INRAT Questions?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

jp7500
Rank 1
Rank 1

INRAT Questions?

Post by jp7500 »

Anybody write the INRAT recently? Any questions would be greatly appreciated.
---------- ADS -----------

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: INRAT Questions?

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Having written the INRAT 3 times over the decades
(and passed each time) I think it's fair to say that the
answer to most of the answers to the questions on it
can be found in the CAP GEN and AIM RAC.

BverLuver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BverLuver »

JP7500,

Are you really that lazy of a person to want to memorize answers instead of actually learning the reasoning? Besides being an Offence against Transport Canada regulations, this is just complete absurdity. I, and I am sure many others here, hope we never have to fly with you as clearly you are only willing to do anything to "just get by". Don't want to study and learn the material, don't be a pilot, simple as that. Here's something you will really hate! Being a pilot, means studying and learning and testing for the rest of your life. If you take the easy way out now you will never be able to adjust as you progress in your career. Don't cheat yourself!

End Rant!

BL

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Oh please...there is a ton of information that could possibly be on the exam, he's just looking to narrow down what he should be studying. Save the righteous crap, and try and help the guy. Best way to get a good idea of what to expect on the INRAT is to either order just the AEROCourse book or take the weekend course if you could use a IFR theory refresher. They concentrate on what you need to know and will save you countless hours studying irrelevant stuff.

BverLuver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BverLuver »

tbaylx,

So you are one of these types also? Minimum work to get by is key? He's not looking to narrow down, he is looking for specific questions.

Self righteous? Look in the mirror my friend. I got through a very successful career and an after career by working and studying hard, not by cheating myself and others. My help, study the CAP GEN and know if front to back, study the Aerocourse and Weather command manual, know the information and nothing will surprise you on the exam. But, every flight school and TC publication will tell him this, so why does he need my help?

Irrelevant stuff? Well, I guess nothing further need be said except whats irrelevant to you may be very significant to someone else and/or Transport. So, why don't you get off your self righteous entitled attitude and encourage and rewad hard work rather copping out.

BL

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

BverLuver wrote:tbaylx,

So you are one of these types also? Minimum work to get by is key? He's not looking to narrow down, he is looking for specific questions.

Self righteous? Look in the mirror my friend. I got through a very successful career and an after career by working and studying hard, not by cheating myself and others. My help, study the CAP GEN and know if front to back, study the Aerocourse and Weather command manual, know the information and nothing will surprise you on the exam. But, every flight school and TC publication will tell him this, so why does he need my help?

Irrelevant stuff? Well, I guess nothing further need be said except whats irrelevant to you may be very significant to someone else and/or Transport. So, why don't you get off your self righteous entitled attitude and encourage and rewad hard work rather copping out.

BL
Yup, that's me just sliding by. Orrrr, perhaps i'd rather learn the relevant stuff instead of digging through the regs section by section, wasting hours of my time memorizing stuff that is completely useless in day to day operations. If you want to be one of those guys that can quote regs verbatim out of the AIM then be my guest. You still have to work hard and study, but you can also work smart, study and learn the correct stuff instead of trying to learn all of it, alot of which won't do you one bit of good in day to day operations or on your INRAT exam. Nobody is entitled to anything in this career, but you'd be well served to spend the time that you do have learning the stuff that you need to know and learn it well.

The guy came on here looking to see what types of questions he could expect on the INRAT and you called him lazy. Maybe you should take all the extra time you've spent studying regs and start putting it towards CRM.

BverLuver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BverLuver »

tbaylx,

His direct quote is:
He is looking for specific questions from the exam, not general direction or `types of questions`.

BL

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

BverLuver wrote:tbaylx,

His direct quote is:
He is looking for specific questions from the exam, not general direction or `types of questions`.

BL
BL, I guess i chose to give him the benefit of the doubt and interpret that as looking for what type of questions he could anticipate so he can narrow down his studying. Suppose you could look at it differently, though if that's the case then it wouldn't matter cause there is more than 1 exam and questions will all be different, so memorizing specific answers won't help you much.

jp7500
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jp7500 »

Thank you very much for the reponse to my post, i am just looking for key areas to study rather than specific questions as i am aware there is more than 1 INRAT exam. I passed the exam in 2007 using the Aerocourse workbook and the . textbooks so i have done way more than my share of studying this information. I am just trying to get back to flying and i'm just wondering if the exam has changed much in this time. I scored 80% the last time and feel i have not forgotten everything in that time, i didn't expect the lecture or rant but of course there are all kinds of people out there lol. Thanks to the members who understood my question and answered me with useful and helpful information.

