Does a good headset matter?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Does a good headset matter?

Post by flyinthebug »

oleo wrote:If I had $1000 extra to spend, I'd definitely go with the new Bose headset. Tried a friend's out, and it was awesome. However, if that's not in your budget....I have a set of DC H20-10s and it's a great headset. The inherent noise cancelling associated with the design of the headset is very good (not nearly as good as the bose active noise cancelling, but definitely good enough to protect your hearing)....Only downfalls are obviously that you don't get bluetooth/aux plugin etc....But for 1/3 the price, it's a good quality headset.
+1... I have used my DC H10-20s(20-10s) for the past 18 years...bought them as a cpl student and loved em ever since. As mentioned, if you cant afford the newly designed Bose, then a set of DC (David Clark) 20-10 or 30-10s are great headsets for a fraction of the price of a set of Bose. Its also worth the small investment of getting gel seals for the ears...much more comfortable than that plastic garbage they come with. Im old school, but you cant beat a good set of David Clarks.
---------- ADS -----------

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Agreed, my old David Clark H10-13.4 are still so good I'm surprised to hear the active noise canceling units are not great.

If you're getting a plain passive head set I have not found anything I like as much as the David Clarks. Make sure you get the gel seals, they are luxurious, cut the noise better and go around sunglasses better.

bigEh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bigEh »

Thanks all for the replies. I have gone and bought a pair of David Clarks. Shipping as we speak. Ill have to look into the gel seals.
Appreciate the the help choosing.

skydivepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skydivepilot »

Gel seals already installed so you're all set. Boxed up and will take to the post office on Tuesday. Enjoy :)

Louis
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Louis »

Current make David Clarks all come with the gel seals iirc.

I've had a pair of 10-13Xs for 6 about years now and they've worked tirelessly all that time. I've had to send them once for repair, service was pretty quick. Otherwise I've only had to change the headpad because it got discolored due to the sun.

I knew back then that there were sets with better ANR out there, but for the combination of good passive and active those are hard to beat.

Hawkerflyer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hawkerflyer »

What?

Louis
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Louis »

AH! SO YOU FLEW AN (Islander / Garrett-powered airplane / 185 with a 2-blade prop* / etc...) TOO?

Oh yeah, if you can solder and get tired of changing those 9V batteries every 25 hours or so; I built myself a 6 AA-battery power pack with a holder from an electronics shop. Add a bit of foam to hold the 9V style connector, make a small hole for the wire in the side of the ANR battery compartment door, and use the headset's belt clip to keep it all in one place.

The end result lasts about three times as long, and you can still use the regular 9V.

*For the record: None of which I have flown, yet.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Easy tip, don't buy headsets that require 9V batteries.

bigEh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bigEh »

Hey everybody,
I received my headset, they were shipped immaculately and looked to be in great condition. But I am having a problem with excessive feedback while flying. Basically, any time I click to speak, my voice can barely be heard over the extremely loud feedback. My instructor had tried all he can on the radio, adjusting this level and that level. I've had to switch headsets mid-flight for three consecutive flights. I have spoken to the DC customer service, a couple local retailers and fellow pilots at the club. I cleaned the jacks as per DC customer service instructions, all to no avail. I want the headset to work so I am looking for tips or ideas on what could be wrong and solutions. They are past the warranty period unfortunately, but was told DC may be able to give me a extension/discount if sent back for repair.
So....if any of you experienced DC pilots out there have any helpful ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

Are the DC's ANR/ENC?

If so, have you tried turning the ANR off to see if that is causing the feedback?

bigEh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bigEh »

I guess I should have mentioned that they are H10-30s. Hopefully that can help you all help me.
Thanks again for any responses.

swervin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by swervin »

Does anyone in Canada offer trade in programs for the new Bose and Lightspeed headsets? How about financing?

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

Ruling out the aircraft end, the feedback is more than likely related to the mic on a passive only headset. Make sure the jacks are nice and clean. If they are the plugs that come apart by unscrewing -- open them up and check for broken wires/corrosion on the mic jack in particular. Obviously if you see a broken wire, it will just an easy solder job. You could also remove the mic and clean the contracts. Maybe a shot of contact cleaner too.

If that doesn't work, you could try a new mic for a tune of $50-$90 depending on where you buy it. If you are looking at spending close to $100 on a guess, you may be better off sending them in. Personally, If you have tried them in a different aircraft and tried cleaning contracts still with no avail, then I would send them in. If they are willing to repair them under warranty or even at a discount, then it's a no brainier. I've heard stories about free repairs well beyond the warranty, and they usualy end up replacing things like head pads, mic muffs etc. I would think the only expensive parts of the repair will be the shipping!

bigEh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bigEh »

Thanks Adam,
I am going to try the gain control on the mic some more and see how that works. I appreciate the help.

RenegadeAV8R
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RenegadeAV8R »

bigEh wrote:Hey everybody,
I received my headset, they were shipped immaculately and looked to be in great condition. But I am having a problem with excessive feedback while flying. Basically, any time I click to speak, my voice can barely be heard over the extremely loud feedback...
Thanks
bigEh wrote:I guess I should have mentioned that they are H10-30s
I own a H10-30 too. The microphone on the H10-30 is a dynamic type microphone and one of its characteristics is that it picks up all the ambient noise in the aicrcraft. "Modern" electret microphone simply block the noise. It is possible that the extremely loud feedback noise that you are hearing could be the ambient noise in the cabine.

On my H10-30, I replaced the original H10-30 microphone with the following amplified electret microphone.

http://store.acousticom.com/amplified-e ... -kit-m-7dc

It is easy to install; one screw hold the microphone, and there are two small screws to attach the cable to the microphone.

Let us know how you fixed your problem.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

swervin wrote:Does anyone in Canada offer trade in programs for the new Bose and Lightspeed headsets? How about financing?
Not sure, but your question almost reads like you know of Lightspeed's trade in program. If you don't know about it, they do offer a trade in plan for any type of used headset, but it has to be directly through them. They don't allow their dealers to offer it. Check their website for details.

And I would highly recommend their Zulu ANR - very comfortable, good battery life and great clarity.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

FYI - If anyone is still looking, today's "Deal of the Day" from Aircraft Spruce Canada is a Lightspeed Zulu for $572. Almost half what I paid for mine two (or maybe three?) years ago. It's the only headset i'll wear in place of my David Clark 10-13.4.

http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/dealoftheday.html

Note that the first-generation Zulu's apparently do not fit women well. I've seen this reported in many places, and my wife confirms that it doesn't fit her well. The Zulu 2 apparently fixes this. Also, Lightspeed will send out a free replacement pad for the headband that apparently makes it better somehow too. I think the issue is that it sits too low on people with smaller heads or higher ears.

I guess my larger head is just fine. :P

StudentPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by StudentPilot »

Does the Zulu have decent passive noise reduction or is it active noise reduction only like the Bose?

Has anyone used a Sennheiser S-1? If so, how does it compare to a Bose X, Zulu, or Telex 50D?

JoeCanuck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JoeCanuck »

There's also this option...probably the best deal for ANR headsets if you already own a passive set;

http://www.headsetsinc.com/ANR_kits.html

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

@StudentPilot: Lightspeed is an Active-only headset, by design. In practice, I have found it to be an acceptable Passive headset if the batteries die, but it's not as good as the DC which was designed to be a passive set. I carry a spare set of batteries for the LS with me, ready to swap in as needed. I haven't tried a Bose, so I don't know how good or bad they are without power.

I saw that the LS headset was gone within an hour of me posting it here. Yesterday's deal was for a Bose at about the same price. It was still there at the end of the day.

Return to “General Comments”