laser eye surgery medical question

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

burtondude
Rank 0
Rank 0

laser eye surgery medical question

Post by burtondude »

Hopefully some input before I call TC. On the fence about getting the surgery. I currently have a CPL and am about half done my instructor rating. If I do hypothetically get the surgery lets say tomorrow vs waiting until I am done the IR I would loose my medical. Without the medical the CPL is invalid and without a CPL you can't start an instructor rating. During this time would I still be able to do ground lessons for the instructor rating and bang off a bunch of ground briefs?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
---------- ADS -----------

Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: laser eye surgery medical question

Post by 172 »

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do ground briefings. But is it really that much of a pain to hold off on the laser eye surgery until you've finished off your instructor rating? Its totally your call, but if it were me I would get further clarification from TC (what processes you have to go through to get your medical signed off again, how long it would be before you can start flying again, etc.), and wait until you know that you'll have time off from flying. If you theoretically got it done tomorrow, you'd be delaying your career and spending more money than you should have to.

My $0.02.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Okay, you asked.
My daughter had Lasik. Two HOURS later, she was TOTALLY recovered with NO discomfort. At all.
TC's stand on laser eye surgery is just like their stand on needing NDB's to back up GPS's.
Anything newer than a Tyrannosaurus Rex scares them.
IF I were to get Lasik done, I would just go off in the "dark of night" and have it done.
But, that's me. YMMV. I don't tend to tell TC everything. I mean, how mad can they get....you show up for your medical renewal 20/20. How could this be a bad thing.
Just get in and drive.
Are there any questions?

burtondude
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by burtondude »

thanks for the replies. Called my aviation examiner, he had no idea told me to call TC. Called the medical side of TC and the lady told me that TC only finds out that you had the surgery when your doctor sends the form in 30 days after saying you need the glasses portion removed form the medical. She also referenced CARS 404 and stated that since I was not PIC during the instructor rating I was fine to fly during the period because the class one instructor has a license and I was not PIC which I thought was unusual. I went back into 404, no idea what she is talking about so I will call again tomorrow to try and get some more clarification.

What actually happens to the medical when you get laser, does your doctor sign it as on hold or temporary canceled?

Cap'n P8
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cap'n P8 »

I had PRK in 1994. At the time you lost the medical for at least a year. The waiting period is substantially less now. As far as not telling TC...you are potentially providing ammunition for litigation, should you ever have an accident or incident.

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

You do not lose your medical with Lasik. Just testing after it's done to confirm that you're good to go. I can't speak for PRK.

FWIW I've had Lasik (1998) and never lost the medical.

SayAgain
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SayAgain »

I had lasik done about a year ago. You do lose your medical. It is your responsibility to inform transport at which point they pull your medical. After 30 days you get tested and submit the results. I was back flying after 34 days post op.

airbus_rookie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by airbus_rookie »

I had lasik done about 5 years ago, while working in a 705 operation.

30 days no flying, then 2 months "as or with a copilot". After the 90 days no restrictions.

They did not pull my medical. I had a letter from them detailing the above that I had to carry for the final 2 months.

Transport Canada was very easy to deal with. Just keep them in the loop, and submit the paperwork.

Piece of cake.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Seems TC wants to make sure you can handle being 20/20 after years of being 20/80 (or worse) The stupidity of TC never fails to amaze me.
Fact remains, if you don't tell them, they wont know.
But then some of you would admit to ingrown toenails and fainting spells as children? Don't tell them you wet the bed either.....

TTJJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TTJJ »

For all the habitual Transport Canada bashers out there; the restrictions in place for LASIK are not a Transport thing. They are an ICAO thing. I was looking into it myself.

Straight from the horse's mouth.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/o ... ery-75.htm

Excerpt:

Who needs to know when this surgery has been done?

You need to inform the eye centre that you are a pilot/air traffic controller. They have an obligation to report your situation to TC Civil Aviation Medicine. You should inform your Civil Aviation Medical Examiner (CAME), as s/he needs to up-date your file and ensure that you are aware of your obligations with respect to grounding yourself. While there is no requirement to inform the Regional CAM office directly, you might want to consider it if you are in a career situation where return to authorized flying activities is a priority. This would alert CAM and help to expedite the re-certification when the reports are ready.

Failure to inform TC/CAM about this surgical procedure could lead to Enforcement action should the circumstances come to light in the future. “Miraculous” improvements in visual acuity found at renewal medical examinations with your CAME will be pursued.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UK
http://www.aviationmedicals.co.uk/serv06.htm

Laser Eye Surgery
There has recently been some relaxation of the rules regarding laser eye surgery, however the decision to have LASIK (laser) surgery still has significant implications for JAA medical certification.

LASIK is acceptable for unrestricted certification at 3 months postoperatively if refraction at 2 and 3 months shows stability (less than 0.75 dioptres variation) and no glare or any other are noted. A report stating refraction at 2 months will be required. Pre-operative refraction must not have exceeded +5 to -5 dioptres for Class 1 certification and +5 to -8 dioptres for Class 2 certification.

For commercial pilots, and their employers, three months off work may not be an acceptable option.

Follow up will be required as follows:

Class 1 Ophthalmic review at AMS (CAA Gatwick) at 3 and 12 months
Class 2 Local ophthalmic review at 3 and 12 months.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
USA
http://aviationmedicine.com/articles/in ... ntentID=67

Edited once for horrendous grammer.

Last edited by TTJJ on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

Thanks for the links TTJJ.

Return to “General Comments”