To stop or not to stop in Keflavik, Iceland

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Cod Father
Rank 4
Rank 4

To stop or not to stop in Keflavik, Iceland

Post by Cod Father »

I know if a loaded B737 were to leave YVR, or YEG, or YYC it would have to make a technical stop in Iceland in order to reach Ireland or the UK.

Would there be any similar size or next size up aircraft that could make a run from YVR, YYC, or YEG to say, Shannon, Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, or London (all airport)?
---------- ADS -----------

Flyboy757
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: To stop or not to stop in Keflavik, Iceland

Post by Flyboy757 »

FYI. At Canada 3000 we used to do YYC and YVR to Europe BUT had to do the "tech stop" in KEF. Both east and westbound it was needed. We were using B757/200`s with RR engines.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I'd say 757-200 is your best bet for the smallest airliner that can do it non-stop but it can be a stretch even for some 767/A310. Wikipedia says 757-200 with winglet range is 4100 nm, which is about YVR-LHR. You are going to be doing a tech stop on the way back for sure though.

Flyboy757, I would think that with the winds you would have made it non stop on some days no?

I'd just go for the 787 or A350 and then you don't need to worry about it.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Wouldn't it be cheaper to set up a base in Canada or Newfoundland for this stop?

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

Wouldn't it be cheaper to set up a base in Canada or Newfoundland for this stop?
The now-defunct Astraeus Airlines used to fly to Deer Lake direct from London with the 737-700. Stanstead I think they were out of, wasn't Heathrow.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Siddley Hawker wrote:
The now-defunct Astraeus Airlines used to fly to Deer Lake direct from London with the 737-700. Stanstead I think they were out of, wasn't Heathrow.
OP is trying to go from Calgary or Vancouver to the UK. I'm thinking you need fuel and whatever else you're taking a look at would cost less if you had someone do it before you leave North America.

capt.pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by capt.pilot »

Beefitarian wrote:
Siddley Hawker wrote:
OP is trying to go from Calgary or Vancouver to the UK. I'm thinking you need fuel and whatever else you're taking a look at would cost less if you had someone do it before you leave North America.
I think you need to consider the route and distance first.. For instance flying Direct from YVR to YYR (Goose Bay) and then to EGBE (Coventry England), a leg I have made a few times, the distance is about 4368 NM Total.. Going through KEf its only , 4024 NM.. How much more does that fuel you burn in that extra 344 NM Cost you in YYR versus the cost in Kef for fuel..

Just a thought..

pika
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pika »

I know if a loaded B737 were to leave YVR, or YEG, or YYC it would have to make a technical stop in Iceland in order to reach Ireland or the UK.
What version of the 737 are you referring to?

Cod Father
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cod Father »

pika wrote:
What version of the 737 are you referring to?
737 - 700

Flyboy757
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Flyboy757 »

"Flyboy757, I would think that with the winds you would have made it non stop on some days no?"

Probably IF you had good winds and UK was the destination but you still need to stop W/B. We were going deep into Europe, as far as Munich. We had a crew base in KEF to avoid any possibility of running out of crew day. Do not recall anyone having to stop short KEF-YYC.

Iceland was bloody expensive. I agree a Canadian "tech stop " may be cheaper. keep the associated jobs in Canada.

Darkwing Duck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Darkwing Duck »

If you are wanting to tech in BIFK then also consider YFB. You are practically flying over it if coming out of YYC, YVR or YEG. Plus it is on Canadian soil. Also if you go mechanical customs for the crew or pax or foreign maintenance forms are not an issue.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

capt.pilot wrote:How much more does that fuel you burn in that extra 344 NM Cost you in YYR versus the cost in Kef for fuel..

Just a thought..
This is what I'm asking. Is fuel more expensive in Vancouver than Iceland. Maybe buy less there and stop sooner where it is less expensive.

Another option though for sure farther, is it more expensive or even just more trouble to stop in the US?

If you are adding 10% distance and saving 30% on part of the fuel it may still not be a net saving but if it is...

For the most part I am thinking this..
Flyboy757 wrote: Iceland was bloody expensive. I agree a Canadian "tech stop " may be cheaper. keep the associated jobs in Canada.
Also on a long trip like that if you can find a spot with a nice food fare in the terminal. A stretch and some good food would make me want to fly that route with you next time.

I flew with Air Canada from Calgary to Heathrow in 2000. It was my first time on a commercial plane. They stopped in Toronto to put us on the big plane for the rest of the trip. It was a long ride even though they let us out during the stop over. Staying on the plane the whole time in the back would be harsh.

Then again I have been on a few shorter trips with United and Delta that were much worse experiences even though I have short legs for my height.

