Chisel Charters?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re:

Post by CpnCrunch »

Beefitarian wrote:Is there questions about it in the cpl written?
Or the instructor rating? You'd think instructors would need to know the CARs inside out seeing as they're teaching it.
---------- ADS -----------

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Chisel Charters?

Post by Colonel Sanders »

If you look at the CPL study guide, TP2476E:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/p ... 1-3427.htm

It certainly references CAR 70x but sure as
heck doesn't explain it very well, or help you
interpret it, which is why I wrote that note
(above).

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Most of the references are not very good, that's how Mike C sells so many of his books.

I doubt it was a student, licensed private pilot or an instructor that ran the ad. Most likely a CPL thinking it was ok because of it.

Though before I ever took any flight training a guy I knew had a buddy who took us up for a ride and pre arranged that we all chipped in. I don't recall if he had a CPL or PPL.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I have some questions.
Is your November 1st flight booked? And how much is it?

GUMPS
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GUMPS »

I don't agree with people pulling these charters. They need to be busted.
Why call TC when there is Avcanada Users

Last edited by GUMPS on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
pilotidentity
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pilotidentity »

Right now is the best time to run a Chisel, TC doesn't have the resources to shut them down. Not saying its a good idea - just don't expect anything to be done about it.

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

Ya'know.....maybe instead of warming up the tar and feathers for this chisel charter fellow, we should instead turn our anger on the bureaucrats who have made getting an OC nigh on impossible.
Enter Cat and Hedley stage right.........

GUMPS
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GUMPS »

mcrit wrote:Ya'know.....maybe instead of warming up the tar and feathers for this chisel charter fellow, we should instead turn our anger on the bureaucrats who have made getting an OC nigh on impossible.
Enter Cat and Hedley stage right.........
You really think these guys trying make money building up their PIC time for their CPL even know where to even start looking into getting an OC?

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

A number of airlines in Canada started out as chisel charter companies. That what happens when you started your business in past years and it took two or more years to get approval. Happened to me in 1978. I had to fly to pay for the plane I had bought and had to have in advance to get the OC. So, Yes, I was a chisel charter operator for awhile.
Bob

GUMPS
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GUMPS »

beaverbob wrote:A number of airlines in Canada started out as chisel charter companies. That what happens when you started your business in past years and it took two or more years to get approval. Happened to me in 1978. I had to fly to pay for the plane I had bought and had to have in advance to get the OC. So, Yes, I was a chisel charter operator for awhile.
Bob
Did you own the airplane or were you doing these charters out of flight school's aircraft? Can't be sure that's what is going on with these specific kijiji adds but it has been the case in many of the adds in previous months.

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

Was not trying to compare to the above, only trying to point out that many chisel charter operators became ligitimate operators after a time. I owned my plane with a bank loan that had to be paid. It took a minimum of two years to get charter approval befor deregulation.
Bob

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

pilotidentity wrote:Right now is the best time to run a Chisel, TC doesn't have the resources to shut them down. Not saying its a good idea - just don't expect anything to be done about it.
Doesn't take much for them to suspend a licence.

'CauseTheCaravanCan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 'CauseTheCaravanCan »

beaverbob wrote:A number of airlines in Canada started out as chisel charter companies. That what happens when you started your business in past years and it took two or more years to get approval. Happened to me in 1978. I had to fly to pay for the plane I had bought and had to have in advance to get the OC. So, Yes, I was a chisel charter operator for awhile.
Bob
WITCH!!!!

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Don't you mean which?

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

My guess is that he meant witch as in witch hunt.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Let me get this straight.

There are some here who think so called chisel charters are reason to want the people doing it to be " busted " .

So to be a good Canadian you must jump through all the hoops by getting the proper pilots license and airplane and all the other things TC requires as well as providing reams of paper work that will be returned because some bureaucrat does not like the way you worded it.

You can wait for up to two years while they push paper to approve your O.C.

If you do any flying during that time frame you are a bad Canadian, because you are going broke waiting?

The only reason I can see not to do so called chisel charters is the liability risk if you have an accident.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Yeah, that's YOU. I see plenty the matter with some mentally deficient whacko with a 185 undercutting all the legitimate float carriers in the area by "secretly" taking people to their lodges or whatever, burning Mogas without an STC, maintaining his plane to private standards (if at all) and never having participated in any kind of recurrent training or evaluation since he got his license thirty years ago (if he ever did) You know they're out there, and it's not right. Personally I think it's a travesty that TC can't process an application for an OC in a timely fashion, and I agree that they are a bunch of boobs for the most part, but I regard their standards as MINIMUM, and there are plenty of guys out there who don't even reach those standards, and there is no way to regulate that unless a few of them get turned in every now and then. I have sympathy for someone who has done everything right and needs to start flying his plane in order to stay out of the poorhouse, but you know as well as I do that most "chisel charterers' are just bank-beavers who can't be bothered to do things the right way.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Your points are valid meatservo, and I'm with you as far as most chisel charterers go, they are maggots.

However the truth is the maggots can and do get O. C.'s and operate in complete disregard for all the rules and regulations once they get the certificates.

Seems the O.C.' s are not much more than make work projcets for T.C.'s drones.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Cat Driver wrote:
However the truth is the maggots can and do get O. C.'s and operate in complete disregard for all the rules and regulations once they get the certificates.

And some are allowed to keep them after multiple fatal accidents due to the company culture and complete disregard for safety!

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

And some are allowed to keep them after multiple fatal accidents due to the company culture and complete disregard for safety!
Just imagine how much better aviation would be if T.C. were to be as diligent at enforcing their rules as they are nit picking the wording in the O.C. applications.

Return to “General Comments”