TAX WRITE OFF's?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

YEAH-RIGHT
Rank 0
Rank 0

TAX WRITE OFF's?

Post by YEAH-RIGHT »

Hey guys,

Looking to write off the following this year;

- Lightspeed Headset
- Aerocourse ATPL seminar and Transport Canada atpl exam fees
- Cell phone use

Anyone done this before?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

gustind
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: TAX WRITE OFF's?

Post by gustind »

I've heard you can do all three.

I have also heard that the headset cannot just be written off in one year. Apparently since you bought it for over a certain price (let's call it 500 for simplicity), it is considered a long term expense and can be written off over the course of 2 or 3 years. Apparently what you would do is claim 30% of the cost one year, 40 % the next and the remainder the third year. The general principle/idea applies and all my numbers are used to better understand the concept.

I bought quite the headset as well in 2011 and have yet to figure out how to write it off; so looking forward to the responses.

mmartin1872
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mmartin1872 »

just get ur employer to sign a "declaration of conditions of employment". (a t2200 on the revenue agencies site) it doesnt cost ur employer anythying and can let u write off lots of stuff (depending on how ur employer fills it out). anything from "use of home, cell phone, meals for being away from base more than 12 hrs, use of ur car, etc)

but for the mechanics out there i suggest u start a business rather than using this form for your tools. do some work on ur buddies car, charge them money, buy any tools u want and write them all off, not having to use that stupid 'tool calculation'

ratattatmaster21
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ratattatmaster21 »

"Cell phone use" ??? I don't think you'll get a tax break for using a personal cellphone...MAYBE if its for work only but ive found that most guys just use their phone to send pictures of rats and stuff...goodluck justifying a rebate. Yeaaaaaright.

Return to “General Comments”