Deltawidget
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Deltawidget »

Classic avcanada thread.

jp7500
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jp7500 »

Thank you tbaylx and colonel sanders, i am studying for the exam and i did not ask for specific questions, i asked for questions, meaning topics to expect to be there etc. I recently wrote the generic flight dispatch exams with just information i studied in the aerocourse workbook and . books and passed both but the outline they give you gives numbers from 1-5 next to each topic indicating the topics importance level, i notice they don't do this for the INRAT or other exams, any reason why that woul be? They're both TC exams, would make it easier to spend more time on more important areas.

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

:lol:

BverLuver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BverLuver »

jp7500,
jp7500 wrote:i did not ask for specific questions, i asked for questions, meaning topics to expect to be there etc.
Nice attempt to re-direct.
i notice they don't do this for the INRAT or other exams, any reason why that woul be? They're both TC exams, would make it easier to spend more time on more important areas.
Because they want you to study all the material as anything to do with IFR flying, whether relevant or not in the real world, is fair game on the exam and each question is equally weighted.

Let me ask you this, why should they attempt to "make it easier" for you? Honest question.

BL

jp7500
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jp7500 »

They should make it like the flight dispatch exams and put a proficiency level (1-5) next to each area to be studied. This would make it possible to spend more time on areas with information that is more relevant to your day to day operations and relevant to situations you're likely to encounter. Sorry you didn't understand my initial post:( Why would you think that specific questions would help that much when there are multiple exams? There is no way anybody is going to pass a T.C exam with that much information!!!! Of course i'm studying!!!! LOL

BverLuver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BverLuver »

Jp7500,

With respect that still sounds lazy! If I misunderstood your original post, I apologize, but I don't think I did. Use the search function for IATRA exam, and see if it's been done before. Entire exams are verbatim on this website. So can someone pass by getting the questions ahead of time, by all means yes!

Another legitimate question for you, how is TC to know which is more important in the day to day ops for you or me? I don't know what you fly, do you know what I fly? It's not a simple generic formula like perhaps a dispatch position which is going to face similar challenges in a 703, 704, or 705 job, in different scales of course.

BL

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

ummm .... ok.

Anyways, in the CAP GEN, know the following cold

- takeoff minima
- approach ban
- landing minima
- alternate minima
- cold temperature corrections

You might think you know the above, but I guarantee
you don't. You will get errors on the above on your
INRAT, so work on them.

Also:

- interpreting approach plates, including SIDs, STARs
and lost comm procedures

- being able to read a LO chart (hint - read the legend)

Also AIM RAC:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/p ... u-2606.htm

Obviously RAC sections 6, 7, 8, 9 10 thoroughly. Sections
4 and 11 not so much. You'd better be up on sections
1, 2, 3 and 4 though.

Also incredibly important is AIM COM:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/p ... u-2550.htm

Section 3.0 is incredibly important - VOR checks, ILS
serviceability, and of course 3.15 GPS. Expect several
questions on IFR use of GPS.

Don't forget to study weather. A detailed understanding
of fronts, cloud and freezing levels is required. Expect to
see a double wx system on the test.

Once you do all the above, then start to work your way
through sample test to determine your weak areas that
you need to work on.

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

I'm curious to see how long you two can go on about the same thing.

Also pretty shocked BverLuver has never asked anyone about a single aviation topic. That would be lazy. Oh, PIREPs...you should find out for yourself too instead of getting other people's information. Don't want to be lazy :wink:

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Another interesting thread.

In 1982 I needed to write the American Airline Transport License exams for a short term contract flying an American registered airplane in Alaska.

I took the ASA weekend cram course in Seattle then spent two days reading all the questions in the American exams with only the correct answers showing.....the three wrong ones were blacked out.

Next day I did the exams at an FAA office.... it worked like magic because the correct answers just jumped right out at me....I passed with around 90 percent correct.

Was I just a lazy pilot?

BverLuver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BverLuver »

I am actually only slightly surprised that people here have given him a pass. Taking the easy-sleazy road is not my M.O. But, whatever keeps the sun over your head I suppose.

BL

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I am actually only slightly surprised that people here have given him a pass. Taking the easy-sleazy road is not my M.O. But, whatever keeps the sun over your head I suppose.

BL
So in your opinion the method I used to pass the American written exams makes me a sleazy pilot?

Return to “General Comments”