AC Unions in the news AGAIN!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

justplanecrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by justplanecrazy »

I work in a Union company and can't stand it. The work slows to a crawl because there are no initiatives to be productive/ usefull. People that would get fired from McDonald's are working lifetimes here. They instill these notions that even though we are unskilled/ uneducated/ inexperienced, we deserve 6 figure salaries.

We sat on strike for a month and a half with $100 a week from the union. After families were breaking up and people emptying their retirement fund, the company approached us with the same crappy deal except for 3 years now instead of 1. The union told us all to sign or we'd be shut down.

Now the safety/health standards in the company have gone to hell and when an employee wrote the union with a five page letter detailing concerns and actions that could be taken, he was kicked out. To top it off they forwarded the letter to management and he was fired. Kinda like a really ugly old Jerry Mguire with his ideal company outline.

If the company is small the union will strangle them until they die, if the company is large, the union has no power or authority.
---------- ADS -----------

We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.
— Dr. Herbert Haynes, Federal Aviation Authority.
SplitS
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SplitS »

I think youre bang on Wallypilot. As much as it would suck for all those canned, having the feds hand over another pile of cash to yet again keep this sinking ship afloat would be crazy.

So much for my childhood dream of struting around airports in my funky AC uniform with those gleeming yellow bananas on my shoulders and pulling my leather case full of cash....

Is Wardair hiring? What about Canada 3000?? now theres a good company.... :P

Keep flying till the noise stops.
Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

justplanecrazy wrote:People that would get fired from McDonald's are working lifetimes here.

Your words may well prove to be prophetic. We are moving towards a world of McJobs and McWages.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
gelbisch
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by gelbisch »

amen.

Wilbur
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Wilbur »

Have any of you actually seen AC's books? Obviously, the principals in the matter have. Trinity Time, GEAC, the unions all know what the real numbers are. Victor Li isn't offering up 650 million because he thinks he'll lose his money. He see's an opportunity to make a profit, and probably within about 5 years or less. What he and the unions are doing is negotiating and playing a bit of brinksmanship. That's how business works. Time will tell who blinks first.

As for unions, as someone else said, companies get the union they deserve. If AC, or any other company, has problem employees, the problem is the fault of management. Management decides who they hire. If the employee is crappy, who's the incompetent manager who hired them? If a mistake happened in hiring and the employee was never any good, why were they not terminated during their probationary period?If they started out a good employee and became crappy, who's the incompetent leader (aka manager) who failed to keep his/her subordinates motivated and performing up to expectations? If management doesn't like their union agreement, why did they negotiate and sign it? If they have five different unions, why did they allow it to occur? Why didn't they encourage the first union in to take-over and represent all employees?

Unions help to ensure that employees recieve fair and equal treatment by their employer, and help prevent abuse and scape-goating by management. It is unions that got rid of wide spread "sweat shop" employers, and forced governments to create labour laws and health and safety regulations. It is unions that lifted working people out of ghettos and into middle class suburban neighbourhoods by forcing companies to give their employees a larger slice of the pie.

The only reason Westjet and the other non-union majors pay what they do is because the unions at AC (and previously CP) helped to set industry standards in Canada. Why do so many small operators use and abuse their pilots? Because there are few unions so nobody stands up and forces them to treat people respectfully.

Westjet will organize one day, and my bet is it will come on the heals of a few issues. The first will be when employees start to feel that processes like annual leave booking, promotions, and benefit packages are not meeting their needs and management is not responsive. Second will be when salaries do not keep pace with the cost of living. And the third will be when profit levels and share values drop, and management is believed to be attempting to increase share holder value at the expense of employees.

FamilyGuy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FamilyGuy »

Ding Ding Ding...We have a winner...Gordo, tell him what he's won!

Wilbur gets it, why can't the rest of you guys.

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

I understand that unions have their place, and I would even go so far as to say I am in favor of unions idealogically.

But I have seen from experience that when a union has to much protection, it breeds laziness. While most of the employees perform as they should, there is always that percentage that totally slacks off, and in a more pragmatic arrangement, that person would at some point be fired. But the union protects them. When a company is operating on such a small margin, all it takes is that lowered productivity and your profit margin is history.

It is true that companies get the union they deserve, but at the same time, the unions we have now at AC are representative of a different time. You didn't used to have to graduate high-school to get many of the unionized jobs that were out there. There was a shortage of labour through the 50's and 60's and AC hired whoever the could because there weren't enough candidates. And the union had the leverage to gain whatever extra advantages it could. And in those days the company could afford it. It was government supported.

