Antonov AN-2

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

GGCC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Antonov AN-2

Post by GGCC »

avieye wrote:As it happens, our company flew two of them until recently..The Chinese made verisions.
Y-5. A picture of our last one on our webist http://www.avieye.com/

They are interesting to fly once for fun..Not a great machine to work in day in and day out.
A beaver they are not.
Holy Mackeral Andy....are you posting from China :?: The website was in Chinese.......

Regards;
Dave
---------- ADS -----------

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

That damned brake lever almost put me back in the tower on my second landing. The first was into wind and a greaser..then Jerry insisted on a crosswind landing..take-off on 25, left turn out , downwind for 30..a wee slip on final from a crab..touch down very smooth then all hell broke loose when I had to apply brake.

The air brakes (wheels) can give differential if you do it right but I managed to hoop the pooch and when we were looking up at the tower over the nose it was..Oh Shit time.."you have control"

We flew one day with 8 retired airline captains on board; at least 200K hours experience that day.

GGCC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GGCC »

Old Dog Flying wrote:That damned brake lever almost put me back in the tower on my second landing. The first was into wind and a greaser..then Jerry insisted on a crosswind landing..take-off on 25, left turn out , downwind for 30..a wee slip on final from a crab..touch down very smooth then all hell broke loose when I had to apply brake.

The air brakes (wheels) can give differential if you do it right but I managed to hoop the pooch and when we were looking up at the tower over the nose it was..Oh Shit time.."you have control"

We flew one day with 8 retired airline captains on board; at least 200K hours experience that day.
Must have been fun giving the big boys a ride, i'm always reminded where they started out and the good ones never forget that....

Great story about the brakes, it ain't only air brakes that can get you in trouble, heel brakes on a Citabria 7ECA wiil do it as well, we had been flying skis all winter from a frozen river, spring break-up was coming so we switched to wheels and i got to fly her back to YSJ landing RW 14...anyway she got a tad twisted on rollout and i near ground looped, the "old" tower could see all and asked me my intentions.....I replied to get this #*&*#& thing to the ramp, he said "may i remind you these conversations are recorded" :rolleyes:

Regards;
Dave (glad to see hangar flying is still around)

GGCC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GGCC »

Just another U-tube on the Antonov cockpit....tied in with playing tennis on the wing from a previous post, nice aerial photography in that one.
And i think the AN-2 is registered in Germany.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV3MS1Md ... ure=relmfu

Regards;
Dave

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

They're all the same. Heel brakes, toe brakes, johnson bar brake lever (PA-22), brit/russkie lever on the stick. Use them as little as possible to avoid chewing up tires, shearing valve stems, and putting the aircraft on it's nose.

Saw at 10kTT pilot taxi out the other day, high power setting and riding the brakes. I guess he didn't care about heating them up, melting ice and snow and freezing them solid so they were locked up for the landing.

raven54
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by raven54 »

Colonel Sanders wrote:
There was also one sitting in the weeds in Nova Scotia, not flying
Yes, Transport put an awful lot of effort - and did some
pretty unpleasant things - to make that so.
Yes, that site is about 5 minutes from my house, last time I drove by it was no where to be seen.

MIQ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MIQ »

GGCC wrote:Just another U-tube on the Antonov cockpit....tied in with playing tennis on the wing from a previous post, nice aerial photography in that one.
And i think the AN-2 is registered in Germany.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV3MS1Md ... ure=relmfu

Regards;
Dave
Yes the Antonov 2 in that video is registered in Germany. The Antonov 2 flight I was on was also in Germany on a german registered AN-2.

Antonov 2

It belongs to a Club called 'Freunde der Antonow' (Friends of the Antonov in english). That's their homepage with a few pictures

http://www.freunde-der-antonow.de/index.html

Check out their Photo section ('Bilder') there's a nice picture of 5 Antonov 2 flying in formation. In the video section is a video from the cockpit at a sightseeing flight with take off and landing on a grass strip. Poor quality but still interesting to watch.

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

It seems like quite a versatile design that can adapt to many roles like this one... :rolleyes:

GGCC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GGCC »

Colonel Sanders wrote:They're all the same. Heel brakes, toe brakes, johnson bar brake lever (PA-22), brit/russkie lever on the stick. Use them as little as possible to avoid chewing up tires, shearing valve stems, and putting the aircraft on it's nose.
johnson bar is that what they called that thing on the Flying Brick.... :?:
Saw at 10kTT pilot taxi out the other day, high power setting and riding the brakes. I guess he didn't care about heating them up, melting ice and snow and freezing them solid so they were locked up for the landing.
That would be a hellava surprise to find you had no brakes upon landing...hell that sometimes happens with my 4x4 and it dosn't fly :mrgreen:

GGCC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GGCC »

(EDITED)It belongs to a Club called 'Freunde der Antonow' (Friends of the Antonov in english). That's their homepage with a few pictures

http://www.freunde-der-antonow.de/index.html

Check out their Photo section ('Bilder') there's a nice picture of 5 Antonov 2 flying in formation. In the video section is a video from the cockpit at a sightseeing flight with take off and landing on a grass strip. Poor quality but still interesting to watch.
Thank you so much for the link....

