Vargas Island, British Columbia

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Vargas Island, British Columbia

Post by Panama Jack »

I have seen so many great photos over the years that I have been involved in aviation of single-engine aircraft sitting on the beach at Vargas Island that it is one of the things on my "bucket list."

Looking at the VNC though, I notice that the area is a Provincial Park (but not part of the the Pacific Rim National Park). Could somebody please let me know whether it is legal to land there anymore?
---------- ADS -----------

Tanker299
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Vargas Island, British Columbia

Post by Tanker299 »

Provence's, Municipalities etc cannot make regulations regarding the "Core" of aviation. Landing and take-off is in the core. Only the fed's can make regulations pertaining to aviation. There is a good read on the COPA website about a few supreme court cases where the province tried to make regulations and were told they are to immature.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Looks like a nice place on the google. Were they float planes that landed in the sound then pulled onto the beach? You would not land on the actual beach would you?

I think it would be more interesting to have a beach you could land on with wheels but there would need to be quite a bit of perpetration and maintainence to do that. No?

I have flown on wheels to Tofino. It's awesome, you can walk over to long beach and rent a surfboard.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJPDe2qEfqM

I have never been to Vargas beach but I have landed at Michaels River in Labrador. Pretty easy for Twin Otter.
p.s. Not my video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F1xpgbaYgQ

I_Heart_Seaplanes
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by I_Heart_Seaplanes »

Funny, the Vargas video is mine.

The last time I was there was before the park border changed. I have friends that have been there since with no problems. The only ones likely to give you a hassle are the first nation residents that live on the opposite side of the island. I hate to stereotype, but I have heard a case of beer is the going rate for landing/camping on the beach.

As for the actual landing on the beach, it is pretty easy. I always plan to be there at low tide for the widest and hardest landing area. I do a few "dab " and go's to test the firmness of the sand before I commit to a landing. As you can see in my video, the where the sand starts to get dark, but not yet wet, is the hardest and smoothest part. Watch out for kelp, its not a soft and squishy as you think. If you are camping, make sure to push your plane up past the high-tide line! The best place I have found to camp is the north end of the big beach.

Have fun and feel free to PM me with any more q's

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

There was a big fly-in there last month. 14 planes I think.

The Nanaimo Flying Club Truancy Squadron goes there often, and always have empty seats.

Aug
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aug »

Beefitarian wrote:Looks like a nice place on the google. Were they float planes that landed in the sound then pulled onto the beach? You would not land on the actual beach would you?

I think it would be more interesting to have a beach you could land on with wheels but there would need to be quite a bit of perpetration and maintainence to do that. No?

I have flown on wheels to Tofino. It's awesome, you can walk over to long beach and rent a surfboard.
One beach that you can certainly land on is Copalis, Washington... it is (to my knowledge), the only FAA certified beach airport. There are published procedures and everything.... hoping to fly there this weekend if weather holds!

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

av8ts wrote:
Well that answers most of my questions I_Heart_Seaplanes, outstanding. This could fit right into that dream flights thread now.

I_Heart_Seaplanes
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by I_Heart_Seaplanes »

Hi Beefitarian, I re-read your post an realized I forgot to answer the question about maintenance and prep. Basically I just talked to a few guys I know that land on sand bars. I did nothing to prep the plane. It was a standard 172, even left wheel pants on. The most labour intensive part was vacuuming out all the sand afterwards, and giving the plane a REALLY good rinse.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Ah, thanks for mentioning that too. I meant the beach surface. Once you wrote about the area where the sand is darkest but not wet it made much more sense to me.

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

CFS page C89, Flight restriction into National, Provincial and Municipal parks.

Ill summarize for you........

They are closed to all aircraft unless otherwise specified, PPR from the governing body is required.

Seaplanes on the surface of the water our governed under the shipping act.

Good stuff in that book....

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

The Mole wrote:CFS page C89, Flight restriction into National, Provincial and Municipal parks.

They are closed to all aircraft unless otherwise specified, PPR from the governing body is required.

Here's your PPR:

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explor ... vargas_is/

"Small planes can land on the beach of Ahous Bay"

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

The Mole wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:27 pm CFS page C89, Flight restriction into National, Provincial and Municipal parks.

Also, it looks like the CFS is out of date, at least for BC. Aircraft are now allowed to land in any BC provincial park unless it is listed as prohibited:

http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/ ... #section27

This law was changed in 2004 after successful lobbying by the BC Floatplane Association:

https://bivouac.com//DsxPg.asp?DsxId=2358

Return to “General Comments”