Ethiopian Boeing 787 new route CYYZ start Nov 9 2012

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Ethiopian Boeing 787 new route CYYZ start Nov 9 2012

Post by bizjets101 »

Addis Ababa – Toronto eff 09NOV12 Boeing 787 replaces 777-200LR. Westbound service operates via Rome
ET502 ADD2230 – 0340+1FCO0440+1 – 0810+1YYZ 788 15
ET503 YYZ1100 – 0820+1ADD 788 26

Link 1 Thanx Brian Dunn YYZ News

Ethiopian B787 website Thanx Tom Podolec CTV

ET-AOQ Boeing 787 Dreamliner
Boeing Test Flight Blog
---------- ADS -----------

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Ethiopian Boeing 787 new route CYYZ start Nov 9 2012

Post by FICU »

It's a shame that no part of that machine resembles a Boeing... especially the ugly nose and Windows.

arctic ocean
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by arctic ocean »

Ya know the nose is kinda like the Comet with fewer windows...

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

The most optimum aerodynamic nose shape to ever come out of a windtunnel test can be found on the de Havilland Comet. Aerodynamic drag reduction and airflow noise reduction its greatest benefit.
Knowing this, take a look at the nose profile of the B787, A350 and CSeries.
A sign of things to come?
Reduced drag.
Reduced fuel cost.
You tell me.

opie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by opie »

Having recently flown Ethionpian's 787 service Addis Ababa to Dulles I can say without hesitation that the stop over in Rome for 'one hour' is a disaster. We were there at least two hours, you can't get off the airplane as it isn't parked at a terminal and they don't let you sleep, or give you anything to do as they turn off the entertainment system. Oh and the plane was sold out, all exit rows seats appeared to be taken by staff going on vacation. I am rather tall and called to request an exit row 3 weeks before, and even showed up very early at the airport.

My total time on board the aircraft was a touch over 20 hours. They only appear to have 16 seats in business class (not even flat beds), 4 of them on my flight were reserved for dead heading crew. Kind of screwed me when I tried to use Aeroplan points to upgrade.. but I'm not bitter.. :)

Oh, and don't try and order a gluten free meal, it won't arrive as the flight attendants (including the incharge) had no idea what GFML meant...

Suffice to say it wasn't a pleasant trip, and many many people missed their connections home including 2 of my coworkers.

The airplane inside is otherwise nice and the seats seem to recline a bit more than normal. But a lot of the fixtures on the airplane, trays, lav doors, etc.. all feel like very cheap and flimsy plastic, must be part of the effort to keep the weight down.

Oh, and don't expect a reply to an email complaint to Ethiopian. It's been a week and so far nothing.

Next time I'm going to avoid Ethiopian (at least in the West bound direction) and go through Europe.

Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rudy »

So basically you traveled halfway around the world from Ethiopia(!) to the United States and were an hour late. They didn't have the right food to suit your specialized diet and you had to sit in the seat you paid for.

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

Rudy wrote:So basically you traveled halfway around the world from Ethiopia(!) to the United States and were an hour late. They didn't have the right food to suit your specialized diet and you had to sit in the seat you paid for.
That's what the complaints department thought.

More on topic, I like the nose. Not traditional to Boeing in anyway but I think it looks good. I think the engine cowls are pretty cool looking too. I saw a Lufthansa 747-8 the other day with the same style engine cowls... looked pretty slick.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

I was thinking more like a Caravelle than Comet! But they're both close.

opie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by opie »

Yes I am complaining, but I feel with cause.

Not having gluten free food one can safely eat during 20 hour period while stuck on an airplane is a BIG deal. Eating gluten accidentally can lead to immediate stomach issues and takes 6-8 weeks for the inflammation reaction in the upper intestine to settle. People underestimate this all the time. Many airlines mess up special meal requests and I have yet to have one carry the ingredients list for the food they are serving. I believe this should be a requirement.

We were 2 1/2 hours late arriving in Dulles due to an additional delay leaving Addis. And yes, I got the seat that was paid for, but taking a 17.5 hour flight and turning it into a 20 hour one and making many people miss connections all because of a very very slow and uncoordinated technical stop is something to complain about. It didn't have to be slow. In part this is the airlines issue and in part whoever does their ground handling.

