Antonov AN-2

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Antonov AN-2

Post by cgzro »

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/ ... Annie.aspx

What one of the Canadian AN-2s has been up to.
---------- ADS -----------

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Just a note of curiosity, if you do a google maps satellite pic over CYKZ you can see FAKA on the apron in the third row.... Funny view. I'll give you 3 chances to find it and the first two don't count.

GGCC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GGCC »

cgzro wrote:http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/ ... Annie.aspx

What one of the Canadian AN-2s has been up to.
Thanks for that link to the story "cgzro" the mission had been referred to earlier in this thread but you have "fleshed" it out....Dave "GGCC"

GGCC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GGCC »

DanWEC wrote:Just a note of curiosity, if you do a google maps satellite pic over CYKZ you can see FAKA on the apron in the third row.... Funny view. I'll give you 3 chances to find it and the first two don't count.
Ha! ha! Dan i like your sense of humor, pretty easy to spot C-FAKA amongst the "puddle jumpers" :mrgreen:

Regards;
Dave

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Where'd you go GGCC? One of these found it's way to a fly in near Olds Alberta recently.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Lee Barker had C-GFBR at Gatineau again last weekend:

It's too bad TC hates them so much. Incredible aircraft.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

Yes cool plane. Lee was kind enough to let me fly it a bit. We took the jumpers up both days. Very strange flying probably one of the smallest biplanes in the world (S1) then to the largest biplane in the world the AN2. The windows are all faceted which is rather reminiscent of WWII bombers and of course she is quite heavy to fly. Interior even has crushed velvet vodka cabinet and shot glasses ;)

One thing, you sure have to be in good shape to climb all over that beast. The oil and fuel are both 10 feet off the ground so there is lots of scampering around on the top hoping not to fall off. I've helped once or twice in the winter too and holy cow getting up there when its covered in snow and ice with a broom is not for the faint of heart.

Mean prop blast too. I've once or twice tried to get in it when the engine is running .. yikes its like a hurricane back there.

Good fun and thanks for Lee for bringing her up from Oshawa for our air show.

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

Old Dog Flying wrote:When my friend had SP-BFR based at ZBB, it was flown on a Polish PPL, under Polish registration, by a Yank living in Canada and I believe all he had to do was pay the taxes. He bought the aircraft in Poland and paid a Polish pilot to ferry it to ZBB.

It was a big pig to fly..but different.
That was Jerry J. that owned that Beastie wasn't it? Had a LET and the Seafire there at one point too iirc...

I remember fuelling the thirsty bird and replaced a couple of the runway lights they would plow over on occasion. lol

I'm also interested in having a look at the AN-2 here in NS... whereabouts?

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

For your information the AN-2 engine and prop are already certified in Canada. It's the same engine that is found on the PZL 1000 HP Otters and the M-18 Dromadair.

http://www.airtechcanada.com/otter.html

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

all_ramped_up wrote:
Old Dog Flying wrote:When my friend had SP-BFR based at ZBB, it was flown on a Polish PPL, under Polish registration, by a Yank living in Canada and I believe all he had to do was pay the taxes. He bought the aircraft in Poland and paid a Polish pilot to ferry it to ZBB.

It was a big pig to fly..but different.
That was Jerry J. that owned that Beastie wasn't it? Had a LET and the Seafire there at one point too iirc...

I remember fuelling the thirsty bird and replaced a couple of the runway lights they would plow over on occasion. lol

I'm also interested in having a look at the AN-2 here in NS... whereabouts?
Jerry always seemed to have a collection of oddities.. the LET was one of them. I know he was involved with the AN-2.. sure was interesting watching it get reskinned slowly at ZBB. He also had that Beech 18 too didnt he? And a tracker at some point?

It was Don C that had the hawker seafury and the nanchang. Also a neat guy, took me for a ride once in the nanchang!

Couple of T28's on the field too.. A couple of nice ones and a couple of derelicts. One of the nice ones was owned by a friend of my fathers..

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

Ahhh back in the day when the warbirds graced the skys in the lower mainland and Island. To set the record straight both Jerry J and Don C had Seafurys. Jerrys was the two seater with the Wright 3350 ( Cotton Mouth II) and Don C had the Bristol Centaurus powered ex Iraqi Single seater (Simply Magnificent). Jerry owned many a Warbird over the years Mustang, Beech 18, A-26 Invader, B-25 ( I think) Grumman Trader (cod), Grumman Albatross, Cessna O2, and more I am sure I have forgotten.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Sad to see a lot of those great machines disappear from the GVRD, most of them have gone south to deeper pockets havent they?

I know there used to be a P51 over in the cunningham hangers that went south to santa barbara. Does Mike L still have his harvard and T28 on the field? Whats all left out there? I'm sure with alpha running the show and rates skyrocketed.. many have fled for pitt/lang/abby

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

Jerry still has the LET, C-45, a CJ6, and a TC guy has a L-29 as does the gUy that runs ZBB. There are still a couple of Harvards, a Stearman and probably others but I'm not currently involved.

Both Jerry and Don had A-26 Invaders at one time and it was a great time to be controlling at ZBB

GGCC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re:

Post by GGCC »

Beefitarian wrote:Where'd you go GGCC? One of these found it's way to a fly in near Olds Alberta recently.
I'm still down in the Maritimes "dreamin".... Beef.....

Thanks to those who have posted recent photos and AN2 news....

A friend is going to send me some photos if the kite in Westville, NS you know, the infamous skydiving AN-2

I'll post them when they arrive....

Glad to see i'm not the only dreamer when it comes to the AN2 and other memorable aircraft :D

SBourdon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SBourdon »

It's on the move.

Attachments
318761_10151094977291174_1765262896_n.jpg
318761_10151094977291174_1765262896_n.jpg (72.47 KiB) Viewed 2539 times
534102_10151094972771174_45620233_n.jpg
534102_10151094972771174_45620233_n.jpg (105.57 KiB) Viewed 2539 times
GRK
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK »

I have a great photo of a number of these beauties but the site wont allow me to post as apparently the size is too big...any ideas on how to get around this? Thanks, much appreciated!
GRL
K

1000 HP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 1000 HP »

If you have Micosoft Paint, just open your photo with that. Then hit resize and pick the pixel option. I find 800 pixels across always uploads nicely. Don't forget to save the new size with a different name or you lose your original. :rolleyes:

GRK
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK »

Thanks 1000HP...and here they are for your viewing pleasure! I'm pretty sure these are AN-2's...any one care to take a stab as to where?
Cheers, GRK
IL76 011.JPG
IL76 011.JPG (107.33 KiB) Viewed 2490 times

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bizjets101 »

Photo above, An-2 has a Kazakhstan Registration!!

CYOO Oshawa Airport

GRK
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK »

Da! But it's a huge country...anybody have a guess where in K-stan?

Return to “General Comments”