Medical Question

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

cockpit_cowboy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Medical Question

Post by cockpit_cowboy »

Can having a hernia affect your ablility to retain your medical while still flying?. Couldn't seem to find the answer anywhere. Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

Call your Medical Examinar....

I'm guessing no....

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

What CYYZ said. I'm guessing no as well, I think I knew someone that was okayed by his CAME when he had a hernia. Sorry to hear about it...

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Pain? Drugs? Fatigue? Can you get into the seat? Can you get out again or do you have to be fed there? Call yer med.

My understanding is that the only cure is surgery, they don't heal themselves, so you might as well have it fixed. One of the guys at work had one fixed and they left a glove or some car keys or a pager in him and it took 6 months before I could make him laugh!

Oh, and have it done in the US - hospital infections in this great country of ours are killing more people than heart disease (and about a thousand times more people than guns EVER did in this country, but you can bet your *ss they won't ever spend a billion dollars on soap!)

Can't think of any other cheery news - good luck! :shock:

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
Wild Cat
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Wild Cat »

I'm not sure if you can still fly, but I do know that my medical doctor did check if I ever had a Hernia.

Your One Darn Good Pilot
Fatass
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Fatass »

If it is big enough to require surgery, you will be looking at about a month of down time. Just plan your visit to the doctor in the slow season.

fingersmac
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fingersmac »

Fatass wrote:If it is big enough to require surgery, you will be looking at about a month of down time. Just plan your visit to the doctor in the slow season.

ALL hernias require an operation.. big or small. it is usually a day operation. most people can return to work a few days provided you're not doing anything that requires heavy lifting or strenous activity.

i would seriously doubt a hernia would comprimise your medical certificate. your doctor may require you not to fly for short period of time after the surgery. hernia's are very common amongst men regardless of age and are easily repaired. like any medical condition it is best to treat it early.

best thing to do is to check with your medical examiner.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I was in the hospital in the morning and out in the early afternoon...

Took 2 weeks off, probably could have been back even sooner...

Fatass
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Fatass »

fingersmac wrote:
Fatass wrote:If it is big enough to require surgery, you will be looking at about a month of down time. Just plan your visit to the doctor in the slow season.

ALL hernias require an operation.. big or small. it is usually a day operation. most people can return to work a few days provided you're not doing anything that requires heavy lifting or strenous activity.

i would seriously doubt a hernia would comprimise your medical certificate. your doctor may require you not to fly for short period of time after the surgery. hernia's are very common amongst men regardless of age and are easily repaired. like any medical condition it is best to treat it early.

best thing to do is to check with your medical examiner.

Just forwarding what my medical examiner told me.

Return to “General Comments”