Flying while suspended for Impaired

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Flying while suspended for Impaired

Post by rookiepilot »

Duplicate
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by rookiepilot on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

A321 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:17 am I guess hypothetically there is nothing to stop someone from pursuing a pilot licence in Canada and fly commercially once you've been granted an early parole from your DUI prison time, but your driver's license is still suspended for 7 years.

Just read a fascinating article about the son of a high profile Canadian politician who has been able to turn his life around by becoming a commercial pilot after a DUI, which caused the death of his friend and resulting 7 year suspension of his drivers license. Turns out you can become a Dash 8 pilot in Canada flying 30-50 passengers around while at the same time not be able to drive yourself to work!? Not even COVID can keep this now A321 and A330 rated Airline pilot on the ground after a pandemic furlough, as it appears he was able to land A corporate gig on a newer Bombardier jet. I guess HR flight ops don't check driving records of prospective pilots in Canada as there would be no correlation with how one drives a vehicle and how one flies an aircraft.

The article I read must be Fake News.....
Unless you can actually link the article, it's most definitely fake news.

Every single company i have ever worked for has always asked for a driver's license. Mostly so you can drive company vehicles but also for security checks. I doubt that a corporate operator wouldn't ask for one, how are you supposed to chauffer the rental around?

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

A321 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:17 am I guess hypothetically there is nothing to stop someone from pursuing a pilot licence in Canada and fly commercially once you've been granted an early parole from your DUI prison time, but your driver's license is still suspended for 7 years.

Just read a fascinating article about the son of a high profile Canadian politician who has been able to turn his life around by becoming a commercial pilot after a DUI, which caused the death of his friend and resulting 7 year suspension of his drivers license. Turns out you can become a Dash 8 pilot in Canada flying 30-50 passengers around while at the same time not be able to drive yourself to work!? Not even COVID can keep this now A321 and A330 rated Airline pilot on the ground after a pandemic furlough, as it appears he was able to land A corporate gig on a newer Bombardier jet. I guess HR flight ops don't check driving records of prospective pilots in Canada as there would be no correlation with how one drives a vehicle and how one flies an aircraft.

The article I read must be Fake News.....
If you are going to lob accusations of what you see as privileged, you should post a link to the article for all to see. Then people can make a more informed opinion?!

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Someone able to turn their life around? How horrible. That shouldn't be an option.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about regarding this story or the character of the person, and it borders on slander.

I find people who only speak to try to bring others down pathetic.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

DanWEC wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:16 am Someone able to turn their life around? How horrible. That shouldn't be an option.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about regarding this story or the character of the person, and it borders on slander.

I find people who only speak to try to bring others down pathetic.
Assuming this is a real story -- and even hypothetical?

Why should someone have the privilege of having 50 lives in their hands after driving drunk and killing someone? Ever?

I don't want to be on their airplane. I don't want my family on their airplane.

Collect garbage for awhile. Turn ones life around that way, and leave flying to those who can control their behavior.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I'm not minimizing it, but you've never made a mistake as a kid? That's all he was when this happened. It wasn't a random car accident out on the street, there's more to the story than that. The event was an absolute personal tragedy for which he certainly paid a heavy price.

Regardless, if the poster knew the person he'd know that his subsequent career success is entirely his own doing. He can fly my family for the rest of their lives without hesitation.

Anyways, this all sounds fishy, a poster revives a 10 year old thread, with a 15 year old event including some uneccessary current details. He might know him and is bitter. Pathetic.

Last edited by DanWEC on Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:27 am Should be a public registry.
Like being a sex offender.
You're done.
Might be time to dig up some of that compassion for which you're so famous.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:15 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:27 am Should be a public registry.
You're done.
Might be time to dig up some of that compassion for which you're so famous.
Photofly. You would hire a convicted drunk driver as an instructor at YTZ? You'd load your kids in the plane with this person and wave bye bye?

If not ------- anyway.

Thanks for your opinion. My compassion is based on my principles, not yours, but you're just trolling for a response. I get it.

There have been a NUMBER of ugly repeat drunk driving offenders in Canada. Key word "repeat". One recent repeat offender in our fair town, which only stopped when a whole family was wiped out. Hey, now we can get legally stoned too, and drive. or attempt to.

It's a willful act. That bus driver who wiped out the hockey team -- look what happened to him. Not drunk, stoned, or texting, and he got the book thrown at him. Drunk drivers who've done it repeatedly and willfully, have gotten a lot less, even after killing people.

Yeah. I don't want the movie Flight, on my next flight, thanks.

