom causes terror scare

Post by FlyGy »

boeingboy wrote:Of course - if any of you actually took the time to watch the video that's in the web link................they told you the FA was on the flight deck.
Good point, I stopped listening prior to that and the only info I'd gotten was the the FO stated he was alone on the flight deck.
---------- ADS -----------

human garbage
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re:

Post by human garbage »

Beefitarian wrote:I think Nark has a valid point though. The reason not everyone knows how certain security things work is to keep bad guys from having access to information that might help them figure out ways to breach things. Yeah this isn't the biggest secret but why put any information about that sort of thing on the internet?
+1 to that. The man takes opsec seriously, and that is commendable.

"...flying airplanes is really not all that difficult so it attracts some of the most mentally challenged people in society." - . .

"Baby, stick out your can... 'cause I'm the garbageman"
niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

FlyGy wrote:
boeingboy wrote:Of course - if any of you actually took the time to watch the video that's in the web link................they told you the FA was on the flight deck.
Good point, I stopped listening prior to that and the only info I'd gotten was the the FO stated he was alone on the flight deck.
FOs are real pilots too? The know how to actually fly the plane?

:D

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Hawkerflyer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hawkerflyer »

Maybe she was in the lav with the Captain?

"Six of us broke formation, five Jerries and I". - George "Buzz" Beurling
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

It's (apparently) not always the procedure to have a FA in the cockpit to open the door again when one of the pilots pees, at least in Japan...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/09/ ... 3357.shtml

Cough Syrup
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cough Syrup »

Hawkerflyer wrote:Maybe she was in the lav with the Captain?

:lol:

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

CpnCrunch wrote:It's (apparently) not always the procedure to have a FA in the cockpit to open the door again when one of the pilots pees, at least in Japan...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/09/ ... 3357.shtml
The FAs must be in the back giving a watchful eye for Godzilla as their notams are never accurate.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Chris
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chris »

I've never seen an FA take position in the flight deck while one of the pilots visits the lav.

I had a chat with the Captain of an AC A320 recently while waiting for the lav to open up, and when he returned to the flight deck, he just punched in the code and walked in himself. No complicated procedures, no secret knocks.

I thought FAs were on the flight for the safety of the passengers, not to open doors for the pilots. Seems odd to me. But what do I know, I gave up no the airline pilot dream long ago.

chu me
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chu me »

Dear Chris;

In the spirit of the forum I will provide a positive, informative post to educate you. F/A's are there for passenger safety, however when one pilot of a two crew aircraft has to use the lav, that leaves only one pilot on the flight deck. As the flight deck door is behind that pilot he/she would have to get up and leave the controls ( albeit momentarily) to look through the peep hole to ascertain that the person knocking on the door is the returning pilot and open said door. This is not a good situation to be in.... no one at the controls. Therefore on some aircraft it is necessary to have a F/A perform that security function so the other pilot can remain at the controls.

Sincerely

Chu me

P.S. I am sure that every terrorist who has ever flown on an aircraft is already aware of these procedures, so I do not believe that any big "Atpl ops" procedures were given up. Can anyone tell me where this "ATPL Ops" manual is....I have to read it one day :D .

Chris
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chris »

At the controls? Doesn't "control" end at 400' now?! :(

Regardless. If there is a keypad entry system to unlock the doors, why would anyone need to get up and look through the peephole? I can only assume that this manual 'look through the peep hole' procedure (which is completely flawed from a security stand point) is only for the 'little planes, on the little (cheap) carriers'. The big boys apparently pay the money for that fancy keypad entry system.

I have about 10 flights in the next 30 days, so at least I'll have something semi-interesting to watch for.

chu me
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chu me »

Dear Chris;

While you may regard it as cheap, it is very effective. It would be hard for a "stranger"to enter while the F/A is at the door. However if a terrorist get the combo to the door you are screwed. If you do not think it can happen just Google the security expert who got all the door codes to Pearson International just by watching people use them for 15 minutes.

Sincerely

Chu me

P.S. Why would you be watching for this........hmmmmmm :lol:

Chris
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chris »

chu me wrote: P.S. Why would you be watching for this........hmmmmmm :lol:
Cause I've watched every movie and TV show available on the IFE!! Hopefully there will be an update to the programming by next week.

Return to “General Comments”