Flyboy757
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Flyboy757 »

C3 actually advertised the stop in KEF as a once in a lifetime experience... get those Icelandic sweaters!I believe it was a scheduled 90 min turn. From my recollection the flights always operated at or near capacity (226 seats) and seemed to be a hit with the pax. food was expensive there too! Not a cheap country to visit...IMO.

Last edited by Flyboy757 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Flyboy757 wrote:C3 actually advertised the stop in KEF as a once in a lifetime experience... get those Icelandic sweaters!I believe it was a scheduled 90 min turn. From my recollection the flights always operated at or near capacity (226 seats) and seamed to be a hit with the pax. food was expensive there too! Not a cheap country to visit...IMO.
I looked into a stop-over in Iceland from Canada to the UK on a commercial flight a while ago, but there doesn't seem to be any easy/cheap way of doing it at present. Iceland is certainly an interesting place to visit, and if you could allow passengers to stop over for a few days before continuing, I think you could sell it.

Flyboy757
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Flyboy757 »

CpnCrunch wrote:
Flyboy757 wrote:C3 actually advertised the stop in KEF as a once in a lifetime experience... get those Icelandic sweaters!I believe it was a scheduled 90 min turn. From my recollection the flights always operated at or near capacity (226 seats) and seamed to be a hit with the pax. food was expensive there too! Not a cheap country to visit...IMO.
I looked into a stop-over in Iceland from Canada to the UK on a commercial flight a while ago, but there doesn't seem to be any easy/cheap way of doing it at present. Iceland is certainly an interesting place to visit, and if you could allow passengers to stop over for a few days before continuing, I think you could sell it.
Iceland Air used to operate out of New York if I recall. NYC to KEF...visit then Iceland Air into Europe...but you are right ...not cheap.

capt.pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by capt.pilot »

Beefitarian wrote:
capt.pilot wrote:How much more does that fuel you burn in that extra 344 NM Cost you in YYR versus the cost in Kef for fuel..

Just a thought..
This is what I'm asking. Is fuel more expensive in Vancouver than Iceland. Maybe buy less there and stop sooner where it is less expensive.

Another option though for sure farther, is it more expensive or even just more trouble to stop in the US?

If you are adding 10% distance and saving 30% on part of the fuel it may still not be a net saving but if it is...

For the most part I am thinking this..
Flyboy757 wrote: Iceland was bloody expensive. I agree a Canadian "tech stop " may be cheaper. keep the associated jobs in Canada.
Also on a long trip like that if you can find a spot with a nice food fare in the terminal. A stretch and some good food would make me want to fly that route with you next time.

I flew with Air Canada from Calgary to Heathrow in 2000. It was my first time on a commercial plane. They stopped in Toronto to put us on the big plane for the rest of the trip. It was a long ride even though they let us out during the stop over. Staying on the plane the whole time in the back would be harsh.

Then again I have been on a few shorter trips with United and Delta that were much worse experiences even though I have short legs for my height.
So a quick check of fuel prices revealed the following:

Jet A-1 in YFB $1.80 CAD Per Litre
Jet A-1 in YYR $1.39 CAD Per Litre
Jet A-1 in BIKF $3.29 USD Per USG (at 3.78 per gallon that works out to $.87 USD a Litre at todays exhcange of .9853 CAD to 1 USD or .8572 CAD Per Litre..

I can't imagine YVR is much more than YYR, but it would seem that BIKF is a good place to stop financially, timewise, and hell if they can sell the stopover good on them..

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Huh, Iceland sounds cheaper. Seems odd. I have no idea how accurate it is but, I found an other site claiming Jet-A for even less there.

star57
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re:

Post by star57 »

Beefitarian wrote:Huh, Iceland sounds cheaper. Seems odd. I have no idea how accurate it is but, I found an other site claiming Jet-A for even less there.

Gentlemen, whatever price of fuel you find on the web will be irrelevant, when you operate a 737 you will negotiate a price based on quantity, I filled up an L-39 with Jet A1 at YYC about two months ago and I paid 1.14 per liter, if I was Joe Blow from XYZ coming in on my DA42 or TBM 700 I would have paid 1.68.

Its all about economies of scale.

Regards

amraam
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by amraam »

Something to consider...

Eastbound - stop in BIKF for the cheap fuel and a quick and efficient tech stop if necessary - this can also be arranged at the last minute on an 'as needed' basis depending on the daily winds

Westbound - stop in CYYR to have your passengers clear Canada Customs while the the jet is being fueled and make for an easy arrival back into CYYC or CYVR

amraam

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Not a "true" 73G, but is the BBJ and option? I k ow those can be outfitted with tanks in the cargo hold to give them INSANE range.

Return to “General Comments”