No offense.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Compassion towards those whose tragedy is caused by random events is cheap. It takes hard work to be compassionate towards those who cause tragedy.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

photofly wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:03 pm It takes hard work to be compassionate towards those who cause tragedy.
Don't mistake sound risk assessment for a lack of compassion. Barring someone from a position of trust after they have committed a major breach of trust is simple risk assessment; cold hard logic. Letting them out of jail to start over, that is compassion.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

tsgarp wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:22 pm
photofly wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:03 pm It takes hard work to be compassionate towards those who cause tragedy.
Don't mistake sound risk assessment for a lack of compassion. Barring someone from a position of trust after they have committed a major breach of trust is simple risk assessment; cold hard logic. Letting them out of jail to start over, that is compassion.
Barring someone from ever again holding a position of trust based on a youthful mistake decades ago (if one ascribes to rookie's point of view) is not a logical risk assessment in my view. It is an emotional risk assessment, based on evidence that may no longer be relevant.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

This.

Compassion, and wisdom, are 2 totally different principles.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:25 pm Don't mistake sound risk assessment for a lack of compassion. Barring someone from a position of trust after they have committed a major breach of trust is simple risk assessment; cold hard logic. Letting them out of jail to start over, that is compassion.
Barring someone is not logic at all. It's a value judgement with which one may or may not agree. Lots of people are readmitted to positions of trust, and I didn't say compassion automatically means letting him fly an airplane, but this:
Should be a public registry.
You're done.
displays a lack of compassion.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:50 pm
RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:25 pm Don't mistake sound risk assessment for a lack of compassion. Barring someone from a position of trust after they have committed a major breach of trust is simple risk assessment; cold hard logic. Letting them out of jail to start over, that is compassion.
Barring someone is not logic at all. It's a value judgement with which one may or may not agree. Lots of people are readmitted to positions of trust, and I didn't say compassion automatically means letting him fly an airplane, but this:
You're done.
Why?

BTW --
We are talking specifically about an example of someone under current driving suspension for impaired driving, who resulted in another persons death.

Red Baron is alluding to something decades ago. Where did that come in?

I'm in a position of trust with my volunteer work. I've undergone police checks a couple of times, as has my wife.

But a convicted drunk driver who's killed someone, under suspension, need not disclose that fact when applying for a position of trust with many lives under their care?

So you'd hire this person, and load up your kids in their airplane.

Got it. I would not do either, hypothetically speaking.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Primarily because it denies the possibility of rehabilitation.
But a convicted drunk driver who's killed someone, need not disclose that fact when applying for a position of trust with many lives under their care?
So you'd hire this person, and load up your kids in their car / airplane.
Got it. I would not do either.
I'm happy for you to invent things you'd like me to have said, so you can rail against them. But that's all you're doing.
rookiepilot wrote: We are talking specifically about an example of someone under current driving suspension for impaired driving, who resulted in another persons death.
You might be now, but you weren't when you said
You're done.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:09 pm Primarily because it denies the possibility of rehabilitation.
Ok. Why not. So Again --- why?

Should we disband the sex offender registry, too?

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

What's with the zombie thread?

You guys made me sad when I ended up reading shitdisturber's post.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:41 pm
photofly wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:09 pm Primarily because it denies the possibility of rehabilitation.
Ok. Why not. So Again --- why?
Are you asking why does it deny the possibility of rehabilitation? Or why does denying the possibility of rehabilitation display a lack of compassion?
Should we disband the sex offender registry, too?
What do you mean by “too”? In addition to what?

I think you’re again inventing things you’d like me to have said so you can argue with them.

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

I remember that tragedy, it happened in a parking lot in YOW during a night out on the town. Very irresponsible of him, but he has had to live with those fatal decisions ever since and even though he comes from a well to do family, I believe he paid the price, and showed remorse.
Everyone deserves a 2nd chance!

Keep the dirty side down.
RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:05 pm
photofly wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:50 pm
You're done.
Rookie and photofly, you have misquoted me, likely inadvertently as the result of mis-editing a rather long quote chain. tsgarp wrote that.

What I actually said was:
RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:25 pm
Barring someone from ever again holding a position of trust based on a youthful mistake decades ago (if one ascribes to rookie's point of view) is not a logical risk assessment in my view. It is an emotional risk assessment, based on evidence that may no longer be relevant.
Now that that's hopefully cleared up, allow me to respond.
rookiepilot wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:05 pm Why?

BTW --
We are talking specifically about an example of someone under current driving suspension for impaired driving, who resulted in another persons death.

Red Baron is alluding to something decades ago. Where did that come in?

I'm in a position of trust with my volunteer work. I've undergone police checks a couple of times, as has my wife.

But a convicted drunk driver who's killed someone, under suspension, need not disclose that fact when applying for a position of trust with many lives under their care?

So you'd hire this person, and load up your kids in their airplane.

Got it. I would not do either, hypothetically speaking.
I was alluding to something decades ago as a response to your support for lifetime bans as a penalty for a first offense. A currently suspended driver, I agree with you. If you're legally prohibited from driving you should also be legally prohibited from piloting an aircraft, in my opinion.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.

Return to “General Comments”