Co-pilot liability

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ktcanuck
Rank 4
Rank 4

Co-pilot liability

Post by ktcanuck »

From ANN. The Washington Post has a more complete publishing of this AP piece.

Wed, Dec 07, 2011
US Coast Guard Prosecuting Crash Survivor Lieutenant Singled Out In MH-60 Accident in July, 2010

A US Coast Guard helicopter co-pilot who was the only survivor of a wire strike last year off the coast of Washington state has recovered and been cleared to retrain. But for now, 31-year-old Lieutenant Lance Leone is flying a desk, and the Coast Guard has charged him with negligent homicide, dereliction of duty and destruction of government property in the crash of the MH-60 Jayhawk (similar aircraft shown in USCG photo).

One of the three fatalities in the crash was Brett Banks, a 33-year-old from Rock Springs, Wyoming. The Washington Post reports that the Banks family does not blame Leone, and thought it had achieved closure. Sandra Banks, Brett's mother, tells the paper, “We’re very upset about it. We don’t think it should be happening. Another family’s being destroyed and it’s breaking our hearts.”

The Post reports Leone has earned a long list of Coast Guard awards and accolades, including commendation medals. Witnesses to the accident say that during the flight from Astoria, Oregon to the crew’s base in Sitka, Alaska, the helicopter was flying low and hit power cables strung 1,900 feet from LaPush, Washington to James Island. (Photo: James Island as seen from LaPush.) Leone was pulled from the water by onlookers.

The Coast Guard charges he failed to properly navigate to avoid charted hazards and negligently failed to ensure the helicopter was flying at a higher altitude. He's also being held accountable for the loss of the $18 million aircraft. He could face more than seven years in prison if convicted at a court martial.

Lt. Leone would not comment to the Washington Post. His father George, who lives in Florida, told the paper the wire span was marked with orange balls near the poles, but not across the span. There have been no charges files posthumously against the pilot who was actually at the controls. The elder Leone, notes, "the sole survivor, they’re trying to blame him. It’s just unbelievable.”

There could be an incentive for scapegoating. Maintenance of the power line is the responsibility of the US Coast Guard, and the line has taken down two aircraft in the past, one in the late 1950s, and another one in 1961.
---------- ADS -----------

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Co-pilot liability

Post by Rowdy »

That is a terrible loss and an interesting course of action to take against a co-pilot who survived a horrific accident. I'm sure he, his family and his peers are all suffering still. Thats a lot of emotional trauma to recover from and I doubt he will ever be the same as a result.

Now the question is, what was the weather at the time? Is that why they were down low? If not, why were they so low? Why are there no markers on that cable crossing? especially seeing as it's brought down aircraft in the past.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

1900' for a helicopter is HIGH

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Oh great. Half the money but all of the responsibility.

jet a1
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jet a1 »

:D +1

Prairie Chicken
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Prairie Chicken »

Jesus H. Rosevelt Crist! This seems really low, and I don't mean the altitude! Unless they have some strong evidence (e.g., cockpit voice recordings) to suggest otherwise, the PIC was responsible. And the article said the PIC was flying too. It strikes me the issue here is that cable being operated or maintained by the USCG.

I think that 1900' was from La Push to James Isl., not altitude. I also suspect the location of the marker balls on the cable was a significant factor in this, and if the USCG were the owner/operator of the cable .... more responsibility in that direction.

Prairie Chicken
B_Boomer_54
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by B_Boomer_54 »

Let me get this straight.

A man who is trained to jump into the high seas during a hurricane, who saves lives for a living, makes one (accused) mistake, survives, and is court martialed? This man has numerous commendation medals for his service. It does not say if he was the only flying the jayhawk, or does the co-pilot have to take the blame if the pilot (who is flying) , screws up? Are the co-pilots not the back up divers? I remember reading that the co-pilot can be called upon at anytime to transfer roles.

Low indeed. There seems to be something missing from this story. Surely the USCG would not do this to a exemplary man.

MacStork
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MacStork »

I wonder what the real story is ...... it seems that something is missing here.

mgeni
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mgeni »

MacStork wrote:I wonder what the real story is ...... it seems that something is missing here.
I smell a rat too.

CloudCover
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CloudCover »

3 Bars. NOT MY PROBLEM

In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Return to “General Comments”