Regards;
Dave

Gogona
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Gogona »

Honestly, An-2 is my favourite airplane. And of course, I didn't miss that opportunity in Canada - I flew C-FAKA and was impressed to such an extent, so was ready to buy it immediately, but! There are two major factors which prevented me from this step: 1) Incredible fuel consumption 2) Under any circumstances, it can't be registered commerically. That means, the rest of your life you gonna work for fuel only or never fly it.
But other than that she is perfect! I envy the people, who can afford her...

GGCC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GGCC »

Gogona wrote:Honestly, An-2 is my favourite airplane. And of course, I didn't miss that opportunity in Canada - I flew C-FAKA and was impressed to such an extent, so was ready to buy it immediately, but! There are two major factors which prevented me from this step: 1) Incredible fuel consumption 2) Under any circumstances, it can't be registered commerically. That means, the rest of your life you gonna work for fuel only or never fly it.
But other than that she is perfect! I envy the people, who can afford her...
Hi Gogona, thats a great post from my point of view, when i came across the original "for sale" add for C-FAKA i wrote to the owner only to find she had been sold to Alberta....I'll tell you what, i hope to be in a position here soon to buy an Antonov AN-2 and i can assure you fuel consumption will not be an issue....When that day arrives i'd like to meet up with you and we will consume considerable amounts of Av gas along with some AeroShell 100
This is all conditional on my current medications doing their job.... :mrgreen:

Regards;
Dave

Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Gannet167 »

Probably posted before, but it's funny "and all this other horsesh&t" :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxhSmeAqD0g&feature=fvsr

Not sure if a Beaver could do all this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VKjPf1SjpI

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Those are great videos. The second one lead to some with the AN-225. I remember seeing it in Namao years ago.

GGCC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GGCC »

1st. vid You certainly know when a switch is flipped on.....

2nd. vid Great stuff..... nice piloting.....
imagine they sell in Latvia for around 14,000 euros, thats about $18,500 CDN, man those Ants are going cheap.... sure ya gotta get it here, etc.....

If you just want fun leave it in Latvia (a country known for lovely women) and fly to it....

Thanks guys for your interest in whats become an obsession, wanna come along for the ride?

Just a couple of small items of business to clear up here....LOL

Regards;
Dave

Gogona
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Gogona »

GGCC wrote:I'll tell you what, i hope to be in a position here soon to buy an Antonov AN-2 and i can assure you fuel consumption will not be an issue
Hi Dave. I hope you could buy it one day and will be appreciated, if you will let me know about that. I'm just trying watch these planes - who, where and what for :)

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

I'd like to buy the one in the weeds in Nova Scotia and C-reg
it, if Transport didn't fight it too much and make it impossible.
I know they hate that particular airframe with a passion.

Probably needs new fabric by now, though, sitting outside.

And of course you can't carry more than 4 people in it, which
is simply ridiculous when you consider what it was designed to do.

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

Unless they're REALLY fat dudes.
Useful load: 2,140 kg (4,700 lb)
:shock:

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... tonov_An-2

GGCC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GGCC »

Colonel Sanders wrote:I'd like to buy the one in the weeds in Nova Scotia and C-reg
it, if Transport didn't fight it too much and make it impossible.
I know they hate that particular airframe with a passion.

Probably needs new fabric by now, though, sitting outside.

And of course you can't carry more than 4 people in it, which
is simply ridiculous when you consider what it was designed to do.
Good to see i'm not the only one fascinated by this aircraft.....I'm not so sure why it's on TC's shitlist but i did read somewhere that certain US aircraft manufacturers were behind the FAA restrictions regarding the 300 mile operating radius, only from it's home base and it has to take off and land at it's home base only....and cannot be used for hauling skydivers, limiting it to basically sight seeing for the owner.

Now that above is the situation in the US, we have two flying here in Canada, I'd love to hear from those pilot/owners as to the Canadian limitations....

Someone mentioned a large fleet of AN-2's would give stiff competition to a certain well know single engine hauler widely used in Alaska.....I think there are a couple of capital C's in the name :D

Thanks for the input Lads......

Regards;
Dave

GGCC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GGCC »

Gogona wrote:
GGCC wrote:I'll tell you what, i hope to be in a position here soon to buy an Antonov AN-2 and i can assure you fuel consumption will not be an issue
Hi Dave. I hope you could buy it one day and will be appreciated, if you will let me know about that. I'm just trying watch these planes - who, where and what for :)
Stand Bye One :mrgreen:

Return to “General Comments”