Antonov AN-2

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

GGCC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Antonov AN-2

Post by GGCC »

I have an interest in the Antonov AN-2 at least from a discussion point of view.

A Forum search didn't offer up much (if i did it correctly)

I see from the Civil Register that we have two (at least) registered in Canada....C-FAKA and C-GFBR

I used to fly privately but getting too old and probably too unhealthy these days....

Has anyone on the Forum flown one?

(jeeze the spell checker dosn't like certain words, as in Antonov) :D

Thanks;
Dave
---------- ADS -----------

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Antonov AN-2

Post by Old Dog Flying »

Hi Dave: This Old Curmudgeon has flown one a couple of times..FBR used to be based at ZBB. It is one Big Ugly Fat F$%^&^R with braking system designed by an idiot Brit...like many other Russian machines, the brakes are air pressure, hand operated and you really have to get the sequence right or you'll end up in the weeds.

It is not a pleasant aircraft to fly.

Barney

GGCC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GGCC »

Hi Barney;

Hats off to you for flying one and telling me about it.....
I trained on the Fleet Canuck taildraggers, so had this bright idea if i won the Lotto i'd get myself one.....AN-2 that is :D

I think i've looked at every pic on the web and even searched out the Pilots Handbook translated from Polish....Interesting reading for sure....

Thanks again;

Dave ps: I'm an old (what did you say) crummgeon as well..........

Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Expat »

Sure sounds an interesting plane to fly:

From Wiki:

A note from the pilot's handbook reads: "If the engine quits in instrument conditions or at night, the pilot should pull the control column full aft and keep the wings level. The leading-edge slats will snap out at about 64 km/h (40 mph), and when the airplane slows to a forward speed of about 40 km/h (25 mph), the airplane will sink at about a parachute descent rate until the aircraft hits the ground." [1]

The An-2 indeed has no stall speed quoted in the operating handbook. Pilots of the An-2 say one can fly the aircraft in full control at 30 mph (as a contrast, a modern Cessna four-seater light aircraft has a stall speed of around 55 mph). This slow stall speed makes it possible for the aircraft to fly backwards (if the aircraft is pointed into a headwind of, say, 35 mph (56 km/h), it will travel backwards at 5 mph (8.0 km/h) whilst under full control). (This is also possible with almost any other true Short Take Off and Landing (STOL) aircraft, but the Antonov has the distinction of being able to do the trick in the mildest headwind.)[1]
:smt040

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

Yes I've flown one a couple of times. There is one down in Oshawa that was restored by the same guys that redid the fabric on my Pitts. Corporate Aircraft and my plane was parked under his tail for a few months .. like a mother and baby .. was kinda cute. Anyway the owner took me up in it a few times and I got to fly her. Quite the beast. Big, Heavy slow but a lot of character. The one I flew had a Russian VIP interior, complete with a little booze cabinet in crushed velvet with couple of Vodka bottles and lots of little shot glasses all nicely stashed away. The owner actually picked this one up in Russia and flew it back .. yikes. He has a farm somewhere near Oshawa where he keeps it in the summer and CYOO in the winter. The thing that struck me most was the preparation required to fly in the winter. Lots of clambering around on top of an icy plane to get her ready to go.
I think its considered a sort of Russian version of the Beaver. Go anywhere in the north, haul a lot of stuff.

CJ3PILOT
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CJ3PILOT »

I like to call them a russian tiger moth..but there big alright I think there's one in the Calgary area..

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Isn't there one on floats tied down in one of the rows at CYKZ? Big yellow thing?

GGCC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GGCC »

CJ3PILOT wrote:I like to call them a russian tiger moth..but there big alright I think there's one in the Calgary area..
I'm told this one was sold from Ontario to Airdrie, Alberta

Regards;
Dave

GGCC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GGCC »

Expat wrote:Sure sounds an interesting plane to fly:

From Wiki:

A note from the pilot's handbook reads: "If the engine quits in instrument conditions or at night, the pilot should pull the control column full aft and keep the wings level.
(in part)

Yup! it really does say that along with a lot of other stuff.......

