Military pilot application window?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Military pilot application window?

Post by AuxBatOn »

luzzbightyear wrote:But paid training, paid tuition, and basic salary is too good to shy away from.
Just make sure you do the military route for the right reasons. Don't try being a pilot in the military because of the paid training, salary, etc. Yes it is nice, but it comes to a price.

Ask yourself: Would you be comfortable, once qualified, to be sent into a combat zone and being shot at and/or killing people. If you say no, I would encourage you to go another path. Even if you are not at the pointy end dropping the bombs, you are supporting the organization.

I have met, over the years, student pilots that wanted to use the military as a stepping stone for the civilian life or wanted to fly in the military but not deploy anywhere. Almost all those that kept that attitude failed, at some point or another.
---------- ADS -----------

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

AuxBatOn wrote:
luzzbightyear wrote:But paid training, paid tuition, and basic salary is too good to shy away from.
Just make sure you do the military route for the right reasons. Don't try being a pilot in the military because of the paid training, salary, etc. Yes it is nice, but it comes to a price.

Ask yourself: Would you be comfortable, once qualified, to be sent into a combat zone and being shot at and/or killing people. If you say no, I would encourage you to go another path. Even if you are not at the pointy end dropping the bombs, you are supporting the organization.

I have met, over the years, student pilots that wanted to use the military as a stepping stone for the civilian life or wanted to fly in the military but not deploy anywhere. Almost all those that kept that attitude failed, at some point or another.
+ 1

Also you are an officer who happens to fly aircraft not a pilot who happens to be an officer. There will be a lot of secondary duties and ground work you will have to do even if you are in a line squadron billet and the majority of CF pilots will fly less then 300 hours a year. It is still a great job and you will get world class training, just make sure you understand and are willing to live with all of your responsibilities and duties as a Canadian Forces Officer.

Last edited by Big Pistons Forever on Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luzzbightyear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by luzzbightyear »

Great points I hadn't thought about,

cheers guys

careerpilot?
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by careerpilot? »

+1 to all the comments on being an Officer. I come from a culture where leadership is paramount when you have bars on your shoulder, and I can tell you that the perception (I emphasize perception - right or wrong...) of other organizations within the CF that don't have that ethos is unfortunately not all that stellar... It's incredibly important to remember you are a leader first, always.

Trampbike: Thanks for the luck! I'll definately keep you in the loop. Good luck in St Jean! FYI, backlog for PFT is very short right now. As of March, there were only 4 pers awaiting training - that will have gone up due to the DEO and OT boards sitting this spring, but I think they have started doing a better job of recruiting at a pace that is sustainable through the training system, so the backlog shouldn't significantly increase. In fact, the Training Officer at 2 CAD told me that Phase II Grob is being utilized much less now, as they've cleared most of the Phase II backlog.

From what I can tell, they've revamped the entire system to make it more efficient and produce higher quality pilots - all pluses for those of us starting our way through! Incidentally, my training has been bumped up to 5 September until 11 December, with Phase II slated for next June (aeromedical and survival to occur in between).

OfstieR
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by OfstieR »

Also, FYI there is another program open besides ROTP and DEO. Its called the Continuing Education Officer Training Plan (CEOTP). Typically in the past it only opened periodically depending on the fiscal year and the intake numbers for that year. It is currently OPEN and has been completely revamped this year. It is now a partnership between the RCAF and Seneca college. You go to Seneca college for periods of full time schooling paid for by the CF, and also complete your BMOQ, PFT and BFT and all the other required courses inbetween those periods of full time schooling. The flying courses you take, are considered credits and count towards your degree requirements at SECENCA, so the period of full time schooling is less than that of a typical ROTP applicant.

I applied for the CEOTP as an internal applicant (I'm a serving Army Reservist) and am headed to ASC on monday. Keep in mind though the application process takes time. So, even if your going into grade 12, I would apply as soon as possible as it takes a lot of time to process applications. Although my situation is different as I'm applying internally as a Component Transfer/Occupational transfer, I still applied 16 Months ago and my application is finally being processed now! So if your serious, I would apply sooner rather than later.

