Pilot locked in bathroom causes terror scare

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JDW
Rank 3
Rank 3

Pilot locked in bathroom causes terror scare

Post by JDW »

He was caught with his pants down.
A pilot who accidentally locked himself in the bathroom of his LaGuardia-bound plane caused a terror scare last night when a helpful passenger with an accent tried to come to his rescue by banging on the cockpit door.
The embarrassing comedy of errors began when the captain of a Chatauqua Airlines flight from Asheville, N.C., decided to take a bathroom break before landing.
But when he tried to get out of the men’s room, the door jammed, trapping him in the tight quarters.
Desperate to get out and land the plane — which was in a holding pattern above the airport — he pounded his fists on the door to attract attention.
A well-intentioned passenger sitting in the front row heard his thumping and hurried over to help.
Relieved, the pilot told the passenger to go to the cockpit and alert the crew to his plight.
But crew members didn’t react well to the unexpected visit from a stranger trying to breach the highly secure area of the plane.
Click here to read more of this story from the New York Post.
:lol:

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/11/17/pi ... z1dzejo4Ih
---------- ADS -----------

Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Pilot locked in bathroom causes terror scare

Post by Expat »

The war on terror was lost, when flying aces got terrorized by
helpful passenger with an accent trying to come to his rescue by banging on the cockpit door.
:lol:

Success in life is when the cognac that you drink is older than the women you drink it with.
FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

Where was the F/A?

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Oh great.... accent screening at the gate now. :roll:

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

FlyGy wrote:Where was the F/A?
The FA was exactly where they were required to be.

Funny foreign accents tend to have a monopoly on hijacking.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

Nark wrote:
FlyGy wrote:Where was the F/A?
The FA was exactly where they were required to be.
Awesome!! You were on the plane!! Can you tell us more about the incident? You know how the media leaves out the good stuff.

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

Anyone who is/was an airline pilot know where she was.

Or if your the least bit cognizant about airline flying, you too would know where she was.

Like I said earlier she was where she was supposed to be.

Semper Fidelis
JDW
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by JDW »

Awesome!! You were on the plane!! Can you tell us more about the incident? You know how the media leaves out the good stuff.
Wtf is up with this attitude? Nark being logical and clearly smarter than you, made the assumption that on this airline flight there were 2 pilots. Now when one gets up to take a piss, it would only seem logical that the other would be tending to the shop up front. Or maybe he read the whole article 'Relieved, the pilot told the passenger to go to the cockpit and alert the crew to his plight.' Either way, here is someone who made a non-offensive (in this case accurate and logical point) and you still had to be a jerk. What are you trying to prove? FlyGy I hope you know you are not impressing anyone and that attitude is polluting these boards

The Other Kind
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by The Other Kind »

The F/A was in the cockpit, waiting for the now pee-deficient crew member to return so he/she could open the door to let him/her back onto the flight deck.

Sorry for ruining it for those who feel an ATPL should come with a secret decoder ring.

Back out on that road again
Turn this beast into the wind
There are those that break and bend
I'm the other kind
Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

Thanks for being an internet hero.

Some of us take what the Operations Manuals have to say about security protocols seriously, pilots "physiological needs" being one of them.

Semper Fidelis
FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

JDW wrote:
Wtf is up with this attitude?
Nark got what he gave. I asked where the F/A was because there was nothing at all mentioned in the story. I had no idea that the Flight Attendants were supposed to go onto the flight deck to open the door for the pilot. I'd had assumed he had a key or that there was an electronic locking switch activated on the panel.

I was actually hoping that someone would educate me as to why the passenger couldn't just grab a Flight attendant to get assistance. Instead I got some obscure and assholish comment that answered nothing. "She was where she was supposed to be." is meaningless to someone who doesn't know the fine intricacies of the ATPL OPs manual that Nark takes so seriously and thinks everyone knows by heart, or more appropriately, the gross intricacies that comes from being a passenger on a jet that flies more than once every couple of years like I do.

Now, thanks to "The Other Kind" I am aware of where at least one Flight Attendant was.

Your response though does illustrate why these boards are getting the reputation I've learned about when taking about them to other pilots though. Not everyone who flies an airplane has 20,000 hours and checked to fly everything but an A380. You're pretty new here too, but you're well on your way to fitting in with the "in" crowd.

I'd hoped that by joining these forums I'd be able to take part in an educational process to learn about those things with which I am not familiar. But, I guess there's a few of these "know it alls" everywhere one goes.

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

I answered with with a smartass statement, and got one back. No sleep lost here.

However, just like Fight Club, what's in the Ops Manual in this case, stays in the Ops Manual. Describing on an open forum the procedure that airliner types go through, when they want to take a leak is in poor form. Just as a medevac pilot discussing their last patient.

Also, not all aircraft have multiple FA's. Chautauqua flies the baby jungle jets, E135-E145's that require only 1 FA.

Semper Fidelis
hnl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hnl »

I hear they got the pilot out of the washroom by using a "can opener".....

Darkwing Duck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Darkwing Duck »

Nark, whilst I normally agree with you, your comment was a bit harsh and condescending . FlyGy was trying to wrap his head around the situation, where were the FA's, how many FA's, etc. The reason for this forum sometimes is to educate, something that you should of taken a lead on and actually forwarded your knowledge onto others, something you have done in the past.

Play nice AvCanadians.

Kowalski: Sir, we may be out of fuel.
Skipper: What makes you think that?
Kowalski: We've lost engine one, and engine two is no longer on fire.
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I think Nark has a valid point though. The reason not everyone knows how certain security things work is to keep bad guys from having access to information that might help them figure out ways to breach things. Yeah this isn't the biggest secret but why put any information about that sort of thing on the internet?

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

Nark wrote:I answered with with a smartass statement, and got one back. No sleep lost here.
None here either. Nark's comment was just par for the course. JDW, on the other hand, got all bent out of shape because he feels I sullied his thread.

I honestly had no idea that asking someone to reveal that information might be a security threat either. Like Nark says, it may be in poor form, but there are those, like me, out here who don't even know enough about the subject to recognise it as such. Hence, Nark may have been trying to be coy in effort to evade the question, but the best way would have been to not post a response at all. Thus my interpretation of his comment and subsequent posts.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

"sullied his thread"?

It's like you wore clean shoes in by mistake. He reacted like you dropped trou' and scooted across the white carpet leaving a skid mark.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Of course - if any of you actually took the time to watch the video that's in the web link................they told you the FA was on the flight deck.

ragingtornado
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ragingtornado »

Funny story.... then... wait for it.... lots of arguing

It's rare to see a thread that doesn't descend to mud slinging around here... Is it possible for pilots to forget their ego for a couple seconds and write an informative response instead of a snarky one?

(hope this post doesn't start more arguing)

burhead1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by burhead1 »

I am glad it was clarified, I thought you meant she was in the lavatory with the pilot. :)

I had to, cause someone was going to say it. :smt040

Still must have been a tough decision for the co-pilot.

Return to “General Comments”