Old radial engine

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Old radial engine

Post by North Shore »

^ Geez, I'd hate to see that powering an aeroplane - what does it produce - 3 or 4 Horsepower?
---------- ADS -----------

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

North Shore wrote:^ Geez, I'd hate to see that powering an aeroplane - what does it produce - 3 or 4 Horsepower?
The "waste" steam from the third stage of some triple expansion marine engines was enough to power low pressure steam turbines of several thousand horse power.

Edo
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Edo »

check out the other stuff on the site NothShore linked to

For those who never want to get laid again.....
http://www.motoart.com/beds/mile-high-bed

But if your Wife simply cannot put down "50 Shades" maybe this is in order..

http://www.motoart.com/beds/c-124-cargo-bed

Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Driving Rain »

You're very close NS. The Sawyer Massey I watched this year driving a saw mill was putting out a whopping 7hp and needed 7 men to operate.

Last edited by Driving Rain on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

azimuthaviation wrote:
North Shore wrote:^ Geez, I'd hate to see that powering an aeroplane - what does it produce - 3 or 4 Horsepower?
The "waste" steam from the third stage of some triple expansion marine engines was enough to power low pressure steam turbines of several thousand horse power.
Oh, sure, but they probably had a boiler the size of a house to produce the steam. Which brings about a question...did the old steamships have freshwater tanks to replenish the boilers? Or did they condense the used steam and reuse the water thus obtained?

azimuthaviation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by azimuthaviation »

North Shore wrote:
azimuthaviation wrote:
Oh, sure, but they probably had a boiler the size of a house to produce the steam. Which brings about a question...did the old steamships have freshwater tanks to replenish the boilers? Or did they condense the used steam and reuse the water thus obtained?
They did have a closed loop system where after the final stage the steam was converted back into water and returned to the boilers, however they also carried fresh water tanks to replace losses along the line.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

The condensers were an important part of the overall power scheme for efficient cruising. The "triple expansion" part of the reciprocating engines took the exhaust from a high pressure cylinder to drive a mid-pressure cylinder, the exhaust of which drove a low pressure cylinder or even two, and the exhaust from that could drive a turbine, usually with its own screw. Then the steam went to condensers which were cooled by seawater. The drop in pressure due to condensing actually created a lower-than-atmospheric pressure in the exhaust part of the loop, increasing the differential in pressure between the boiler and the condensers. [The very earliest steam engines (Newcomen pumping engines) derived ALL of their power from the "suction" created by condensation and none at all from the pressure or expansion of the steam!] Ships also had desalinators on board for feedwater as well as for potable water.

I like steam engines.

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

Does anybody know who made the largest Radial piston engine? It's easy to look up.

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycoming_XR-7755

Last edited by beaverbob on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Driving Rain »

Would I be lying if I said lycoming?

The engine first started testing at 5,000 hp (3,700 kW) in 1944 with the XR-7755-3, but demonstrated terrible reliability problems. Never flew to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited by Driving Rain on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

Driving Rain wrote:Would I be lying if isaid lycoming?
No

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

According to Wikipedia only two were built before the project was halted in 1946. I wish I could have heard four of them on take off.

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Driving Rain wrote:Would I be lying if I said lycoming?

The engine first started testing at 5,000 hp (3,700 kW) in 1944 with the XR-7755-3, but demonstrated terrible reliability problems. Never flew to the best of my knowledge.
Depends on whether we talking about one that saw service or not, and whether we're strictly talking aero use as well. Largest to see service was the P&W R-4360, the largest for aero use was probably the lycoming aforementioned. One of the largest would have to have been the Zvezda M503.

That all hardly matters though since if you want style you got to go with sleeve valves. :D

Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Driving Rain »

Just a guess, but I'm thinking Spandau will never be back on AVCanada.....pity

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

I went out for another New Year dinner tonight. An old radial engine has nothing over me now. My wife had to "Roll" me out of there to go home. :rolleyes:

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Driving Rain wrote:Just a guess, but I'm thinking Spandau will never be back on AVCanada.....pity
Hmm...it WOULD be a pity, since I thought he made some very good points about radial engines being a bit of an art form to start. It would seem that from your comment about having thousands of hours behind radials you know a bit about dick-waving yourself. I believe all he was trying to do was point out that certain people are in far too eager a hurry to denigrate old technology and by extension, old values that actually may HAVE value. Like, knowing how to do more than flick the switches like a monkey to start an engine. But I guess people either get that, or they don't. C'est la vie.

Anyway, back to the uhhh steam train circle-jerk?

Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Driving Rain »

Agreed. I was commenting on his post before that. One that the moderator had to remove. You know a simple search of a members profile and previous postings would've clued him in. It's not like he's new here his profile shows he's been a member since 2008.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

complexintentions wrote: Anyway, back to the uhhh steam train circle-jerk?
Unless I've missed something here, I haven't seen a single train in this thread. What a stupid thing to say.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

I haven't seen a circle jerk here, either.

Oh my god. DO NOT GOOGLE IMAGES CIRCLE JERK,
in search of some amusing eye candy to put here.

:smt078

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Ha,ha. Backfired, did it?

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

complexintentions wrote:
Driving Rain wrote:Just a guess, but I'm thinking Spandau will never be back on AVCanada.....pity
Hmm...it WOULD be a pity, since I thought he made some very good points about radial engines being a bit of an art form to start. It would seem that from your comment about having thousands of hours behind radials you know a bit about dick-waving yourself. I believe all he was trying to do was point out that certain people are in far too eager a hurry to denigrate old technology and by extension, old values that actually may HAVE value. Like, knowing how to do more than flick the switches like a monkey to start an engine. But I guess people either get that, or they don't. C'est la vie.

Anyway, back to the uhhh steam train circle-jerk?
That's exactly why I put the steam engine reference in there..... so that somebody would lament the passing of one old technology while insulting a much older one. The more things change, the more they stay the same.....

Return to “General Comments”