One pilot reviewer said in an article somewhere on line "That it was the worst aircraft he ever flew" .... i think he was American :mrgreen:

GGCC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GGCC »

cgzro wrote:Yes I've flown one a couple of times.
Lots of clambering around on top of an icy plane to get her ready to go.

I think its considered a sort of Russian version of the Beaver. Go anywhere in the north, haul a lot of stuff.(in part)
Hats off to you as well for having had that experience of flying one....The pre-flight is pretty interesting according to the manual, pulling the prop thru manually a few times to scavenge oil from the cylinders, etc, etc......I don't know but probably a usual procedure for a near 1000 HP 9 cylinder radial.... :?:

Dave

Prairie Chicken
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Prairie Chicken »

There used to be two registered in Canada, both in Ontario. It sounds like the same two mentioned above. There was also one sitting in the weeds in Nova Scotia, not flying. What Expat quoted from the flight manual is accurate. In the event of an engine failure, pull the column back & flutter down! I believe it's certified as a two-pilot a/c.

The thing is, you need to be a wealthy guy to fill up the oil, and the gas too. Also, it isn't type certified in Canada so you need to operate on a restricted C of A and if I recall correctly, that restricts it to two or possibly four SOBs. Very interesting a/c though.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

yes pulling prop through with a radial is normal practice to avoid hyraulic lock.
we do it on the little radials too.

yes i recall the wings level full aft stick comment by the owner.
Think stall speed is 20mph or something ridiculous with automatic slats.

yes not certified in Canada so we were limited to I think 2 pax. That made for a looot of space for them. Seem to recall we took two aircadets in luxury on one flight.

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

GGCC wrote:
CJ3PILOT wrote:I like to call them a russian tiger moth..but there big alright I think there's one in the Calgary area..
I'm told this one was sold from Ontario to Airdrie, Alberta

Regards;
Dave
Its still there AFAIK, it was parked on the east side of the field. If one is heading north off of 34 at YYC one should be able to see it from the air.

MIQ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MIQ »

I've been on one as a passenger a couple of years ago. Seems like an amazing airplane with great sound. From the passengers point of view it felt like riding a tractor through the sky. I would love to see one flying in Canada, the FAKA looks really great!

GGCC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GGCC »

Just great info and reports guys....you never know till you ask....and i realize one would have to be wealthy just to keep the gas and oil in one, never mind you probably need a Polish AME....
Most were built in Poland and any number in China....

Regards;
Dave

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

There was also one sitting in the weeds in Nova Scotia, not flying
Yes, Transport put an awful lot of effort - and did some
pretty unpleasant things - to make that so.

ctmorawetz
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ctmorawetz »

C-GFBR is still based at Oshawa and was flown quite recently. Last weekend it flew up to Attawapiskat to deliver supplies to the First Nations community. It still flies about once a month.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

flew up to Attawapiskat to deliver supplies to the First Nations community
I hope Transport doesn't find out about that. If past
experience is any indicator, they'll go completely bananas.

Arian17
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Arian17 »

There are several flying in Europe here and You can get them quite cheap. I flew in one as a passenger on a scenic flight and talked to the pilot. These beasts suck AVgas like crazy, like 600/700l / hour in full power take-off setting and about 300liter/h during cruise.
Many operators here have the problem to keep them flying because of the insane price for AVgas and the insane fuel consumption.

Did You know You could play tennis on an AN-2? 8)

Tennis match on an AN-2

ctmorawetz
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ctmorawetz »

Quote:
flew up to Attawapiskat to deliver supplies to the First Nations community

I hope Transport doesn't find out about that. If past
experience is any indicator, they'll go completely bananas.
He volunteered his time, plane and fuel. I would think that's ok.

Return to “General Comments”