Passanger on a Ultra Light

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ah79ca
Rank 1
Rank 1

Passanger on a Ultra Light

Post by ah79ca »

Need some clarification on the regulation regarding Ultra Light Airplanes.
I have a PPL, am i allowed to carry a passanger who doensn't have a Pilot License? For example on a Beaver, Genesis or Challanger?

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

mikegtzg
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mikegtzg »

If the Ultralight is registered as an 'Advanced Ultralight' and has been maintained according to the 'statement of conformity' supplied by the manufacturer. Then you as a PPL may carry a passenger. If it is registered as a 'Basic Ultralight', you may only carry a passenger if the passenger has an Ultralight Pilot permit or higher licence.

Check out the UPAC website. http://www.upac.ca All of this info and more is there.

ah79ca
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ah79ca »

Are those regulations the same for people holding an Ultralight Pilot permit or a Recreational Pilot permit?
That planes qualify under the type rating "Advanced Ultra Light"
Thanks!

mikegtzg
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mikegtzg »

The same applies to a Pilot holding a Recreational Pilot Permit. But not the Ultralight Permit. (because an ultralight pilot permit doesn't allow passengers) But two Ultralight Pilot Permit holders may fly together. There is an exception that allows this. Look up this page.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/gener ... #Passenger

ah79ca
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ah79ca »

Thanks for the info.
One more question, i know one can get an "Ultralight Pilot License/Permit" is there such a think as an "Advanced Ultralight Pilot License/Permit"?
Thanks!

mikegtzg
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mikegtzg »

One more question, i know one can get an "Ultralight Pilot License/Permit" is there such a think as an "Advanced Ultralight Pilot License/Permit"?
No there is not. But soon there will be an Ultralight Pilot Permit with a passenger carrying endorsement. It appears to be very similar in privileges to a recreational pilot permit. But allows the training and flight test to be completed on an aircraft without a CofA. With the logic that if you are flying a 2 seat Challenger Advanced Ultralight with a Rotax engine with no plans to fly bigger aircraft. Why train for your Recreational Pilot Permit on a Cessna 172 and then legally turn you loose flying passengers in your Ultralight. Since the flight characteristics between the two are vastly different. Although if you could find someone to train you for a Recreational Pilot Permit on a J-3, now that would be a lot closer.

Return to “General Comments”