International Pilot Shortage

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

slowstream
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: International Pilot Shortage

Post by slowstream »

. Yeagermister wrote:Slowstream,

Just wondering if you went through a job placement agency or did you apply directly. Also wondering what you know about companys over there ie who to avoid etc.... I have a type rating on the A-330 unfortunately with not much time on type. Previous to this EX-Jazz lots of Jet, 705 exp.

Thanks!

HKG was with the airline itself, I have two others that I am also entertaining as well but they are through a agency. Right now the agency jobs have a much better package so I have some figuring, some negotiating and some decisions to do and make.

As for which companies to avoid that can be tough, best recommendation is get to know loads of people who you cab solicit for information and opinions. You will wants lots of people because not everyone has the same circumstances and values as you will, its sort of like comparing apples to oranges.

The best I can tell you right now is to watch out for Eva and Hong Kong Airlines, and as soon as I post this someone will post that they're great operators, which attests to what I just said.

Asia is going gang busters right now, airlines (like Dragon) advertising for crews that have not looked for crews in years. Personally for me, I agree with Birddog the money, conditions and benefits are better in Asia.

Good luck to you
---------- ADS -----------

Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Expat »

Overseas work gets better with time, as one learns the culture, may be even the language, and slowly settles down. Then you grow a circle of co workers, friends, etc...
You get used to the food, atmosphere, weather, plusses and minusses of the country...
Life just gets easier, and better by the day. :D

Success in life is when the cognac that you drink is older than the women you drink it with.
mgeni
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mgeni »

Colonel Sanders wrote:
the lifestyle and place , in my opinion, beats the heck out of being in small town
One man's dogsh1t is another man's fertilizer (shrug).
Well said!

I_Heart_Seaplanes
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by I_Heart_Seaplanes »

Wacko wrote: I can guarantee you that most guys with under 1000 hours are still hard up and those with 200 are only offered ramp positions.
Not from where I'm sitting. This summer, myself as well as two good friends got jobs on the coast with 200-300hrs. Operators that didn't used to give the time of day are now returning phone calls and actually sounding interested.

If you're gonna to be dumb, you gotta be tough
. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

:shock:

That's good news! :supz:

Wacko
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Wacko »

I_Heart_Seaplanes wrote:
Wacko wrote: I can guarantee you that most guys with under 1000 hours are still hard up and those with 200 are only offered ramp positions.
Not from where I'm sitting. This summer, myself as well as two good friends got jobs on the coast with 200-300hrs. Operators that didn't used to give the time of day are now returning phone calls and actually sounding interested.
That's why I said MOST ;)

Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac. George Orwell
Disclaimer: The above post was not meant to offend anyone.

Return to “General Comments”