What airplane do you buy with $20-$30K?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

What airplane do you buy with $20-$30K

C-120
2%
C-140
12%
C-150
17%
C-170
14%
Citabria 7EC
14%
J-3 Cub with 85hp+
33%
Champ with 85hp+
2%
Luscombe 8A
5%

Total votes: 42

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

What airplane do you buy with $20-$30K?

Post by Lotro »

Hello informed aviators.

I have 170 hours, an "ok" income and an itching to purchase an airplane - it is a buyers market after all.

I know, airplanes are never cheap, and I'm working with some experienced mentors to make the right decision, but I thought I'd poll you guys and see your thoughts.

So, what do you think?

I have 170 some odd hours, I'm looking for a cost effective way to build time and have some fun.
I'm young, and hopefully this won't be the only airplane I ever own. I can buy something now, fly it for 20 years and trade up later if I want later.
I'm most comfortable around $20K. $30K would have to be perfect as I'd use up everything I could get to get it.
On this airplane I'd like to get a night rating, and a CPL and maybe even an IFR rating - although, truthfully the IFR thing isn't really that important.
I like taking people flying, but my wife says 2 seats is fine.
I like the weekend XC, but not to get somewhere far away fast, but rather to enjoy flying along the way. I don't mind 2.5-4 hr legs to Sudbury, or Killarney or Ottawa or week long trips to Winnipeg or OshKosh.
If at all possible, I want to cruise as close to 100 MPH as possible.
Taildragger, Stick & Rudder is preferred. It should be fun/challenging/enjoyable to fly.
I'd love an option for floats or skis one day, but that could be the second airplane.
---------- ADS -----------

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: What airplane do you buy with $20-$30K?

Post by iflyforpie »

If you can find one for that price, a Citabria 7ECA is pretty hard to beat. Bulletproof and powerful yet economical 115 HP O-235, roomy cabin, easy to fly, very happy off strip and on grass, simple airframe, current support from American Champion Aircraft.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

If you can afford a hangar, I'd get a Wittman Tailwind. It just doesn't get any cooler than that. Without the hangar I'd get a BD-4.

One thing's for sure, if you are planning on travelling much with your wife stay away from tandem seating. Except for the odd aviation enthusiast, any woman I know is far more likely to enjoy the ride with side by side seating.

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

iflyforpie wrote:If you can find one for that price, a Citabria 7ECA is pretty hard to beat. Bulletproof and powerful yet economical 115 HP O-235, roomy cabin, easy to fly, very happy off strip and on grass, simple airframe, current support from American Champion Aircraft.
Good luck with that though, or at least finding one for that price that you wouldn't have to dump in a lot more cash to have a decent airplane with at the end. You're looking at at least 40K all in (at least) for that fun. Same can be said about the 170.

CFR
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CFR »

Having just completed the exercise you are going through, I can say you are asking for an awful lot for 20K.

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lotro »

CFR wrote:Having just completed the exercise you are going through, I can say you are asking for an awful lot for 20K.
It's a fun (and frustrating) exercise. What did you end up getting/deciding CFR?

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Interesting there are so many people here thinking you can buy a decent cub or 170 in Canada for under $30k.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Shiny Side Up wrote: Good luck with that though, or at least finding one for that price that you wouldn't have to dump in a lot more cash to have a decent airplane with at the end. You're looking at at least 40K all in (at least) for that fun. Same can be said about the 170.
Touché. But he did say J3 too. I'd bet I find a Citabria in that price range before a J3.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

I don't think a J3 can be fetched for that price, lest it be from a little old lady who might have won it as the sweepstakes prize at Oshkosh and doesn't know what to do with it. Ditto for a Citabria or C170.

Furthermore, I think that you will have trouble finding a decent IFR platform for your budget. I don't think I'd want to do any IFR flying on a Venturi vacuum system. The closest you might get is a C152, if you don't get yourself a junk airplane.

Personally, if I had $30,000K I would look for the nicest Cessna 140 I could find. Why? Because I am a sucker for them-- having had a great time during university renting one from a school which had a very liberal policy on which kind of fields I could land it on. Had some a great time kicking up dust clouds and watching the wings barely clear the growth on the "runway" edges and doing lots of mandatory low-level sightseeing (operating the aircraft near Max Gross out of airports with 5000' to 8000' Density Altitudes). They have a soft spot in my heart.

