Take-off alternate

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Northern Flyer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Take-off alternate

Post by Northern Flyer »

Here's a question for you all,

Single engine IFR, what are the take-off mins? If the weather is below landing mins, and you would need a T/O alternate (multi engine) what would you do single engine?
---------- ADS -----------

split s
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by split s »

Believe it or not, you can get approved for the take-off alternate within 1 hour single engine as well.

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

Commercial single engine passenger IFR under the Canadian regs can only be operated under CAR’s 703 Air Taxi. If you fly a King Air or PC12 the takeoff alternate is “normal cruse”. In CAR’s 704 or 705 they then specify engine out cruse.

723.30 Take-off Minima
(1) The standard for conducting a take-off in IMC when weather conditions are at or above take-off, but below landing minima for the runway in use are:
(amended 1999/09/01; previous version)
(a) the aeroplane is twin-engined or a single-engine aeroplane approved for operations under section 703.22 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations;
(amended 1998/06/01; previous version)
(b) an alternate aerodrome is specified in the IFR flight plan; and
(c) that aerodrome is located within the distance that can be flown in 60 minutes at the normal cruising speed.

RB211
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RB211 »

ETOPS approved a/c up to 2 hrs away for for a take-off alternate. 850nm for the B757.

fougapilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fougapilot »

J31 wrote:Commercial single engine passenger IFR under the Canadian regs can only be operated under CAR’s 703 Air Taxi. If you fly a King Air or PC12 ...
Did I miss something here? I didn't know Beech made a single engine KingAir.... :D

D

sakism
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sakism »

I think he was just saying that under 703 there is no distinction between multi and single engine. Hence the King Air and PC12.

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

fougapilot wrote:
J31 wrote:Commercial single engine passenger IFR under the Canadian regs can only be operated under CAR’s 703 Air Taxi. If you fly a King Air or PC12 ...
Did I miss something here? I didn't know Beech made a single engine KingAir.... :D

D
It is 75 minutes on the single engine King Air to your takeoff alternate :wink: and you don't make it to your takeoff alternate after an engine failure in the PC12 :(

Return to “General Comments”