IFR certified GPS Question

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: IFR certified GPS Question

Post by Colonel Sanders »

I don't have alternative Static line or heated pitot
Oh boy. Price just went up. I'm sure you can install them -
they were almost certainly optional equipment when new -
but it will add to the price.
---------- ADS -----------

old_man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by old_man »

Might make more sense to sell your bird and by an IFR 172 or something similar and then sell that when your done?

What are your overall objectives? Why do you want an IFR rating? What do you plan to do with it?

cap41
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cap41 »

old_man wrote:
What are your overall objectives? Why do you want an IFR rating? What do you plan to do with it?
My objectives are simple do the most I can with the least possible out lay of cash :D

My son is taking lessons, with plans of becoming a commercial pilot. I figured to achieve the 200hrs needed the cheapest option is the 150 for most of the flying. Eventually he wants the multi, and IFR rating. My thoughts were if its going to cost him/us 7-8K in rentals. I thought maybe I would retro fit my 150 with an IFR equipment allowing him to do his training on our 150. Also would allow him more IFR practice and to stay current. I figured If I spent 8-10k in upgrades I would increase the value of the plane at least 4-5k. At the end of the day I should be ahead of the game. Yes i know there are annuals and insurance etc. but those costs are already there. As we are flying the 150 to build time.

cgartly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cgartly »

The GNS430 can still be repaired, just had mine flat rate repaired at Garmin. By the time you pay a shop to RMA it, shipping etc it is approx $1000. There is a shop in Ontario that has an STC to install the 430 IFR in different aircraft, the name escapes me. The STC is $300. If you buy a GNS430W you do not need the STC as Garmin produced one along with a AML (Approved Model List). I wouldn't think alternate static would be too expensive as its just a stupid little valve but have no idea what installing heated pitot would cost. I would probably go the route of finding a used heated pitot tube.

I would recommend going state side as well. You will have to guide the shop a little though if they are not familiar with IFR GPS in a C-REG plane. In the states they have to fly I believe 3 approach's to certify the installation. In Canada as far as I know you just need the proper paperwork in place, STC/AML & flight manual supplement & possibly a major mod form sent in to TC to report the installation.

I just purchased a PA38 that I would like to make IFR and am in basically the same situation as you, except I have a King COM and a Narco integrated VOR indicator. I am contemplating purchasing a KNS80 for the ILS/VOR/GS as they can be had quite cheap and was also considering a GPS, Apollo GX55's can be had fairly cheap and are IFR certifiable as well.

rapid602
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rapid602 »

I think I mentioned this before BUT IF I AM WRONG PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CORRECT ME.

If you are training at a qualified flying school. AND you are training for the issue of a Licence or a rating in this case an Instrument Rating. Is the cost of that training Not Tax Deductable because the Flying School Issues a Tax Slip. I think I even got one for $300 for taking the Aero Course.

So in the cost of putting all of that equipment into a C150 or 152. Doesn't the tax savings from a flying school enter into the math.

Not trying to discourage you from anything ... but at least it deserve to be included into the math ... while trying to figure out Should I ... or Shouldn't I ....

If I am wrong about the tax slip guys feel free to correct me.

Good luck in your decision.

old_man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by old_man »

cap41 wrote: My thoughts were if its going to cost him/us 7-8K in rentals.
You do realize that about half the required instrument time can be conducted in the flight school's sim right?

I thought maybe I would retro fit my 150 with an IFR equipment allowing him to do his training on our 150. Also would allow him more IFR practice and to stay current.
Seeing as I am still not sure if you plan on actually making a 150 fully IFR certified or just putting some additional instruments in a 150 and keeping it VFR, make sure that, whatever you do, you first find the instructor that is going to teach you son and ask him if he is willing to do it in that 150 that you are building.
I figured If I spent 8-10k in upgrades I would increase the value of the plane at least 4-5k. At the end of the day I should be ahead of the game.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. I guess the question boils down to is... are you planning on making this thing actually IFR certified or is this just going to be a VFR C150 with a few additional instruments?

