Rejected Takeoff or "Go & Touch"?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Rejected Takeoff or "Go & Touch"?

Post by Doc »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:
Cat Driver wrote:The old Cat doesn't have access to an Airbus sim anymore and I would like one of you guys to do a rejected take off from fifty feet in the air at FVHA, let me know if you run off the 15502 feet of runway.
Well actually you are not technically doing a "rejected takeoff" as by definition those only occur while the aircraft is still on the runway. I would suggest what you are doing is an unbriefed, not coordinated with the FO, probably over max landing weight, with the wrong flap setting, and out of trim plain old landing. While I am sure it is technically possible I have got to ask why would you want to ?
Curiosity killed the Cat?
---------- ADS -----------

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

This forum has to have some of the most anal members of any forum on earth.

I stand corrected, if you lift off and get fifty feet in the air reduce power to zero thrust and land straight ahead I guess you could call it a short flight.

The reason I would be interested in doing this in an Airbus sim is simple......when I had access to their sim in Toulouse I didn't try it, but we did see who could do the shortest circuit.

Simulators are the perfect tool for pilots to practice flying in, sure you can crash one...but they can be rebooted while you go for a coffee.......practicing the short flight I described in a real Airbus on the other hand might not be the best idea you had on that given day.

If nothing else at least I worked with Airbus and they gave me training on their magic machines while I was being paid......how many of you experts here have done that?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Cat Driver wrote:I stand corrected, if you lift off and get fifty feet in the air reduce power to zero thrust and land straight ahead I guess you could call it a short flight.
How long does the runway have to be to log it as 0.1 x/c?

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Or better yet, if you take off in the Atlantic ocean from North America and fly to the western shore of say Ireland and land back in the water, would that be a cross country?

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Cat Driver wrote:when I had access to their sim in Toulouse I didn't try it, but we did see who could do the shortest circuit.
I've done that... in a DASH 8 100 simulator :lol:
CARS violations are welcome, but AFM limits strictly observed... any guess on the time?!?

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re:

Post by Doc »

Beefitarian wrote:
Cat Driver wrote:I stand corrected, if you lift off and get fifty feet in the air reduce power to zero thrust and land straight ahead I guess you could call it a short flight.
How long does the runway have to be to log it as 0.1 x/c?
I don't think you can log XC if you land at the same airport? But it would be .1 if you did actually fly....

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

One minuite? :mrgreen:

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Haha... close!! 48 seconds.

A lot of fun to try different techniques to try and cut the time down.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Good job, anything under a minute for a circuit shows real skill. :mrgreen:

I honestly can't remember the time we took in the A320 sim but I do know one of my instructors dragged a wing and crashed the thing.....it was quite an experience when it actually hit the ground...fuc.in near scared me to death. :mrgreen:

Flying Nutcracker
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Flying Nutcracker »

How about 8 touch and goes in one circuit? 8858 foot runway in a Single piston.

I will try the 50' cut in the 37-sim next time perhaps. Have a feeling that inertia and trim will be a huge factor. Don't have discing to help the process in a jet...

Flying Nutcracker
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Flying Nutcracker »

Wasn't there. Don't fly the type. Don't know the rationale behind the decision. Don't know what they were looking at at the time of the occurence. Don't know all the facts.

I do know that in the turboprop I used to fly... I had often thought about the scenario of putting the airplane back on the runway if needed be. Worked out numbers for what I needed and then added a few feet. Ran the scenario in my head several times. Gear selection would be the decision point. This is why now I never touch any handle before the PF calls for it.

In my current job there is nothing to back up what I just said. Therefore, after V1 we are going unless the plane is falling apart.

SOPs are to be used and followed, yes, but experience and knowledge about your airplane sometimes help you make decisions beyond the least experienced denominator. It doesn't mean you can bend the SOPs to fit you, rather you can use the SOPs as a tool and backbone to your decisionmaking when things outside of normal ops are thrown at you.

For a Dash 8, with the limited knowledge I have about it, I am sure that it can land and stop in less than what my old turboprop could. Whose to say the Captain hadn't thought through this scenario before this day?

For all we know... Maybe it was a fairly educated decision... Whose to say but the Captain?

Just my opinion and thoughts...

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Flying Nutcracker wrote:How about 8 touch and goes in one circuit? 8858 foot runway in a Single piston.
Lol the last time I saw something like that was holding short in Buttonville when a 172 went proposing by. It ended when the nose gave way and the prop hit. Student was ok.

Cat you think this forum is anal, you should see the forum my wife is a member of for new mothers - baby board. :shock: man don't argue with a mom whose "right" :smt040

In all honesty this has been a thought provoking discussion with good points all around.
The best part about this thread is were debating about an event that had a positive outcome, not another condolences thread.

Fly safe.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
jet a1
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jet a1 »

you know what, if these guys had followed sop's and kept going and something happened we'd all be on here saying why the hell didn't they just put her down on the remaining runway. this crew had a situation that confronted them, they dealt with it in a way that ended safely. why are we still talking about it?

grimey
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by grimey »

Doc wrote:
I don't think you can log XC if you land at the same airport? But it would be .1 if you did actually fly....
Sort of OT, world's shortest commercial flight, 1 minute 30 seconds:

no sig because apparently quoting people in context is offensive to them.
flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by flyincanuck »

What a read!

To the crew, nice work! Hope you enjoyed a few cases of beer while reading this thread!

Return to “General Comments”