OPD in YXL and ATC/FSS

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

OPD in YXL and ATC/FSS

Post by cdnpilot77 »

2 things deserve some great pats on the back from today!

To the crew of OPD in YXL this morning, you guys did a hell of a good job making sure you got down safely and without bending the airplane! We were the first plane down after the runway re-opened and it was less than 10minutes from your touchdown. Great job!

To YXL FSS and Winnipeg Centre staff working the 132.2 and 135.15 sectors, you guys also did a bang on job today with handling the emergency in YXL and the affected inbound/outbound traffic and also being very efficient with the weather issues this evening around YXL.

:prayer: to all the true professionals out there!
---------- ADS -----------

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: OPD in YXL and ATC/FSS

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Details? I used to fly at Air Bravo and flew with a couple of the guys from the OPP who flew OPD, so I'd be interested to hear what heppened.

AEROMONKEY
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by AEROMONKEY »

i heard today that they had an engine failure at FL180...glad there was and airport close by!!

D_Thissen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by D_Thissen »

dune
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dune »

Great job indeed.

flyboy8035
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyboy8035 »

It just goes to show that annual Sim training is worth every dollar, it turned an in flight engine shut down into a non-event, just like the last 3 times in the Sim.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Guys, read the cadors. There was no in flight shutdown, they shut it down on the runway after landing. Also, it was two minutes after departure, I doubt they were at FL180. You guys are sensationalizing this almost as bad as the media.

Good job to the crew for not making it worse.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Actually redneck they did shut it down on final, not on the runway...hard to get a pilatus on the ground with frozen torque on a high power setting I'm guessing, and they made a call shortly before touchdown that they were dead stick. I just read the update on the Cadors and I think they must be referring to the avionics shutdown and securing of the airplane etc on the runway.

They were not at FL180 I don't not believe and as indicated in the cadors. I only caught the tail end of their declared emergency call so didn't catch the altitude, but we flew about 20miles at 180kts and entered the hold just as they got on the ground. I didn't hear them declare on centre only on YXL radio so guessing they may have only been in the climb through 4-5000ft. I stand to be corrected on that point though.

flyboy8035
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyboy8035 »

Hi the update on the CADORS by TSB is not correct. The power would not reduce during the after take off checks and they stopped the climb out at about 2500 before entering cloud, put the gear and flaps down to reduce the speed, then shut down the engine about 2 miles final and dead sticked it in. They landed on rwy 16 right on the numbers and had enough speed to exit on Alpha before coming to a stop. The crew had done that very scenario 9 months prior in the Sim.

CFR
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CFR »

..."Please note that for the most part, CADORS reports contain preliminary, unconfirmed data which can be subject to change."

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

They did shut the engine down, I heard that it went to max power and they could not bring the power back. OPD is on it's last legs. It's being replaced in January with a new model. The boys have to get 5 days of conversion training done to get used to the new cockpit! The glass in new PC12's is apparently insane!!!

flyalmaguin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyalmaguin »

Can't wait to see the new Pilatus in the latest OPP colour scheme! Hopefully it will be as nice as the newest helicopters :D

Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

They are NOT too happy with the new choppers...pretty much all they are is "pretty" from what I hear! But that's a whole other story that I don't know all the details about...

boogs82
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by boogs82 »

Lots of restrictions and limitations compared to the old choppers from what I'm told.

Great work guys. I'm happy I wasn't aboard when it happened but even more happy that everybody is safe and sound :)

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

The court officers that were on board OPD were then chartered to go to Big Trout Lake on a SkyCare Navajo which went mechanical (not sure of the circumstances) in flight and had to return to YXL. They eventually made it to YTL on a chartered Wasaya PC12. Fun day for those boys.

boogs82
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by boogs82 »

I'm thinking the black cloud was the court officers and not the aircraft :)

Return to “General Comments”