If it's the former...check to see what the market is for a IFR C150. (If there is one). If it's the latter, well.....just know your market.

CID
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CID »

I asked earlier if you would settle for "simulated" IFR. Basically that is doing IFR navigation procedures while actually flying VFR. If that's acceptable to you then you don't need the heated pitot and alternate static.

I'd also like to clarify a few things about using shops in the US. If the stuff is installed under and STC, then you don't have a problem. FAA STCs are accepted without review for modifications done on "small" aircraft where the US is the state of design. If there is no STC, the shop would typically go the "field approval" route. Canada has no corresponding field approval process so you'd have to have the modification paperwork validated under Transport Canada certification rules.

It's been my experience that US field approvals are generally done poorly. They often fail to meet design and certification standards since there is no engineering oversight required. The field approval system has been "sick" for years and the FAA is looking into it lately.

Yes, you may save some money up front at a US based repair station but the product is sub-standard in my opinion and you may have to spend a bunch more and have your airplane effectively grounded (in the US) until you get the field approval reviewed and validated. Depending on Transport Canada's assessment, you may need to get a Canadian STC for it as well.

You can check here for more information.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca- ... 13-003.pdf

With respect to the advice for equipping with a KX-155/KI-209/KR-87, you're talking K for the equipment (no installation) and a giant hole in the airframe for the ADF antenna. And if you've never had a VHF NAV, you need an antenna installed on the top of the vertical stab. And in the end, you don't really have more capability than you do with a GNS-430.

Remember, you need to figure out what airports you wish to fly IFR to. If you plan to go to an airport with only an NDB approach, you can't do it with either setup. (Read the IFR equipage rule I linked to earlier)

If you add a second ADF and a second NAV receiver to the Colonol's suggestion, you then have a true IFR package but add another 5K.

In the end, making a 150 into an IFR machine is sort of like putting lipstick on a pig.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

It's been my experience that US field approvals are generally done poorly. They often fail to meet design and certification standards since there is no engineering oversight required.
A bit of a conflict of interest on that opinion, wouldn't you say?

I think we can safely say that installing a KX-155 and KR-87
into a C150 isn't exactly rocket science, no matter how much
FUD is spread around.
If you plan to go to an airport with only an NDB approach,
you can't do it with either setup
Sure you can. More FUD being spread around here. You don't
need dual ADF's and dual VOR's to be legal IFR in Canada.

The applicable CAR is 605.18:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... htm#605_18
(j) sufficient radio navigation equipment to permit the pilot, in the event of the failure at any stage of the flight of any item of that equipment, including any associated flight instrument display,

(i) to proceed to the destination aerodrome or proceed to another aerodrome that is suitable for landing,
So if your alternate has a (eg) VOR approach, you're golden
with the KX-155/KR-87 basic IFR package.

Goodness, there's a lot of disinformation in aviation.

One wonders how much is unintentional, and how much
is intentional. You can't help but think of what Napoleon
had to say on that subject:
Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence
As far as dual VOR's go ... if they come off the same attenna
(or freq splitter) then they really aren't independent wrt CAR
605.18, are they? Single POF common to both.

And all these nav boxes are tied through a single audio panel.
If it fails, you can't identify the station, which TC considers a
pre-requisite to flying an approach - it's an IFR test failure item.
Another single POF.

And, are they powered by the same bus? Well, a single failure
of that power takes out all the VOR's and ADF's, doesn't it? From
an MTBF standpoint the electrical system is far less reliable than
the solid-state receiver. Another single POF.

So much for dual VOR's and ADF's :roll:

If you want dual something, get dual transponder. Far more
trouble-prone than a VOR or ADF. I hate those old cavity tubes.
Maybe the new solid-state ones are more reliable, but I dunno.
Anything with a high-power transmitter - as opposed to a simple
receiver - simply isn't going to be as reliable.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Threatening to identify a poster is not cool. You know better

Bandaid

bandaid
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bandaid »

I had moved this thread into mod area for moderation. The offensive remarks were removed but if it goes in the same direction it was I will remove the thread and pass out the appropriate warnings or banning. Please play nice in the sandbox.
Bandaid

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

Here's a question:

You bring your plane down to the States and have some avionics work done (install new radios).