We're in different times now, obviously, with higher average education levels, higher literacy, and more proficient interpersonal skills. If AC had been able to change little by little with the times, and if the union and management had been able to work together to maintain the flexibility for the coming hurdles, then we may not be in the situation we are in today. THe problem is that the union will try to NEVER give back anything they have attained. The problem with that is that many things have to change in a dynamic changing industry.

I find it so daunting to even start to try to analyse the so many facets of this problem. The company is inflexible and in debt to it ears. And Trinity Time Investments? Well, they HOPE to see a positive return on investment. I mean we are talking about the RICHEST FAMILY in china here.... $650 million is a drop in the bucket for them. Ever heard of a gamble? THat's what he's taking. Plus, for many, the idea of owning an airline is "sexy". It's not always about economics.

Wilbur
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Wilbur »

Sorry Wally, but union membership DOES NOT breed laziness. Poor supervision and leadership breeds apathy which leads to laziness. AC has morale problems and many apathetic employees entirely due to mismanagement and a profound lack of leadership.

Why does the union protect lazy members?; because they are legally obligated to do so. You pay dues to a union to represent you, and defend you when necessary. It's not up to the union to pass judgement. It's a relationship similar to hiring a lawyer.

Everytime the company goes back to the employees looking for contract concessions it marks another business failure by management and another attempt to make the employees pay for it. I don't work for AC, but I have friends that do as pilots, AMEs, and CSAs. Other than the pilots, the others are not highly paid and their benefit package seems pretty average.

AC's finanical problems are due to a series of strategic management errors; most notably their failed attempt to monopolize the industry by bankrupting smaller competitors and buying CAI.

The only reason their union agreements are such high priority is because they have botched almost every other aspect of running the business. I'm a manager where I work (a large unionized employer), and personally view blaming unions for company problems as a cop-out excuse for incompetent management and leadership.

I'll also bet that if the deal with Trinity goes through, most of the current senior management will be gone as quickly as Li can find and hire quality replacements. He didn't get as rich as he is by tolerating gong shows like AC has been run for years.

Wilbur
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Wilbur »

One more thing. Unions can not protect lazy or incompetent employees from being fired. All they can do is force management to do their job properly and counsel, train, mentor, discipline and document before resorting to firing. As I said, I work for a unionized employer (a union far more powerful than any at AC) and I've been able to fire two people in the last two months due to poor work performance. It's not hard to do if you have done your job and are truly justified in taking such extreme action.

A330
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A330 »

Wilber,

It's very obvious that you work in a union environment..........the blame is always, always deflected on the "management". Talk about a cop-out.......
No accountability and always on the defensive. Having a governing body to help support and faciliate is one thing but the total dysfunction and denial of a couple of the AC unions is another. Unions most definitely protect lazy and incompetence, especially in AC's case. And for the wages of those other than pilots???? I know of rampies making 70k at AC, do you think that is an average wage? Your vision is impaired because AC is plagued with union problems and employee relations. I experienced this first hand and was disgusted at some of the abuse and lack of pride.......always complaining and always blaming the company. What a joke!! Have you seen some of the check-in staff for AC? What a bunch of over paid miserable misfits. I'd bet on Westjet all day long.................

N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

Dangit all pa.....if Air Canada were a horse we'd have ta shoot it!

Wilbur
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Wilbur »

How do unions protect the lazy and incompetent, and prevent accountability? All unions can do is grieve management decisions and take them infront of an independent arbitrator. If management has fulfilled their obligations under labour law and their collective agreement their decisions will be upheld by the arbitrator. The only time management looses is when they have failed to do their own job properly (prepare and present their case), or they are trying to operate outside the rules.

Why are AC employees allowed to be miserable misfits and unaccountable for their actions? Where are their supervisors and managers? What are they doing? The most basic responsibility of a supervisor/manager is to keep their subordinates motivated and performing to expectations. If they are not, you either help the employee improve, or if that fails, you jump through the necessary hoops to make your case for termination.

Another basic principal in labour law is the "right of management to manage." The only management decisions that must be vetted through a union regarding operations and procedures, are those involving areas that have been negotiated into a collective agreement. Even then, if agreement is not reached the matter will go infront of an arbitrator who will listen to both sides, interpret contract language, and make an objective decision.

Regarding ramp workers who make 70g's a year, are they really making $34.00 per hour(assuming a 40 hr week), or are they working a lot of overtime? If they are working OT, why? Why doesn't management do their job and develop better staffing systems?