On-time stats: 50% isn't something to write home about. http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightRat ... rtCode=IAD

The airplane itself is nice, but the service from Star Alliance's newest member is not up to standard. As someone who travels a lot for work I was disappointed. Just because it is a new and pretty airplane doesn't mean that the experience of the customers can be less so.

Go plane spotting and take pretty pictures of the 787 or whatever the point of this thread is apparently. I just strongly advise against taking either of Ethiopian's service to Addis Ababa from either Dulles or Toronto.

goaroundthrust
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by goaroundthrust »

what airline serves gluten free food ?

wirez
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by wirez »

AC does.

Longtimer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Longtimer »

Opie: Did you check prior to your flight to see if they offered Gluten Free meals??? As for what other carriers offer, some require that you make your request for special meals well in advance of departure time, others carry a limited stock of "special meals" onboard. All who offer special meals advertise on their websites that they do, those who are silent on the subject obviously don't.

To assume that your special needs will be met by all, is not exactly wise.

Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rudy »

opie wrote: On-time stats: 50% isn't something to write home about. http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightRat ... rtCode=IAD

Here's the stats for a long-haul Air Canada flight I take a lot:
http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightRat ... rtCode=NRT

It has the same 50% on-time performance rating as your flight. Air Canada who, as they constantly remind us, are the best airline in North America.

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

opie wrote: We were 2 1/2 hours late arriving in Dulles due to an additional delay leaving Addis. And yes, I got the seat that was paid for, but taking a 17.5 hour flight and turning it into a 20 hour one and making many people miss connections all because of a very very slow and uncoordinated technical stop is something to complain about. It didn't have to be slow. In part this is the airlines issue and in part whoever does their ground handling.
I might have been on that exact same flight. Was it early October?

I can definitely second everything you're saying. I was extremely excited for my first trip on the 787 but after the 2.5 hour delay leaving Addis, and the extra hour delay in Rome I was thoroughly disappointed. Spending over 20 hours in a full plane isn't my idea of fun to say the least. We landed in Dulles well over 3 hours late and my connection was in serious jeopardy. Fortunately I met a few nice airport workers who helped me out.

In all honestly Ethiopian has never impressed me at all but I was really hoping for something different on this flight. I would love to see what this aircraft would be like if operated by an airline like KLM.

I will tell you though it's a pretty weird feeling having to lower your head almost to your knees to try and see the wing tips. The wing flex is incredible. And although I didn't have a window seat I made it a point press the button to dim the windows. I thought that was pretty cool. I like how the flight attendants can override the window dimmers so in the middle of the Atlantic with everyone trying to sleep you don't have that one jackass with his window shade up and the sun beaming in.

Cheers,
Chax

Bolter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Bolter »

Saw them towing it around the ramp last week in Addis.
I do get a chuckle though when people talk about an Africian Airline running late. They are operating on Africian time; i.e. nothing runs on schedule!
I came over on the direct Taranta to Addis flt (767). We also stopped in Rome for an hour - nothing on the itinerary about that? Anyhow, managed to make Addis only 2.5 hrs late, but surprise, surprise, my connection was also late so even my bags made it to destination. There is something to be said for consistency! :roll:

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I think Opie has a ligitamte grievance. Having said that, food complaints while flying on an airline from a country world famous for food shortages, does seem funny.

raven54
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by raven54 »

Hey Chax, Ethiopian is a miserable experience to be sure. I've threatened you know who with violence if I'm booked with them again. 2 hrs on the ground in Rome to switch crews and fuel?? Insane!! At least their IFES is top drawer :roll: Have you had the pleasure of boarding the '37 in Addis? What a sh#t show!!

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

Dude everything is a sh!t show with that airline. I've never been less impressed with an airline before. And I flew with Safi, Afghanistan's flag carrier!

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

I'm surprised that they would attempt a 1 hour turn on a big jet like that. I wonder how long just to fuel up.

And I would be a bit hesitant eating food from that part of the world. Perhaps you were fortunate.

Genetk44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Genetk44 »

I believe Ariana is the flag carrier of Afghanistan.
Chaxterium wrote:Dude everything is a sh!t show with that airline. I've never been less impressed with an airline before. And I flew with Safi, Afghanistan's flag carrier!

Return to “General Comments”