500 Hours!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

500 Hours!

Post by TopperHarley »

Well, I just wanted to share with everyone here that I crossed the 500 hour "milestone!" I just returned from a 2 week trip yesterday that took me from Southwestern Ontario (Windsor) all the way to the east coast and back. I was taking pictures over the major cities (ottawa, montreal, quebec city toronto, charlettown, halifax), and it was a great experience. The worst part of the trip was getting stuck in Halifax for 6 days because of bad weather! I spend 5 nights in the "airport hotel" in YHZ- for all you crew that spend overnites there, you know how boring it can be, as the airport is 30 km from the city!! I also got stuck in Quebec City for 3 nights due to bad weather, and that wasnt fun either. Overall, it was a great experience, and I learned a lot flying half-way across the country in an old C152!

One thing I also learned on this trip is the importance of a good lifestyle. I always thought that it would be "fun" to spend time away from home, living from hotel-to-hotel... but in reality, it was not fun at all. For every day of my trip, I never knew where I was going to be spending the nite. I simply flew until I could fly no longer (fatigue) or until the weather held me down. Once I landed, I had to worry about finding a hotel, dinner, etc etc. I now see the importance of stability and a good lifestyle (i.e. being able to spend as much time at home as possible!) I also missed the Memorial Cup hockey tournament, where my home-town London Knights won it all!!

Anyway, thanks for all the support over the past few years and to everyone who have answered my many questions!

Chris.
---------- ADS -----------

‎"Never travel faster than your guardian angel can fly." - Mother Theresa
Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

Congratulations.

Last edited by Tango01 on Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Timing is everything.
scabber
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by scabber »

G-REAT!!

DriftWood
Rank 1
Rank 1

Hotel

Post by DriftWood »

Hotel to Hotel? Try the driver side to the pax side car seat as an option of sleeping. Then you will feel what away from home feels like.

Switchfoot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Switchfoot »

Congrats on the 500 hour mark! Good things will start to happen for those who persevere!!

Clear skies! 8)

Switchfoot.

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Hotel

Post by TopperHarley »

freeze791 wrote:Hotel to Hotel? Try the driver side to the pax side car seat as an option of sleeping. Then you will feel what away from home feels like.
I was considering sleeping in the plane or the FBOs, but my boss insisted on me staying in a hotel. Since he covered all my expenses, I figured it would be best to sleep in a bed, instead of a 152 ;)

Miss Mae
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Miss Mae »

Hey C-HRIS

Congrats to ya!....all your hard work is paying off! Good job! :D

Blue Side Down
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Blue Side Down »

Congrats!

I do believe that is a milestone at which the 'case of beer' rule applies. :lol:

Yoyoma
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Yoyoma »

Blue Side Down wrote:I do believe that is a milestone at which the 'case of beer' rule applies. :lol:
That rule applies to every 50 hour milestone!! 8)

Congrats Chris!! Out of curiosity, what do you do in that C152?

Image In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield...W. Buffett
scotothedoublet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by scotothedoublet »

The worst part of the trip was getting stuck in Halifax for 6 days because of bad weather! I spend 5 nights in the "airport hotel" in YHZ- for all you crew that spend overnites there, you know how boring it can be, as the airport is 30 km from the city!! I also got stuck in Quebec City for 3 nights due to bad weather, and that wasnt fun either.
Other than St John's I don't think you can do much better than Q City or Halifax in Canada for a stop over. If those spots were the worse parts it was either one awsome trip or you're working way too hard.

Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

Yoyoma wrote:
Congrats Chris!! Out of curiosity, what do you do in that C152?
Are you sure you want to know?

Congrats Chris! Did you fly through Rockcliffe along your travels?

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

Thanks for the support!

Yeah, it was in a 152. It's an old plane but I enjoy flying it. The big problem I have is its speed. I was lucky to break a groundspeed of 90 knots! The lowest I had was 50 knots out of YQB- I was going from YQB to YQM and had a direct 40 knot headwind almost the entire way :shock:

Don't get me wrong- YQB and YHZ are nice places (especially YQB). The problem was that our layovers occured due to bad weather, so I couldn't really do much city touring. Also, I tried to stay in the closest/cheapest hotel to the airports, and unfortunately, the downtown tends to be quite the distance from the airport. I do have a friend though in YHZ and he showed me around. I went on a tour of the Alexander Keith's Brewery which was pretty interesting (although I still am not a fan of the beer). Also, there is a bar right across from the Citadel called the Alehouse, where you can get a pitcher of beer and 20 wings for $7.50!

LostinRotation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by LostinRotation »

Great job C-HRIS. Also great score in getting it paid for ;)
Share your secret ?
It sounds like you've learned a few lessons along the way and have an awsome trip under your belt. Very well done.

-=0=LIR=0=-

Sometimes I think it's a shame when I get feelin' better when I'm feelin no pain.

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

I'm jealous as SH*T!!

Cheers! :partyman:
-istp :D

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

Thanks again.

Yes, I did fly directly over Rockliff, but did not stop there. Flying along the Ottawa River and the St. Laurent was very scenic.

I made stops at the following places: CYRP, CYHU, CYRQ, CYQB, CYSL, CYQM, CYYG, and CYHZ. I love the Esso (Stationair) FBO at CYQB. There is a woman that works there and she has to be the hottest FBO girl of all time.

As far as my secret to getting everything paid for... well, there is none. My boss is very good with things like this. 2 days before I left on this trip, my boss sent me to NYC to pick up some equipment (I was supposed to fly there myself, but there was not enough time, and the weather was bad... I got a call friday night at 9pm from my boss asking me to go to NYC the following day!). For that trip I had to drive to DTW to fly out of there, and my boss gave me the keys to his SUV to drive there! I was shocked about that and was pleased to finally drive a car with air conditioning and a CD player :)

Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

Congratulations on the milestone eh!

500 down, 19,500 to go before you get to retire ;)

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

500 down, 19,500 to go before you get to retire
Very nice, and possibly true... of course, I'm at 23000 and have about the same amount of time to do before Mrs Curious'll let me retire. :roll:

FUBAR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FUBAR »

...the cute little brunette in CYQB. She is nice!

TopperHarley
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TopperHarley »

FUBAR wrote:...the cute little brunette in CYQB. She is nice!
Amen! I would be shocked to ever run into a hotter FBO girl than her (maybe you could find some in California however)!

FUBAR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FUBAR »

Did you end up walking across the taxiway to go for breakfast in that little restaurant?

Return to “General Comments”