Would you leave your current job for AC?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Would you leave your Current Job to go to Air Canada?

Yes
22%
No
78%

Total votes: 218

ilovelamp
Rank 2
Rank 2

Would you leave your current job for AC?

Post by ilovelamp »

With all the ramblings and speculation of CCAA going on at Air Canada, I was just curious how many people would leave there current jobs to go there?
---------- ADS -----------

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Would you leave your current job for AC?

Post by mcrit »

I would have voted but I couldn't find the appropriate box; "Hells No!".

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Nope, not my kind of flying

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

A more appropriate question would be; Of those of you who have dreamed of flying for Air Canada since you learned to walk, would you still leave your current employer for a career at AC given the current turmoil?

\

bstock
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bstock »

co-joe wrote:A more appropriate question would be; Of those of you who have dreamed of flying for Air Canada since you learned to walk, would you still leave your current employer for a career at AC given the current turmoil?

\
I fall into this category. As a previous poster put it so simply, "Hell, no."

Kokanee
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Kokanee »

Hells NO, but I've heard AC is a good stepping stone into Westjet.

hawker driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by hawker driver »

It would be interesting to see the same question with West Jet in the question.

Where you have a choice AC WJ or neither.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Nope. My days of Kraft Dinner are over.

If I had the hours and the desire to fly the line, I'd go straight to Qatar or EK.

RogerCheckCopy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RogerCheckCopy »

No, and although it was a really tough decision at the time I am glad I turned down the interview invitation a few years ago. If I had passed the screening and had been offered a job I would have been in the last GS or two of the last hiring spree. I am pretty sure some of my friends that got on around then still can only hold reserve and is stuck in pay grouping (think that is what it is called).

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

I'm in the same boat as RogerCheckCopy, turned down the interview almost 5 years ago. Decided the infighting was too much and the lifestyle differences at Jazz were better for me. Now more than ever, am I glad I didn't accept the interview, assuming I was selected, I'd be far more worried about my situation at AC than at Jazz.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

About 8 years ago I was waiting for a response from 3 different companies. My rule of thumb was simple-- whoever calls me first, that will be where I go.

Air Canada called me up 2 months after I started my new hire class at my present employer, and my third option tried to dangle a carrot in front of me a few months later after they learned that I was flying the same type they were. I declined both.

About a couple years ago, a friend who was hired at Air Canada around the same time I might have was worried on whether he'd get laid off while I was busy worrying whether I would make the upgrade to the left seat. Meanwhile a few of my friends got tossed out of the third option, while everybody else I know was miserable and trying to get jobs in the Middle East.

As for now, going to Air Canada and "starting over" isn't an option, unless they start hiring DECs :twisted:

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Not at this point in my life!

Last edited by Rowdy on Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

I am at AC. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Like Kokanee said, it's a great stepping stone to Westjet... or the mid-east or China or...

Our new hires have been getting younger and younger and their experience levels are not what they have been for the past 10-15 years. The reason? Less talent in the resume pool. The word is out. Air Canada is not the premier gig anymore.

In recent months I have seen a departure from AC's commitment to safety. The corporation is covering their culpability and there has been suggestions of corruption with their relation to TC and the federal government. If this continues unabated, bad things will happen.

Truly sad to watch from my front row seat.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

daedalusx wrote:Nope. My days of Kraft Dinner are over.

If I had the hours and the desire to fly the line, I'd go straight to Qatar or EK.
+1

I personally never thought there to be a "stepping stone" between WestJet and Air Canada. I thought guys either cherished to work for AC or WJA as an ultimate career in Canada. I guess I was wrong.

I'm personally pro-WestJet and there are other ways to get there without going through A/C's mess.

jet a1
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jet a1 »

I'm chasing a lifestyle.... I don't care who signs the cheques. I know 3 people who have moved to the airlines this year and all of them knew they made a mistake very early on.

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

Nope. Not my kind of flying. Even back when they had DEC's I hadn't considered it.
I wore a tie last week for a few hours. My previous wearing of a tie was when I got married. No thanks.

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

I was actually supposed to be in the latest class. But I had a change of heart and decided to stay where I am.

Like most pilots who got into aviation, AC was my #1 choice. I started with my current company last January and really enjoyed where I was. I put AC on the backburner because I was happy. My company went through (and still is) going through a difficult time, so I admittedly panicked and re-applied to AC. I went through the process and accepted the job initially because in my mind AC was always "the place to be".

I tried to ignore the negativity here on Avcanada and the advice I was getting from my friends and family because I didn't want to accept the fact that I'd be giving up my "dreamjob." But eventually I hit a breaking point I guess. I couldn't really reconcile the fact that I would be giving up a job that I love where I have decent seniority for one where I don't even know what the contract will be. On paper it didn't make sense, but in my mind I was doing everything possible to justify it.

I still have a great deal of respect for AC and its pilots. But there's just too much going on right now. I realize that I could be making a huge mistake here, but I'll have to live with the consequences of my decision. If things dont work out, I can at least say that I made the best decision I could at the time, given the information that was presented to me.
I make good money, I fly a widebody to awesome destinations, and at the end of the day, Im happy. So before I give that up, I just need to know what Im getting into.

Kilkenny
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kilkenny »

For those who had goals to go to AC at some point in their careers, this would be a difficult question. So much uncertainty in the future for working conditions and where the company or pilot group is headed. If you have a good gig that you can afford to stay in for the next while, I'd suggest seriously considering staying put until the dust settles (assuming attrition is still consistent).

jet a1
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jet a1 »

i should also ad that i know two other guys who are recent hires and they are quite happy at AC. I think what we're seeing these days with regards to the airline jobs in canada and around the world for that matter is the availability of information. with the explosion of the internet, social media and websites like this, we're being shown behind the scenes.... and it's not nice. in the past guys would work hard to get "the dream job" climb this ladder, move over to that one, climb that one, get to AC (or any airline) and BANG!!!!!!!!!...."crap this isn't what i thought it would be". now a days, as each new hire class gets hired i'd say the illusion of "the dream job" is getting smaller and smaller.... and i dare say this might actually help things. if you go in knowing what's in store, the chances of you being happy are much greater than if you are holding on to an image that isn't or never was true.
if an airline called me right now, i have no idea what i would do... like i said i'm a lifestyle guy... i do feel lucky in the fact that if i said yes or no at least i'd have all the information. this is a luxury that the guys and gals in generations past didn't have... might be a huge reason why there's so many angry, disappointed, SINGLE airline pilots.
having said all that, it's up to us to make up our own minds and no matter which way we all choose to go, we only have ourselves to blame.
good luck to all!
jet.

I WAS Birddog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by I WAS Birddog »

Air Canada called me last week. They wanted to know why I was the only pilot in Canada that has never ever...EVER applied there...Ever.

It's too easy a thing to bash a failing company. I won't be doing that here. However I do wish all those that work there the very best and hope things will turn around for the best.

Fact is I was never interested in AC. so to answer your question; No. I'd never leave my current employer to work for AC.

Return to “General Comments”