Best Place To Have Custom Mahogany Models Made

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

skygirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Best Place To Have Custom Mahogany Models Made

Post by skygirl »

Double Wasp - I’ve also been in touch with niceairplanes.com. I sent you a pm
---------- ADS -----------

172_Captain
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 172_Captain »

Another vote for niceairplanea.co.uk

Highly detailed, and built right to your specifications. Pricing includes shipping and shipping is done in tightly wrapped boxes with laser cut foam. The detail they put in is insane. I have four models from them...so far.

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

I just received my Global Express XRS model a few weeks ago that I ordered back at the end of May.

I ordered it from Model Buffs (modelbuffs.com) in the Philippines... You can look them up on the Internet and see their history.

Their standard custom made/painted models of the Global Express is IIRC a 1/16th scale and goes for $240 USD.

However I wanted a much bigger version, a 1/50th scale version which they were willing to do (or any size actually) but the price goes up accordingly.

The details are amazing and I actually told my cleaning lady to NEVER touch or dust the model because of all the small details like the pitot tubes which could be easily broken.

Very happy with the model.

FYI... You can get a Global (or any of their aircrafts) in a 1/55th scale size (or smaller) from Bombardier. They order them with a California based company that makes all their model aircrafts. They make them out of some sort of solid plastic but are no way near the details of my model's finish. Also they only come in the Bombardier paint scheme (no custom paint job). The regular price for a 1/50th scale model I was told is $1000 CAD regular but they offered a 20% discount, so $800 CAD since were are a customer of theirs at the training centre in Montreal.

In a 1/50th scale size, the model is about 24 inches by 24 inches.

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

skygirl wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:20 pm Wow! That’s great! FDM is on my shortlist of places - I really appreciate the review. Do you happen to know what size that would have been??
13" wingspan and 16" fuselage nose to tail.

It has all the external antennae and pitot tubes. Very detailed!

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

Yo could always build it yourself! See http//:www.barnerysairforce.com

skygirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skygirl »

172_Captain wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:43 pm Another vote for niceairplanea.co.uk

Highly detailed, and built right to your specifications. Pricing includes shipping and shipping is done in tightly wrapped boxes with laser cut foam. The detail they put in is insane. I have four models from them...so far.
Hey 172_Captain - would you happen to have a photo of one?

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Another vote here for Nicemodels. I’m a lifelong model builder including having built a couple solid wood display models myself so I’m pretty anal when it comes to the quality of these things. I don’t have a plane from Nicemodels but I’ve seen their work first hand and they’d be my first call if I were to commission one.

skygirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skygirl »

lownslow wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:33 am Another vote here for Nicemodels. I’m a lifelong model builder including having built a couple solid wood display models myself so I’m pretty anal when it comes to the quality of these things. I don’t have a plane from Nicemodels but I’ve seen their work first hand and they’d be my first call if I were to commission one.
Thank you!!

skygirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skygirl »

Next question.... gear up or gear/flaps down??

Our other models are all gear up, but we were gifted those and they weren’t custom orders. What would you pick..... I’d ask him, but it’s a surprise....

James 54
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by James 54 »

I have been dealing with Airgo Models for 2 years now .
I paid up front for 5 wellington Bombers to be built
the first year of waiting he would respond but slowly
now almost at the 2 year mark and now he never responds to emails or phone calls .
if I were you stay away from this guy it's a part time job for him .
he told me that in an email .
I would love to support local business but with that way Mike Ferguson has treated me I would never deal with him again
he promises the world then disappears

disappointed

412Pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 412Pilot »

I’ve had the same issue with Mike Ferguson and Airgo Models. I have had three custom models on order for the past 2 years with nothing but excuses. I’ve asked for my money back for the last year and a half and when he finally does answer my emails he says custom orders are final sale. Is there any way of trying to get my money back from this guy?

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

If you paid with a credit card, try a charge reversal through your credit card company. That usually gets the retailers attention pretty quickly.

Return to “General Comments”