RCAF History Forum

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: RCAF History Forum

Post by Old Dog Flying »

A couple more from my old stomping ground, Boundary Bay, BC

Note the lack of a spinner on the Hurricane..this version, a Mk XII was equipped with a Hamilton-Standard prop and the spinners would not fit over the hub.

---------- ADS -----------

Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

G'day

Here are brief descriptions pertaining to the Mitchell and Liberator prangs in Barney's great photos.

On the 10th of August, 1944, Mitchell s/n FW274 and coded AO-274 crashed at 22:30 hours immediately after take-off, while heading out on a nighttime bombing exercise. It ended up in Mud Bay about 600 yards off the end of Runway 12. The pilot J23276 Flying Officer W. J. C. Jackson stated that the crash was not a result of airframe or engine failure but that he relaxed his attention from his instruments momentarily to look ahead and crashed immediately afterwards. R171043 L.A.C. Norman McCallum Campbell from Montreal, Quebec, an airframe mechanic, was the sole fatality.

Liberator s/n EW130 with a crew of eight were out testing the aircraft on the 4th of September, 1944. They experienced smoke from a brush fire while setting up to land. The skipper, J7078 Flight Lieutenant W. S. Forbes used both landing lights which may have blocked his vision where the lights struck the smoke. The aircraft undershot and struck a dead tree losing the port inner propeller and port undercarriage at 21:18 hours. The aircraft was written off.

Cheers...Chris

Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

G'day

Here is another shot of R.C.A.F. Goose s/n 926 for bmc.

Cheers...Chris

Attachments
Goose926A.jpg
Goose926A.jpg (73.76 KiB) Viewed 4945 times
bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

Thanks Chris. I have an original black and white of that image in my dad's scrap book.

About 15 years ago, an aquaintance designed a Goose for fltsim. A friend who is a Canadian aviation historian, sent accurate colours for 926 and they were used for the fltsim. After years of looking at B&W images, it was something else to see the plane in simulation.

Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

G'day

Here is a photo of an Avro 504K. What makes this particular aircraft special is that it was built by Canadian Aeroplanes Limited of Toronto, Ontario. Two aircraft (R.A.F. s/n's C1501 and C1502) were built and delivered in October and November, 1918.

Neither the manufacturer or the RAF (Canada) had a designation for the Canadian version. To differentiate between the British-built Avro 504's and the Canadian built aircraft, they settled on calling it the Avro 504 (Canadian). What made the 130 horsepower Clerget 9B-powered Canadian version unique was that the manufacturer used Curtiss JN-4 (Canadian) fittings as a means of minimizing the need for new tooling as well as a new complete undercarriage with three legs on each side. The engine cowling was slightly different. A pair of instruments were mounted ahead of the front cockpit outside of the coaming.

On the 1st of October, 1918, the prototype aircraft s/n C15021 was delivered to the School of Aerial Fighting at Beamsville, Ontario. While there it was test flown by Captain A. E. 'Earl' Godfrey MC. His passenger in the back seat was the General Superintendent of Canadian Aeroplanes Limited, Mr. G. N. Duffy. Incidentally, Captain Godfrey would go on to become Air Vice-Marshal Godfrey MC of the Royal Canadian Air Force.

As a result of the Armistice that ended the First World War, the original order for 500 of this aircraft type signed in July, 1918 was canceled only after two were built.

A proposed order by the U. S. Army for 100 aircraft was not carried through due to the unavailability of the 100 horsepower Gnome Monosoupapes engine which the Americans were to supply.

The fate of C1501 and C1502 remain a mystery although it had been stated by Mr. G. N. Duffy that C1502 and parts for eight other aircraft were purchased by Mr. F. G. Ericson and his associates. They may have ended up in the United States as there is no record of either having been used in Canada other than initial flying trials by the military.

Cheers...Chris

Attachments
504C1502.jpg
504C1502.jpg (181.72 KiB) Viewed 4838 times
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

More World War I stuff. I want to read about Camels and Nieuports.

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

OK Beef: This Camel was flown by a famous Canadian who saved another famous Canadian during a low level fight over France...he is connected to the Red Baron...Who is he?

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Old Dog Flying wrote:OK Beef: This Camel was flown by a famous Canadian who saved another famous Canadian during a low level fight over France...he is connected to the Red Baron...Who is he?
That would be Captain Roy Brown, Barney, bailing out Wop May's ass by going after Baron Manfred von Richtofen (although a number of Australians took and would continue to take issue with that claim).

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

Beef: This Nieuport 17 was flown by another very famous Canadian who destroyed 72 enemy aircraft. He has 2 airports named after him. Who is he>

Tom H
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Tom H »

YYZSaabGuy wrote:
Old Dog Flying wrote:OK Beef: This Camel was flown by a famous Canadian who saved another famous Canadian during a low level fight over France...he is connected to the Red Baron...Who is he?
That would be Captain Roy Brown, Barney, bailing out Wop May's ass by going after Baron Manfred von Richtofen (although a number of Australians took and would continue to take issue with that claim).
Ya know

I remember reading articles from the day (from archives I'm not that old lol) that many had issue with an unknown "Colonial" have downed Von Richtofen.

Then there is the whole Aussie thing.

Far as I am concerned...the Royal Air Force credited Brown with the downing and until the RAF changes their records it's Brown.