Simply put, anyone who thinks unions are some all powerful organizations that can "run roughshod" over company management are sorrily mistaken. All they can do is negotiate salaries, benefits, and rules for the workplace, and then force management to abide by them.

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

Wilbur wrote: Why are AC employees allowed to be miserable misfits and unaccountable for their actions? Where are their supervisors and managers? What are they doing? The most basic responsibility of a supervisor/manager is to keep their subordinates motivated and performing to expectations. If they are not, you either help the employee improve, or if that fails, you jump through the necessary hoops to make your case for termination.

Regarding ramp workers who make 70g's a year, are they really making $34.00 per hour(assuming a 40 hr week), or are they working a lot of overtime? If they are working OT, why? Why doesn't management do their job and develop better staffing systems? .
Fine, wherever you work, since it's uber powerful union I can only assume you work for a plant. Tell the employees to make 100 cars an hour or they're gonna be fired for not meeting managements quota.... *gives you an hour*

Welcome back, so did they make the 100 cars?? Well go and fire them.. ROFL.. fat chance you'll be able to fire them.. Management to blame.. That's B.S.

All an employee needs to do is say that if they work any "harder" they'll endanger themselves, the union will back them up and if a manager dares to tell the employee to work 10% he'll be written up with so many grievences.. Guess who has to pay for all that crap, the Company..

Unions at the Honda plant(the only one to be unionized) tell their employees to slow down production.

At the GM plant employees work so slow they MUST go in on weekends for overtime $75/hr to finish production of the cars GM must have. Unions have clauses in their contracts the corp won't hire other employees to fill in those overtime hours, there goes your "managements poor scheduling"

Based on Seniority the most senior person must be offered the first available shift for overtime, once again your "poor management creating a poor schedule" story is b.s.
All they can do is negotiate salaries, benefits, and rules for the workplace, and then force management to abide by them.

That's why the corp is going down the drain!

FamilyGuy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FamilyGuy »

Are you guys trying to be funny or is this for real???? Well I guess the secret is out Wilbur!! Yes its true, I admit it. All the Union guy needs to do when the company is trying to fire someone is walk in the office, sprinkle his "magic" union dust on everyone, and VOILA POOF, problem solved. ROTFL You guys don't seriously beleive the stuff you're spewing do you??

2 words for you to look up - Just Cause

It applys to every worker in Canada, unionized or not! Wilbur is bang on the money ladies. It is entirely up to the employer to do "it" properly. The only difference with unionized employees is they have "educated" people who know bullshit when they see it. If the employer doesn't do it properly, that is their problem. When they do "it" properly, unionized employees can absolutlely be terminated. Happens every day.

Seriously though....You're kidding right.....

Wilbur
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Wilbur »

No, I don't work in a plant. I manage an operation where interpersonal, public relations, and customer service type skills are at the forefront.

A few points for you. I don't care who I have to offer OT to first. If I've done my job properly and developed efficieint systems that provide staff resources when and where I need them there is no OT to offer anyone.

Second, I don't care if an obstructionist employee claims the volume of work is a risk to their safety. It's their responsibility to prove that it is. They have a safety committee they must first try to convince, and then a WCB officer. The fact they claim something is unsafe doesn't make it so. The worst they can do is cause a minor inconvenience. If they act in bad faith a second time they will be taking an unpaid vacation.

Third, I don't mind living within any agreement that the company made with the union. I don't accept them breaking their end of the deal, and they should not accept management doing so either. If management can't live with a particular item the union brings to the barganing table, they should not agree to it. If an impasse results, there are a variety of strategies to deal with it ranging from mediators, to arbitration, to strikes/lock-outs, and government assistance. As management, it is simply irresponsible to agree to a contract provision that will limit your ability to make systemic productivity gains or eliminate the financial viability of the business.

MaxPower
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MaxPower »

Air Canada's current situation cannot be blamed on any one union, group of employees, managment, or government. It was a group effort by all those involved. Hey, they worked together towards a common goal, good for them.

Could you imagine the money on lawyers and managment man hours Air Canada would have to spend to jump through all the hoops necessary to fire the lazy, incompetent unionized dead weight that plagues that airline? To do "it" properly? They'd be bankrupt.........

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I have not commented on Air Canada because I have no idea how they will resolve their problems.

However I do fly all over the world , sometimes east bound to Africa, sometime westbound to Africa on a fairly regular basis. And I regularly commute to Europe because our business is based in London.

I can assure you that there are good airlines, as well as poor airlines and the difference is in the attitude of the employees.

