Borek Beech 1900?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Borek Beech 1900?

Post by Diadem »

I stumbled across this on Google from the September edition of the Inuvialuit Regional Corporation newsletter: "Aklak has identified a Beech 1900D which is available from Kenn Borek Air."
I didn't think KBA had a 1900, and the fleet list on their website doesn't have anything about one, so is this a new edition to the fleet? Anyone willing to share any info?
---------- ADS -----------

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Borek Beech 1900?

Post by just curious »

Full marks to you for googling skills. :P And for reading what is generally, if you aren't Inuvialuit, a very stirring read.

What I suspect is an error of editing. The search for an all-singing-all dancing aircraft for Inuvik is an on-going process. As of this morning, neither Aklak nor Borek has a 1900 in Inuvik.

Cough Syrup
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cough Syrup »

They prob just saw North-Wright's go in there and got thinking....

:D

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

I hope they don't notice Buffalo's DC4 then...

Brantford Beech Boy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brantford Beech Boy »

Perhaps that pesky '9' got inserted by accident.... 8)

BBB

"Almost anywhere, almost anytime...worldwide(ish)"
Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Brantford Beech Boy wrote:Perhaps that pesky '9' got inserted by accident.... 8)

BBB
Here's the full quote: "With respect to the question on the use of a larger plane equipped with a washroom to/from Ulukhaktok, Aklak has identified a Beech 1900D which is available from Kenn Borek Air." I imagine it would be quite the expensive modification to retrofit a 100 with a washroom, although I suppose there's enough room in the back for a bucket.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Obviously if the IDC wanted Aklak to run a 1900 from Inuvik to Ulukhaktok, Borek would have one up there in very short order.

However since they can't break even operating a -100, %50 shareholder discount and all, I doubt it's going to happen any time soon.

kayjay
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kayjay »

I agree fully with what ahramin, a 1900 would be an excellent aircraft in that area with Northwright operating them and Tindi doing the same. With older aircraft's service life coming up what KBA will purchase and when are the big questions.

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

Looking at the cross Canada remuneration for them, I would just as soon never see them on the ramp. Canadian Frontier was probably the only company to pay a wage that didn't require pilots to have to mark the end of their work day by saying "Hi Mom!"; if they were going to survive.
Roll on more Baslers and Otters.

Conquest Driver
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Conquest Driver »

I hope they don't notice Buffalo's DC4 then...
Borek even has experience with them, as I recall.

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

Hence my observation above. Unless we get a Turbine Four.

thirdtimecharm
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thirdtimecharm »

A stand up cabin and flight attendant is an Aboriginal Right under Section 35 of the constitution. My Inuvialuit cousins should not be so gunshy after losing so much money on Dorniers 328's... I know a company that could supply an ATR for a good price. :)

But- love the idea of a Turbine 4- preferably with Rolls Royce Darts...

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

just curious wrote:Looking at the cross Canada remuneration for them, I would just as soon never see them on the ramp. Canadian Frontier was probably the only company to pay a wage that didn't require pilots to have to mark the end of their work day by saying "Hi Mom!"; if they were going to survive.
But wouldn't they be paid the same as other Borek FOs on said Baslers and Otters? I was under the impression that Borek pays above-average, and significantly more than certain AC Tier III operators.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

Diadem wrote:
just curious wrote:Looking at the cross Canada remuneration for them, I would just as soon never see them on the ramp. Canadian Frontier was probably the only company to pay a wage that didn't require pilots to have to mark the end of their work day by saying "Hi Mom!"; if they were going to survive.
But wouldn't they be paid the same as other Borek FOs on said Baslers and Otters? I was under the impression that Borek pays above-average, and significantly more than certain AC Tier III operators.
30,000 per year plus a jar of buttons is significantly more than certain AC TIER III operators. Let's keep that in perspective when considering what "above average" means.

Brantford Beech Boy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brantford Beech Boy »

just curious wrote:Roll on more Baslers and Otters.
I bite my thumb at you sir! :twisted:
BBB

"Almost anywhere, almost anytime...worldwide(ish)"
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Totally out of the loop here but aren't 1900 c's going to be getting shifted up north whenever that SFAR 41 thing expires in Canada (or whatever we call the balanced field requirement exemption thing)? I thought I remember that there was an end coming to that soon. It would make sense to take them north of 60. Only problem with 1900's up there would be range... they have none. But Tuk and Aklavik runs would be perfect stage lengths for her.

oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

only problem with that reasoning is re tuk is the feds gave 150 mil in the last budget(now approved) to complete the all wx road from inuvik to tuk .and the aklavik stage length is 45 miles which will cycle your profits into melting permafrost . other than the occasional winter blizzard and spring thaw washn out a bridge sked flights will become a thing of the past on the tuk inuvik leg once it is completed i would imagine grubens will get the road maintenance contract. though maybe borek construction could be grand fathered into that as well // polite sarcasm no offense intended :rolleyes: by the way has construction started on the mackenzie valley gas pipeline yet?

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

co-joe wrote:Totally out of the loop here but aren't 1900 c's going to be getting shifted up north whenever that SFAR 41 thing expires in Canada (or whatever we call the balanced field requirement exemption thing)? I thought I remember that there was an end coming to that soon. It would make sense to take them north of 60. Only problem with 1900's up there would be range... they have none. But Tuk and Aklavik runs would be perfect stage lengths for her.
Why would a C need to be shifted up North?

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Well my recollection was that the 1900 C, the 350 and the J 31 were going to be forced to meet balanced field spec south of 60 at some point real soon. I was thinking, moving them north to keep making money would make sense. The D's would be useless since EFIS hates the cold.

The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Hammer »

The 1900C can only be operated here using the ICAO AFM under annex 8 with the Canada supplement for a long time (if not forever). THe FAA manual actually had to be amended to meet ICAO standards because the req. numbers weren't available.

My grandfather died along time ago so family is irrelevant.

Only recent perf. change was 2nd segment requirement on sked flight with +9 pax. North, south, east, west too.
for 1900C balanced field is almost always the restriction vs 2nd segment anyway with a few exceptions, and visual obstacle departures can eliminate those instances too. This is a none issue anyway because those same airports have IFR departures that are more restrictive than our visual dep procedures ie If I can legally dep IFR, I can easily perform my 2nd segment visual dep. procedure too.

PS 1900D EFIS does just fine after sitting in YCO for 3 days at -30C (on the warm day)

Co-Joe, aren't you going to miss your bus to school?

Return to “General Comments”