Also, as the other posters have pointed out, there is a HUGE wealth of knowledge on Army.ca regarding the entire process. I have been trolling there for years learning everything I can, and I will say the best information and most RELIABLE information I have found anywhere is on that site!

Regards,

Rob

old_man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by old_man »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:
AuxBatOn wrote:

+ 1

Also you are an officer who happens to fly aircraft not a pilot who happens to be an officer. There will be a lot of secondary duties and ground work you will have to do even if you are in a line squadron billet and the majority of CF pilots will fly less then 300 hours a year. It is still a great job and you will get world class training, just make sure you understand and are willing to live with all of your responsibilities and duties as a Canadian Forces Officer.
+1. Don't forget the consequences of failing as well. If you decide to go for that 'paid tuition' you owe the CF some service time regardless of how you do in pilot training. Last I checked 1 in 3 failed off of PFT in the first 10 flights (those numbers no doubt have changed). So if you don't make it as a pilot you would still have to fulfill your service in some other occupation at the CF's discretion.

luzzbightyear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by luzzbightyear »

another thing to think of, thanks old_man. Also like you flightman, I'd love to go rotary as much as fw so that's not a problem.

Last edited by luzzbightyear on Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

OfstieR the CEOTP is not just available to Seneca grads but also the grads of the Aviation Programs at Sault and Confederation College as well.

126.7_STFU
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 126.7_STFU »

CLguy wrote:OfstieR the CEOTP is not just available to Seneca grads but also the grads of the Aviation Programs at Sault and Confederation College as well.
It's been closed for years. Though I think they may be taking some this year.

The competition these days is immense.

luzzbightyear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by luzzbightyear »

hey sorry everyone, one more quick question. I noticed some people who have applied for pilot only put pilot on their three choices, no others. While some put 1. pilot, 2.mechanical engineer 3. xxxx. What is the strategy or advantage not putting other trades down in addition to pilot?

126.7_STFU
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 126.7_STFU »

To my knowledge, this is no longer acceptable. It's very topgun'ish

If you just want to be a pilot, you state pilot. Not Pilot Pilot Pilot. It seems to rub them the wrong way.

luzzbightyear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by luzzbightyear »

ok, so just
1.Pilot

126.7_STFU
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 126.7_STFU »

Correct

trampbike
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by trampbike »

Exactly. If you only would be happy with a pilot offer, don't put anything else. My application was:
1. Pilot
2. X
3. X

I also made it very clear during my interview that I would only accept a pilot offer, and if I was not given one, then I simply would reapply next year.

+1 To what AuxBatOn and BPF said. People taking the military route for the free education and training in order to finally get a nice civilian job are, in my opinion, not doing the right thing for them. What I see is that they happen to be the ones that find BMOQ hard and exasperating.

luzzbightyear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by luzzbightyear »

ok, thats what I plan on doing. I will be heading to a cfrc very soon to start the rotp process. And the paid tuition isn't my motive, but it is an incentive. Thanks for the advice everyone!

SpeedChecks
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SpeedChecks »

Curious question. How many years must an airforce pilot serve in the Canadian forces, while choosing to do ROTP?

TheCheez
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by TheCheez »

I believe it's 9 for ROTP(?), however for pilots you sign up for 7 years after you earn wings.

Dash-Ate
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dash-Ate »

With Cons cutting the military down to below levels seen in some 3rd World despot nations, what are the chances going to be like in the future?

Anyone want a Sea King endorsement? :roll:

That'll buff right out :rolleyes:
kev994
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by kev994 »

TheCheez wrote:I believe it's 9 for ROTP(?), however for pilots you sign up for 7 years after you earn wings.
5 for ROTP. You can do both the ROTP and wings service at the same time, they are not in addition to each other.

SpeedChecks
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SpeedChecks »

So 5 years of ROTP, then 7 years of obligatory service? A total of 12 years of service if my math is correct..?

Return to “General Comments”