If Air Canada employees were to interface with their customers like Singapore Airlines do we would not be having this discussion.

For Europe I miss Canada 3000.

Cat.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

FamilyGuy wrote:You guys don't seriously beleive the stuff you're spewing do you??

2 words for you to look up - Just Cause

It applys to every worker in Canada, unionized or not! Wilbur is bang on the money ladies. It is entirely up to the employer to do "it" properly. The only difference with unionized employees is they have "educated" people who know bullshit when they see it. If the employer doesn't do it properly, that is their problem. When they do "it" properly, unionized employees can absolutlely be terminated. Happens every day.

Seriously though....You're kidding right.....
Wilbur I didn't quote your comments, but they're directly related, even though you believe it's upto the employee .

Okay.. Answer this since it's managements/Corps fault for "poorly" running the corporation..

Using A/C as an example still...

Why were the Canadian Airlines pilots fired first? Why do the layoffs start with the cheapest employee??

LOGIC dictates lay off the most EXPENSIVE employee to maximize the most profits.. But, funny, I recall the most senior employees still working there.. Where is your "just cause" cr@p??

I can Hire 3 new Captains for the Price of one senior 25/yr vet.. Anywhere else in the business world the expensive ppl get fired.. But they have a union and the crappiest most senior guy still works there..

If a Union worker says he can't handle more then 20 customers in a check-out counter he can NOT be forced to working beyond his limits.. Workers Health and Safety board. Any employee can refuse to work if it puts them in danger.. You'll just get laughed at if you're not unionized but the Union has lawyers to protect said ppl who claim to be working at maximum capacity....
They have a safety committee they must first try to convince, and then a WCB officer. The fact they claim something is unsafe doesn't make it so.
That's the only reason I like Unions because in the coal mine they could say, it's not "safe." but your logic is, they need to have a collapse before it's proven that the work environment isn't safe.. lol..

Look at the Nurses union sueing now after the fact.. ROFL.. "the gov't didn't look out after my well being" rofl.. That's total bs, you should have spoken up then, not now..

But imo, you'll never be able to fire someone just because they can't meet a quota, serving 20ppl/hr instead of the required 25.. Maybe give a poor review.. But still, not fire..
It was a group effort by all those involved. Hey, they worked together towards a common goal, good for them.
Max is correct. I'm attacking the Union at the moment, but yes, everyone has one persons interest at heart and that's self interest.. Because of this they screwed themselves over. They created 5 unions instead of 1. They let management screw the employees, the employees screw the employer and in the end it's the customer who has said "enough"- hence the bankruptcy and loss of sales.

Heck, it would be ashame to see A/C totally flop because then I'd never get a chance at making $260k/yr, lots of pilots would trickle down to the other airlines taking my future seats.. again my self interest.

At my part time job we have steal workers union. My co-worker has 6 reprimands for being late(+30 minutes) in one year. Another fellow was told to "stop drinking at work" they both still work with me.... If we didn't have a union they would not be working there.

But as a person I'm not blinded by how the unions don't "do anything" and it's all "managements fault" if that's the case why would they need a union??

dxpr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dxpr »

I used to hate unions.. Now, I approve. But I will say that your union is only as good as your rep. If you have a good rep, your life will be good. Otherwise you have to play the same BS games as anywhere else.

The rep that turned me on to unions was/is a complete union person, I swear she knows the contract by memory. She is also the complete company person, I've seen people go to her with BS complaints, and she shuts them down before they get very far. Why? Because she is concerned with the welfare of the employee AND the welfare of the company.

We caught someone stealing once, and the union was the first to speak up to have her leave!

The comment about unions breeding lazyness. Give your head a shake, have you ever worked in a non-union job with someone who you thought was lazy? Yah, I thought so.

I've worked as a front line customer service agent for Canadian Regional, and then JAZZ. And I'll tell you that the travelling customer has changed. When I worked for CRA, I enjoyed coming to work, my passengers were happy, and I worked hard to take care of them. As soon as I put on the Air Canada uniform, more of my customers were unhappy. One day I kept track, over 70% of my checkins were mad before I they even got to me. Soon enough, I started to hate my job. Then I realized it was time to move on...

So I spent a ton of money to get a pilots liscence, and not find work for three years... I'm loving this much more. But I digress....

I wish I had a union now...

Don't hate the player..... hate the game.

Bcn-In-Bnd
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Bcn-In-Bnd »

.......and around-around we go, where it STOPS nobody knows. :?

Return to “General Comments”