In my highly biased personal opinion

Tom

Tom H
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Tom H »

The Neuiport...I'm betting Bishop IIRC

Tom

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Roy Brown was a pretty humble man. He was actually fine with the Aussies taking credit for the kill. It's really an unsolved mystery as far as I know.

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

Tom: You and the Saabguy are both correct. Both models are 1:48 scale and very tiny. I have another Camel that is unfinished that was flown by another very famous CDN pilot who, although severely wounded continued fighting a very large gaggle of Huns and destroyed 6 aircraft in the fight.

He later died in a flying demonstration after the Great War.

Barney

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

Old Dog Flying wrote:Tom: You and the Saabguy are both correct. Both models are 1:48 scale and very tiny. I have another Camel that is unfinished that was flown by another very famous CDN pilot who, although severely wounded continued fighting a very large gaggle of Huns and destroyed 6 aircraft in the fight.

Barney
That would of course be Billy Barker from Dauphin Manitoba who died in a crash near Rockliffe. My late grandfather from the nearby town of Gilbert Plains knew him before the war.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

shitdisturber wrote:
Old Dog Flying wrote:Tom: You and the Saabguy are both correct. Both models are 1:48 scale and very tiny. I have another Camel that is unfinished that was flown by another very famous CDN pilot who, although severely wounded continued fighting a very large gaggle of Huns and destroyed 6 aircraft in the fight.

Barney
That would of course be Billy Barker from Dauphin Manitoba who died in a crash near Rockliffe. My late grandfather from the nearby town of Gilbert Plains knew him before the war.
It would indeed be William G. Barker, VC. A helluva brave combat pilot and it's always been a mystery to me why memories of his contribution have dimmed so much since his death in a Rocklcliffe flying accident in 1930.

The combat action which earned him his VC pitted him solo against sixty - sixty - enemy aircraft. Here is the citation from the award of his Victoria Cross: ""On the morning of the 27 October 1918, this officer observed an enemy two-seater over the Foret de Mormal. He attacked this machine and after a short burst it broke up in the air. At the same time a Fokker biplane attacked him, and he was wounded in the right thigh, but managed, despite this, to shoot down the enemy aeroplane in flames. He then found himself in the middle of a large formation of Fokkers who attacked him from all directions, and was again severely wounded in the left thigh, but succeeded in driving down two of the enemy in a spin. He lost consciousness after that, and his machine fell out of control. On recovery, he found himself being again attacked heavily by a large formation, and singling out one machine he deliberately charged and drove it down in flames. During this fight his left elbow was shattered and he again fainted, and on regaining consciousness he found himself still being attacked, but notwithstanding that he was now severely wounded in both legs and his left arm shattered, he dived on the nearest machine and shot it down in flames. Being greatly exhausted, he dived out of the fight to regain our lines, but was met by another formation, which attacked and endeavored to cut him off, but after a hard fight he succeeded in breaking up this formation and reached our lines, where he crashed on landing. This combat, in which Major Barker destroyed four enemy machines (three of them in flames), brought his total successes to fifty enemy machines destroyed, and is a notable example of the exceptional bravery and disregard of danger which this very gallant officer has always displayed throughout his distinguished career." VC citation, London Gazette, 30 November 1918"

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

Barker married into a very wealthy Toronto family and after his death he was buried in a crypt under his wife's family name. This was certainly no way to treat a national hero.

Barney

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Agreed, Barney, that was odd, although likely a family decision.

Barker's funeral service, which attracted over 50,000 people (from a City of 800,000 residents!) and which was at that time the largest national state event in Toronto's history, combined a 2,000-man honour guard, the Chief of the General Staff and his senior officers, representatives from the federal, provincial and municipal governments, and six other Victoria Cross recipients together with an honour guard from the US Army and a flypast. It was a suitable commemoration for the most decorated serviceman in Commonwealth history.

As you probably know, a new memorial was unveiled in September 2011, incorporating a monument cast from the propeller of a Sopwith Snipe, the plane Barker flew on his most famous flight, embedded in and jutting upward from a granite block.

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

I do not have Wayne Ralph's book on Barker but would you know which model of the Snipe, Early or Late, and the serial number of the aircraft?

There is a beautiful, highly detailed kit of the Snipe , 1:32 scale, which I would like to build if I can get photos and details of the aircraft.

Barney

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Old Dog Flying wrote:I do not have Wayne Ralph's book on Barker but would you know which model of the Snipe, Early or Late, and the serial number of the aircraft?

There is a beautiful, highly detailed kit of the Snipe , 1:32 scale, which I would like to build if I can get photos and details of the aircraft.

Barney
I just ordered Ralph's book this morning - if those details are included, I'll certainly be happy to pass them along. That said, I wonder if Moose47's voluminous archives might include the information? He seems to have something on pretty much every aircraft the RCAF ever operated.

FWIW, there's a thread on another site http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/2001/ ... snipe.html which claims that Barker's aircraft was a Sopwith 7F1 Snipe - can't vouch for its accuracy, obviously. Another site http://cutandfold.info/cutandfoldforum/ ... opic=131.0 claims Barker's was S/N E8102, and I've found this same serial number reference on other sites. Finally, I just found out through some casual surfing that the fuselage of Barker's Snipe is held (and I believe on display) at the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa.

beech 18
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by beech 18 »

April 13, 2013

This RCAF history forum is excellent.
I enjoy reading every posting.
Thanks

Return to “General Comments”