CFR
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CFR »

Lotro wrote:
CFR wrote:Having just completed the exercise you are going through, I can say you are asking for an awful lot for 20K.
It's a fun (and frustrating) exercise. What did you end up getting/deciding CFR?
I bought a sister ship to this one. I wanted something aerobatic with half decent cruise and range.

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetai ... 252923.htm?

FYI it costs approx an additional 10K to import one.

If you don't already you should add the Western Producer site to the ones you check for planes. New listings evey Thursday. Currently there is a C-140 for 21K with an 823 SMOH engine.

http://classifieds.producer.com/agricul ... nes/search

Have a look at COPA's guide to buying a plane.

best of luck!

Jungle Jim
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Jungle Jim »

I have two posible suggestions.

1) Stinson 108 - There are lots of them around and they carry a lot at about 110 mph. I've owner one of these.

2) How about a Thorp T18? I currently own one. They are probably the best value for the money out there now.( check Barnstormers) There are quite a few for sale in your price range. Even a slow one will cruise at 150mph.( they land at 80 mph, the same as the Stinson) They are honest tail draggers that need to be flown precisely, but with a proper check out they fairly easy to transition to.

Jim

light chop
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by light chop »

Whatever you decide to buy, PLEASE remember to investigate parts availability and factory support - it's this stuff that can make your ownership experience fun and satisfying or a real pain in the backside. You don't want to be waiting forever for parts or emails / phone calls to the factory that go unanswered.

It's been said on here a million times, but owning an airplane will cost you lots of money - don't tap yourself out with the purchase and have no money left for proper maintenance. Lots of airplanes flying around today that are sorely lacking maintenance - some of them are pretty scarey.

Don't forget to become best friends with a good AME, you'll be spending a lot of time and money with them!

LC

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

When I was in this situation, prices were a little different (1976), but the end goal was the same, I wanted to build time and not pay full rental rates for an airplane. I bought an aeronca chief that had 65 hp up front. It was very miserly on fuel, and I had a blast with it for two summers and a winter. I flew it for 250 hours, then sold it, and used the proceeds to finance a cpl. When I was looking, I ended up with the choice between a champ with the 85, and a chief with the 65. I chose the chief because it had side by side seating, and was a few bucks less to purchase. There was a similar plane on the field, a t-craft with the 85, which would have been the best of both worlds, the bigger engine and still side by side seating.

Deltawidget
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Deltawidget »

Your most realistic answer is likely the cessna 140. You may be able to get one in canada for 20-25k and have 5k set aside for any un expected repairs..

The 140 benefits from having many parts with the cessna 150/152 which are easier and cheaper to find than some of the other aircraft.

The 170 is obviously a more powerful aircraft with more seats but goodluck finding one in decent condition for under 30k.

Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Rudder Bug »

I am very happy with my good old PA-22/150.

Got her for 20K, put a little money in it, plus lots of love, sweat and tears.

A good four-seater in winter, three in summer, 120 mph cruise, 30 liter/hour. 900 lbs useful load, which is 100 more than a 172 for much less money.

It can even be a decent float flyer for some people but this is questionable...

The down side for my personal likings is the trike gear but it's a sturdy one, strong like hell. A well built aircraft with intelligent features.

With a little luck, you could find a tailwheel version for just about the same investment.

RB

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I enjoyed all my time on the mighty 150. I've heard that the 152 is better. Remember mogas is far cheaper than avgas. Comes with limitations but saves a buck or two.

Dash-Ate
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dash-Ate »

Just buy a block of time. One bad annual or rebuild at $10000-20000 and now you own (owe) a $40000-50000 plane. Is this what you want? :toimonster:

AEROBAT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by AEROBAT »

I saw a decent 120 go for $17000 last summer. You might find a Piper Colt or a Chief in your price range. Tailorcraft are frequently seen under $30000.

Forget the Cub or Citabria, I doubt if you could find either for that price that would not require a lot more cash dumped in. Cubs are way overpriced and the only Citabria's I have seen cheap are the early models with the O-200.

Wmayeur
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Wmayeur »

Lots of great deals in the states, you can find one in very good condition with gps and/or full ifr panel. Just stay away from the salt of florida.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

CpnCrunch wrote:Interesting there are so many people here thinking you can buy a decent cub or 170 in Canada for under $30k.
I think you spelled "$50k" wrong.

Return to “General Comments”