Who is asking to check it over when you come back? Do you have to self report to TC? Do you have to pay duty/tax on the equipment and work done?

I know they look through the STC and field approvals on import but I'm not talking about an import. This is an aircraft that is already CND registered and owned.

If I just go through customs and don't say anything, those guys aren't going to catch new radios, are they? The only way I see someone noticing is on my next annual. Then what? Does something need to be done then?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Mr Wings, when you get that work done what are your tech and journey log entries going to read?

Put another way, if you just don't do your annual who is going to notice? I've never had anyone look at my journey log to make sure my annual was current.

I've never heard of anyone checking that an aircraft flying in IMC was equipped for it either. If there is no interest in operating legally, then why bother equipping the aircraft correctly in the first place?

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

I'm not trying to break any rules, I just want to know the process. Is there one?

Actually, I've never been ramped check myself. But I know guys that have and they looked at things like if they had their licence and current medical. Not sure if they looked at if the journey log and if the inspection was current but I'm guessing not.

We had a farmer fly in for an inspection and it was 5+ years since he last had one done. Was our DOM supposed to report him?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I've never seen a CAR that says DOMs must report farmers but you never know.

No, there isn't any process to make sure that a Canadian aircraft returning from out of country hasn't had any unapproved avionics work done.

If you are asking about the process for doing it correctly, that's a different story.

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

ahramin wrote:If you are asking about the process for doing it correctly, that's a different story.

Do you care to share it? Or do I have to say the secret password and give you the secret handshake first?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I'm afraid I'm in the breaking department, not the fixing department. CID already posted the info though.

cgartly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by cgartly »

When you fly back into Canada you will be phoning CBSA to give your declaration over the phone. One of the questions that will be asked is "Did you have any repairs or modifications done on the aircraft while it was down there" They will also be asking you what the purpose of the trip was. You could lie in response to both questions I suppose but it really isn't worth it.

If you properly declare you will pay HST/GST/Whatever on the value of the improvements you made.

You will submit a copy of the 337 form the shop in the US creates for the work they did, if they deem it necessary, to TC. The shop in the US should also make entries in your journey log and airframe log.

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

Thanks for the response cgartly. To the point and helpful.

x-wind
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by x-wind »

Hey Cap41,

You will have to upgrade the aircraft for any commercial pilot license training. The aircraft needs at least one ADF, VOR or GPS radio navigation aid receiver to satisfy the 20 hour radio aid training requirement. However, 10 of the 20 hours can be in an approved simulator or synthetic flight training device.

Link to the Standards for "Training Aircraft Requirements"
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... htm#425_23

Link to the Regulations for "Power Driven Aircraft IFR"
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... htm#605_18

To summarize:
You need two separate radio navigation aid receivers & indicators (a GPS, ADF or VOR) to conduct a IFR training.** Your aircraft will also need, unfortunately for you, a glide slope to demonstrate a precision approach on the flight test- this is only required for initial instrument ratings. Transponder required airspace maybe a problem?

**I believe it's reasonable to depart being prepared to dead reckon a reasonable space in the event of a radio navigation aid failure. Anyone else?

Link from the Aeronautical Information Manual on "Certification of Maintenance Preformed Outside of Canada"
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/p ... #lra-5-4-2

Finally, I've had a Canadian Boarder Service Agents go through journey log looking for any out of country repairs recently. I'm not sure of the monetary fee reality but I believe it's the reason they ask and look as suggested. I've also been ramp checked by TC maintenance inspectors. YVR south terminal in a piston commercial machine. They did go through the logs and asked about placards etc. I also was ramp checked in the US, the inspector wanted to see the STC for the Q-tip propellers.

Return to “General Comments”